Cystoscopy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had a cystoscopy today. Said prostate looked tight from the inside which may be causing retention. Any ideas what treatments would be useful or has anybody else been told that? 

Been told it's a normal size from the outside?

did flow test and said  flow wasn't good. PSA at 0.4 also he told me today nothing sinister. ultra sound kidneys normal apart from a small stone which I have had for years and was zapped but didn't budge. 

Suffer from back pain. Guy at the ultra sound said I retained a lot today but about 10mins after peeing into the flow metre and leaving the hospital I peed a couple of times and felt empty.

any comments most welcome.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey John sorry to hear about your issue. I've been deal with what the doctor is calling prostatitis for about 6 weeks now. On Ceftin now for 2 weeks after 19 days on cipro and had side effects of tendonitis in my legs and arms. If this round of antibiotics doesn't help alieviate the urinary irritation and pelvic pain the urologist is going to do a cystoscopy. I'm terrified at the thought of that. Was wondering if you can share your experience. He said it will be done in his office with a numbing gel. I've read up on it a bit and I'm more worried about how it's going to feel during and after. I don't need anymore discomfort down there.

Thanks!

• Posted

Don't worry it's over in about 2mins it's a bit uncomfortable but it doesn't really hurt.  
    • Posted

Mikey. The Cysto is really no big deal. They inject a gel which numbs you up (it's cold going in).  Note that the device they use is physically longer than the numbing gel activates, so there will be a little pain as they push the scope past the numbed area. Again, uncomfortable, not a sharp stabbing pain or anything. They take a quick peek, probably under 2o seconds and slowly pull the scope out. No bleeding and virtually no discomfort walking out of the office. 30 minutes later you won't remember even having it done.
    • Posted

Wow! Tim, thank you!!!! This really helps put me at ease. I kept reading crap from medical site that mentioned possible risks and stuff and it had my freaking out!! I really just want to get to the bottom this. I've been dealing with urethral irritation, testicle aching, and pelvic aches for 6 weeks. Doesn't hurt or burn when I pee but a lingering irritation after. Sometimes worse after ejaculating but then better for a little while. It's so weird. This came out of nowhere and out of the blue. Really frustrating. I appreciate you taking the time to comment and offer some peace of mind. Thanks!!
    • Posted

I've had 2 of them done. Both times the doc promised to use the "numbing gel", and that it wouldn't hurt. It hurt. My recommendation is to tell the doc that you will grab a sensitive part of his anatomy if it hurts, and see if he changes the story. It may be necessary, but. ..... They are supposed to have the gel very cold, and leave it in place for several minutes before they begin the process, and that will minimize the pain, but they didn't do that with me. That said, it only takes a few minutes. ...

Neal

• Posted

I had high retention. The urologists said the only solution was a TURP - or prostatectomy where the prrrostate is bored out. There are several types, from a surgeons knife, using one of two types of lsers, and a procedure called urolift where the lobes of the prostate are pinned back. The latter appears to be the best option if you are gith for it. The others carry a risk of erectile disfunction.

There are drugs which relax the muscles - mine was called tamsulosin. Which worked fine for a while.

No doubt your urologist will discuss what are the best options for you.

I expect others to here to give perhaps better information.

• Posted

Don't forget the prostate artery embolism PAE. You can read about it on this site and the internet.

Neal

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. He actually told me during the scope that it was nothing that required surgery but the ultrasound I had after said I was retaining a lot. I am on tamulosin already so I guess it may be more drugs? 
  • Posted

John,

I had a cysto as well about 6 weeks ago. Truth is, I had been putting off treatment for years. My supposed walnut sized prostate had grown to the size of your fist. Urologist commented it was one of the largest he'd seen (not the world champ?). I had a TERP 3 weeks ago today, and while the first 2 weeks were pretty rough with very painful urination, bleeding and no ability to "hold it", this week is much better. Bleeding is stopped, and pelvic floor excercises have really helped a TON in the retention area. Still have some painful urination, but it gets better a little each day.

Flow is like I was a teen again. Not recommending a TERP, as that's a discussion between you and your doc, but I am very happy with results 3 weeks into it.

• Posted

John,

It's really gonna be ok. Like I mentioned, the numbing gel works well for the first few inches, and there is a bit of discomfort when they push past that area, but the docs don't dwell there, the entire saga is probably under 60-90 seconds. Let them take a peek. Mine took a look and said it needed to be Terp'd, he was right. I'm way better now. 3 weeks today. Let me know how it all goes.

• Posted

I just finished reading your entire note, sorry. Your symptoms with the sore testicles (mine was the right one) and the painful ejaculation (pain and burning), identicle to my symptoms. Testicle pain is now gone completely, ejaculation has no pain (I know you're supposed to wait a month, but I had to give it a try), but it is a "dry" ejaculation because of the TERP. Your doc should discuss this with you because after a TERP, your baby making days are pretty much over. I knew nothing of the treatment where they "tie" the area of the prostate back to relieve the pressure. All I'd been able to find is that it lasts a few years. I'm 62 now, my doc says I have a solid 20+ years ahead of me before I may begin to see symptoms again. I'll probably be loony as a squirrel by that time. One can only hope..........Keep me posted if you like.

• Posted

Thanks Tim. I'm only 39!!

Doc says microscopic blood in urine. He's not concerned with it. Says prostate feels ok. No infection in urine and cells in urine are clear of cancer. He has me on Ceftin now for 2 weeks. Tomorrow is day 7. I did cipro for 19 days before I started having tendon and muscle pains and had to stop. He says the antibiotics are just in case there is an infecrion. The irritation is like is something was stuffed up my pee hole. The aching in testicles alternates between my right and left testicle. Sometimes I feel like I have pressure in my rectum and makes me feel like I have to pass a bowel. I'm now able to get through the night most times without getting up for the bathroom but the last 2 nights I did get up once. I noticed last week during a prostate massage my partner gave me I oozed a whole lot of what looked like precum. My partner thought I had ejaculated. Right after that I did ejaculate and the pain did go go away for about 12-24 hours. It thought I had cured it lol but then it came back. Going to try the massage again tonight.

• Posted

Good day to you John,

I had the Urolift procedure about 6 months ago,   to me that was a better option than having my prostate lasered or cut to open the urine passage way.   The method using clips to hold back the walls of the prostate to allow urine flow seemed to be a way better option,  it has only been approved in the U S  for a short time but great successes in Europe.    I am totally happy with my decision,   my urine flow is crazy good and I start quick,   i sleep all night and I feel like my ejaculations are much  stronger and last a little longer.     A great decision for me.     I will say that for about a week after the procedure my prostate was swollen due to obvious reasons, and had to have a catheter for a few days.   Doc had me take acetemenaphen/motrin/advil,  about a couple of days after the cath was removed I just started going great, and been happy ever since!

Check it out,  just google Urolift,   

Good luck friend!

• Posted

Yo, Jonny Jon,

I was not able to get your response any furhter than where you  said your doc told you no surgery required.    Just want you to know that the urolift is not a surgery, but a procedure.    You are awake and aware of all that is happening and it painless,   a little uncomfortable but only for about 15 minutes.   Thats it bro!

Again good luck to you,  keep being pro active!

Anthony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.