D day REZUM 6/30/2017 and after the treatment

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 59 yrs old, good health besides BPH, jogging daily except Sunday for almot 20 yrs, before treatment take 1 procar + 2 Flomax everyday around 7 yrs, when bladder not full can pee around 120cc each time and if drink lots of liquid, bladder full, can only pee around 50cc each time and then...

06/30/17 Treat with REZUM and with Catheter on for 3 days; felt not comfortable and took Tyleno when feel little fever & headache , decide to remove catheter, but after 7 hours still can't let it out, zero urine, so put catheter back on for another 5 days, feel almost the same like the first 3 days, actually the 4th & 5th day felt better than before( I mean body) and remove catheter off on the 5th days, can pee, but oh my god, rather with catheter on for another 3 days, because when without catheter can pee, but have to use all my effort my body can do to pee and still pee from 0 to 10 to 20, situation last for 3 days, today is 07/10/17 wake up the morning and pee although only 25-50cc but pee easy, no need to use big effort, cmopare to the last 9 days, today is heaven.

REZUM treatment is easy, only take my Doctors 10 min. I saw it on monitor to treat my prostate, and I though I can goto work after 3 or 5 days, but to me, at least 10 days to recover, I think if you lay down on bed for the most of time, maybe can recover in 7 days, but it's ot easy, because, during the time, although you can walk, but slow, sleep on beed for too long will get tired too, to seat will feel preasure on your prostate, so better lay down.

OK, guys send me your question, I wish everyone can get good health, especially has no problem with BPH

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Morris,

Are you able to urinate without the catheter now? If not, or if you voids are very small, instead of putting the Foley back in, consider self catheriation (CIC) until things naturally resolve. CIC has several advantages over the Foley, including more freedom of movement, nothing in the urethra, and less chance of infection. It also gives you the opportunity to cath only when, and how much, you need it, rather than be draining 24/7. There are lots of use here who have and are self cathing, for various reasons. Most people take it up very quickly, and with practice only takes a minute or two. 

Jim

• Posted

In that case I think you might find CIC preferable to wearing a Foley for reasons previously given.

Jim

• Posted

Thank you, since I already start slow jogging yesterday and I always sweat a lot, maybe around 500cc sweat, and then I go like 3 times an hour, so bladder feel OK, when I massage the area, feel normal
    • Posted

Thank you and do you know where I can get Foley? Ride aid and do I need prescription?
    • Posted

Hi Morris,

It's not called a Foley when you self cath. It's just called a catheter for self cathing. 

No, you probably won't find them in drug stores and even medical supply stores have limited selections. Most of us work with online distributors who mail us the catheters each month. 

Yes, an Rx is required, at least from the major distributors. Do you have Medicare or another insurance that covers catheters? If you have Medicare, they pay for up to 200 catheters a month. 

If your not having any meaningful voids, that usually translates into 6 catheters day or 180 a month. So have your urologist write a rx for 6x/day. If you have any obstruction from your prostate, I also recommend you start with a hydrophillic catheter with a Coude (bent) tip in size FR14. The online distributor can help with the rx and paperwork.

Jim

• Posted

Some popular catheters here are the Coloplast Speedicath coude, the Coloplast  FLEX Coude, Lofric Origo Coude, and the Bard Magic 3 hydrophillic Coude catheters. The distributors will send you free samples, so you might want to try more than one in the beginning. With the exception of the Coloplast FLEX coude, the tip of the other catheters have to be oriented properly. So make sure you learn about that before using. More information in the self cathing threads, or you can ask more questions there. Here's a link:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/self-catherization-issues-and-problems-552686

• Posted

I was interested in the Rezum procedure until my Urologist told me its efficacy was the same as the TUNA which I had and did not have good luck with.  The only difference is the way the procedure is done; radio waves vs stream.
    • Posted

Yes that is true.  But one cuts at the prostate and the other steam.  With the rezum procedure you have a better chance of not getting retro.  I myself would have done Rezum first instead of having him cut out my prostate.  THey do the same make a tunnel.  I hope you get better.  It seams like your doctor talk you into something he wanted to do not what you wanted  Hope you get better  Ken  
    • Posted

Actually it is a very different procedure than a conventional TUNA (Prostiva.) 

We have had great success with it with many of our patients who had previously failed an old-style TUNA procedure. Early studies are promising as well.

• Posted

Hi JerseyDoc,

Does your practice use the temporary Spanner Stent either as a Foley alternative or as a diagnostic device?

Based on some studies and testimonials on their web site, it sounds like a novel alternative/adjunct to urodynamics in differentiating obstruction versus bladder function with LUTS.

Apparently if the patient is able to void with the stent in place, that suggests a functioning bladder and good surgical outcome, but if the patient still retains with the stent, then that suggests a bladder issue and a compromised surgical outcome. 

And unlike urodynamics, it actually gives the patient a real world demo of what their voiding will be like after a prostate reduction surgery or procedure, according to the manufacturer. 

Seems like you get a lot for a ten minute relatively non invasive procedure, and yet we don't hear about it a lot.  

Jim

• Posted

Yes.

We were the pioneering practice for the use of this with the procedure 

• Posted

So does it work, as advertised, ie -- If the patient can empty well with the stent then they will tend to do well with a prostate reduction procedure, and if they retain with the stent, they won't?  

Also, if you're using the stent for diagnostic purposes, do you: (1) put it in, see if the patient can void or not and take it out. Test done; or (2) put it in, send the patient home with the stent for a week or so, assuming they can void in the office. If they can't void in office, take it out. 

Jim

• Posted

How is the efficacy different?  When I had the TUNA, it worked for about 1 1/2 years. 
    • Posted

It is a very different energy source with significant anatomical changes postoperatively

That being said, it is a relatively newer procedure, and can't tell you what happens 10 years down the road

• Posted

It's not  perfect but it is a decent proximation. We mainly use it postoperatively to avoid a catheter 

• Posted

What I don't quite understand is why the stent needs adequate detrusor pressure to work, since for example a Foley does not require detrusor pressure.

As I understand it, both have a tube going into the bladder held in place by a balloon. The only difference is that the Foley exists the urethra and the stent remains just short of the external sphincter. 

With the external sphincter shut, I get that the urine will not flow, but that's regardless if there's detrusor pressure or not. 

However, I would think that once the external sphincter volunarily relaxes/opens, both the Spanner and Foley would function the same. In other words at that point (external sphincter open) shouldn't the Spanner empty the bladder whether there's detrusor pressure or not?  But it doesn't in cases of inadequate detrusor pressure, according to the manufacturer. 

Maybe you could help explain why. Thanks. 

Jim

• Posted

I understand why there's no retro with PAE and Urolift. But why would be there such a low rate of retro with Rezum? Like TURP and Greenlight, it destroys prostate tissue. What's different about Rezum?

When Greenlight first came out, the rate of retro was relatively low, compared with TURP. But then urologists realized that for long-lasting effects, they had to destroy more tissue, and the rate of retro went up. I have to wonder if the same thing will happen with Rezum.

• Posted

It could be as high as 5-10% from what I read here. That's not "low" in my book. 

Jim

• Posted

Well, it's a lot lower than TURP or Greenlight. Every uro I've talked to (and I've talked to quite a few) has said that if done right--that is, if enough tissue is destroyed--TURP and Greenlight almost always cause some degree of retro. 

Don

• Posted

That is good to know But we look at %.  I feel i to 2 % would be good but like Jim said 5 to 10% is to high.  I think alot of me would go for help sooner if the side effect were lower.  Will all the procedures we have they should be ajusted to the patient and the way he want it done not so cut and dry.  If a patient want a GL or some other laser.  If the patient is afaid of retro and tell the doctor to stay away from the bladder neck and the duct and seminal vesselh e should do that for his patient.  Or with Rezum.  If the patient said I will try that but I only want the right side of the prostate done. I don't want the lift touch  it should be done.  The steam does not know what is good tissue or bad and if you steam the left side you are going to damage the good stuff on that side.  Retro is very high I know you tell every 4% but it more like 10 to 15%.  I know I have read some men after a procedure say loosing there ejaculation is a small price to pay to pee a little better.  But why should be have to pay anything we should not have to give up anything.  Life is to short to live out your day with that ejaculation it goes with my orgasm.  God gave it to me and no man is going to take it away.  I am a very stubborn man and I do not give full control to any doctor no matter what it is.  Take care and thank for being on here and have a good day  Ken

• Posted

I have been told by my urologist that it is substantially higher than that at around 20% after 2 years.
    • Posted

Turp and GL you get retro because the doctor don't care what they cut out they will cut every thing in there way. Doctor do not feel we need it because we are passed having kids.  I got a e-mail from one of the Rezum nurses when i asked about retro.  She sthatrez um does not cause retroBut sheal sosaid being the prostate will be smaller you will get less fluid.  But we have had some men on here that have had it done. And within a month they were dryed up.  Rezum caused them to have retro. Take care  kEN          

• Posted

That is to high.  I would never that that chance  Have a good day  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.