Da Vinci for Turp??

Posted , 14 users are following.

I just had a cystocopy and it seems like I am headed for a TURP.

My local urologist seems quite competent but I am wondering if I would do better with a large medical center perhaps equipped with robotic surgery like Da Vinci.

Advice will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 94 replies

94 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The Da Vinci system is used in Robot-assisted Laproscopic Radical Prostatectomies to rid the body of a prostate with localised cancer.. If you only have an enlarged prostate, with symptoms such as nocturia, urgency, etc, then consider a PAE. The PAE is carried out by Interventional Radiologists, and will not be favoured by Radiologists, who will tell you it is an experimental procedure. That's because it cuts across their future income.
    • Posted

...that should have been 'not favoured by UROLOGISTS because' ....
  • Posted

Consider TURP only if you can withstand a recovery period of almost a year. Green Light Laser is almost as bad , Most urologists will not do or recommend any newer procedures because their malpractice insurance will not cover them. Insurance companies regard them as experimental which has not stood the test of time.
    • Posted

That is true and because the turp and laser are what they know.  But the FDA are aproving some of the others.  To invasive and the side effects suck.  Ken  Glad I had a urolift 
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

I am 58 and have been on Tamsulosin and Finasteride for a year with all negative side effects, during last month. I declined TURP last week and The good notice is I'm now candidate for Urolift. ....but..... from my pocket.

How was the cost for your procedure ?  And how many staples worked for you ? Where ?

Thanks

• Posted

Hello I'm on Wellcare and it was paid for.  The only thing I had to give up front was $200 for the surgery center.  My doctor put in 4 implate.  Alls been good for me  Ken  What kind of insurence do you have ken
    • Posted

Ken,

I not a candidate for PAE and do not want a TURP, but am very interested in Urolift. Since you have had it done, would you please describe your experience with the procedure and your recovery in the days and weeks following. 

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Tom

• Posted

Sure no problem Tom.  I was on many meds some help and some I did not like the side effect ( retro )  I have a stricture and I have it check that is how my doctor found out my prostate was inlarged.  He had a lot of trouble getting into the bladder.  .My doctor who is a very nice guys never sid anything to me about a Turp or Laser.  He told me about the urolift procedure and said that it would be the best to open me up.  I told him ok and we did it 4 weeks later.  I went in to the center.  Before I had it done my urologist came and talked to me.  I have trouble peeing on demand.  So he said that he would put a catheter in to help me pee for the first few days and to help with the bleeding.  You will have very some but not alot.  It took about 45 minute to have the 4 implant put in I work up and was not in alot of pain but some discomfort. Not a fan of catheters but it was a blessing.My erine was clearn by that evening. I just rested for a few days. The next day I had to drive my son downtown to jury duty.  He could not get a ride.  Just put my pants on and went and came back.  Wed I went to the doctor to have the catheter removed.  The nurse put in 250cc od saline in to help me pee. When t came out there was not problem.  The only thing I did was ware a pad the first day to be safe.  I went out after and within 15 minutes I had to go again. could not make it to the bathroom.  I peed next to my car and the pad held it all.  That was the only time that happen.  The first 24 hour it did burn to pee but that is normal.  I took it easy for the first 2 weeks but by the end of the first week I was off all pills and had no problem.  It will be 1 year and I'm still doing great.  I am glad I did it.  If you need any more information.  I would be happen to talk to you anytime.  Take care  Ken  
    • Posted

Hi Ken,

I have a medical insurance from my credit card just when I travel, but dont have any specific insurance or insurance company in USA, thats why I think most be from my pocket. Any way I'm sure Urolift is less expensive there, than in my country where is available but too expensive. I think I need 4 implant.

As you know well, in this case we are ready to go anywhere in the world to fix a prostate problem !  Thanks a lot for your answer. And if you know a mean or a contact to get the Urolift procedure at low cost I will apreciate the information. Vic 

• Posted

Ken,

Thanks for your reply. Compared with what I have read about TURP and some of the laser procedures the Urolift seems to be both effective and has less recovery issues. I can completely understand the catheter - the Urolift releases pressure on the bladder muscles and so it would not be a surprise to have an accident until everything settles down. 

After radiation for prostate cancer my prostate got swollen and I was unable to urinate, so had to use 6 Foley catheters over a period of 5 weeks until the swelling went down and I could urinate again on my own. I got used to having the catheter in so if I had to have another one in for a few days - no problem. 

Were you "knocked out" during the procedure? What about pain for the days following? 

Tom

• Posted

Yes I was I had general  He gave me pain pills but only took a few the first day.  I had some left.  It was very easy for me Had more pain from the catheter then the procedure.  It was the right thing for me to do. After a year still doing great  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

...and I had only a local (anesthesia), so it could be done in the doctor's clinic, no hospital,  and yes, I used pain pills.  No catheter needed after installation of the impants!  (Yes, still cath 4 months later, but due to a stretched out bladder; the Urolift was successful for me as well...

Surgery on a Tuesday, traveled on Thursday, stacking firewood on Friday.  Great recovery!  :-)

• Posted

Yes it could be.  I had mind done in the center done stairs from the office.  Have a great day  Ken
  • Posted

Also, and not knowing your age:  Medicare covers Urolift now (It was approved by the FDA two years ago, after many years of use in Europe. Dr. Steve Ganges in Salt Lake City did the trials; I chose to fly there for the procedure, and had the best possible experience; I would recommend him specifically if you're looking for recommendations!  :-)  My local uro-doc (in PA), newly-certified Urolift doc,  is graciously covering the follow-up.  The Urolift, btw, is appropriate where the prostate weighs between 40 and 80 grams (mine was only 39 grams, which made it a tad dicey.), and there is no medial lobe.  I mentioned stacking firewood three days post-surgery, to emphasize how quickly I recovered: two days feeling definitely "post-op-woozy (and in pain), then one travel day and then back home and back to handling chores!  :-)

• Posted

Thank you all for the great advice.

You've changed my thinking.  I've got to do a lot more research before making a decision.  Especially about PAE and Urolift

I'll be sure to let you know what I do and how it works out.

In the meantime more comments and information will be very welcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.