Daily Fat Allowance?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Happy New Year fellow Orlistat takers!

I started taking Orlistat today but just wanted to clarify . . . . . is it 15g of fat per meal totalling 45g of fat per day or is it 30g of fat per day split between 3 meals?

Can anyone confirm please?

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It's recommended that you don't exceed 30g of fat per day (15g in each meal) or you could experience the orange oil!! When eating any ready meals, I tend to stick to those with less than 5g of fat per 100g and have been fine.

Good luck!

• Posted

max of 30g a day with no more than 15g in any one meal

basically if u have 3g for breakie and 7g for lunch you can't have the remainder of 20g for dinner, 15g is the max per meal

good luck smile

if u get some time read thru the forum, theres lotts of useful advice

• Posted

Brilliant - thank you both for your quick responses.

:D

I will have a good look through the forum to get some tips.

Best Wishes

Andrea

• Posted

A meal that contains some fat (no more than 30% of the calories for that meal. For example, if you eat 1200 calories per day, no more than 360 of those calories should be in the form of fat.

The following side effects occur commonly with the use of orlistat. They are the natural effects of orlistat's fat-blocking action and are actually signs that your medication is working properly.

These side effects are usually temporary and may lessen as you continue treatment with orlistat:

■[b:0ad739d292]oily spotting in your undergarments;

■oily or fatty stools;

■orange or brown colour oil in your stool; :oops:

■gas with discharge, an oily discharge;

■loose stools, or an urgent need to go to the bathroom, inability to control bowel movements;

■an increased number of bowel movements[/b:0ad739d292]

• Posted

Hi,

Been on the blues now since April and had a lot of help from quill drill and Andy R when i started.

Just a bit concerned about the posting, apologies if i have read this wrong, but if you are experoiencing the 'side effects' of oil spotting, orange stools or needing to go to the loo frequently it means that you have eaten [u:d4ba369f02][b:d4ba369f02]too[/b:d4ba369f02][/u:d4ba369f02] much fat in your meal/diet.

My leaflet that came with the zenecol tablets was to eat as healthy as you can and try not to eat too much food that has fat over 5g per 100g.

I only experienced the above side effects with my first tablet and put this down to flushing out remnants of high fat. I also had the bloating for a few days. But nothing after that. Perhaps I am one of the fortunate few.

Nine months in and have now lost five and a half stone so am just reaching my target and will be stopping the tablets very soon.

Good luck, it seems huge at first, one thing that helped me was that I altered each meal to a healthier version in turn. ie started wuth breakfast, then lunch and finally dinner.

Keep losing!

Sasx

• Posted

Hi Everyone.

Yesterday was my first day and although breakfast and lunch were easy - dinner was more chalenging than I thought. As never done a low fat diet before, normally just SW or WW where its all in a book - I was shocked at working out I could only have half of the small packet of extra lean mince which I worked out was aroun 9.5g of fat - then normal pasta I never knew had fat in!!1 so I weighed it to get 100g for 1.7g of fat - then was about 1 in huge jar of passata (make bolognaise) so that was basically my whole fat allowance for the meal gone - and had no cheese (usually have parmesan or low fat cheese) and really missed it!!!!

But now I am stuck - I read on the chicken thighs my husband had that there was like 30g of fat in one - but I assume this is with the skin on - need to look online today to see if can find list of fat contents of chicken, steak etc salmon - which is what I normally eat for dinner during the week on SW and it is fine - if can't - this is going to be harder than I thought.......

Can I check something - I am using the rule of 30g for the day and no more than 15g in 1 given meal. But I see some other pointers on the forum about no more than 5g of fat per 100g etc Not sure what to follow.

Had no main side effects yet except last night had stomach aches and noticed felt windy etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.