Dairy and LS

Posted , 12 users are following.

Cutting out dairy is not the answer for some people. Dairy foods rich in calcium and vitamin D such as yoghurt and nuts are  compulsory for people at risk or who have osteoporosis. Also oily fish and cereals. I am a fitness professional so I know what to eat and what not to eat. Vegestables such as broccolie sprouts and cauliflower also have the relevant nutrients for this group of people. Cutting out dairy is a total no no.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you - I am very wary of dietary advice based on anectodal evidence alone -

I have just read that iodine is lacking in people who only have organic milk...because the non organic milks have iodine added- hence lack of goitres so prevelant in the years before 1930's. Maybe those with thyroid deficiencies may be better off with non organic dairy foods?

By the way what do you define as dairy foods? Milk based products alone or are eggs included as many seem to do so?

• Posted

Fish meat cream eggs and milk and also cheese. (I never eat cheese too high in saturated fat, or cream) Forgot to mention eggs these are good for osteoporotic people and contain vitamin A. The old saying everything in moderation is very true. Alcohol excessiively is bad for osteoporosis. And early menopause can be a contributory factor, and I think smoking also. I have heard that organic foods are not cracked up to be as good as they are supposed to be., so your comment on organic milk does not surprise me.
  • Posted

Thank you for your comments.  The paleo-auto immune diet prohibits dairy and nuts...which I found strange as it would seem to at least allow yogurt.  I am going to do a modified version of the diet...had already decided to keep on with my yogurt...will make my own...but will at least have my almonds and walnuts as well as I know both are so very good for you. Thank you for confirming my feelings on this subject.  I will still have my oils, fish... and non-gmo and non-gluten cereals.  Plan to also make my own bread.
  • Posted

Both me and my sister can only tolerate a good quality yoghurt. (something in the genes?)  Cheese triggers my LS. Milk makes me nauseated. Taking vit D as a supplement. 
  • Posted

Dairy is important in the diet.  It does not upset my Crohns either. I have a variety of auto immune diseases and I believe LS is auto immune! 

People seem to be searching rather than researching. Not all writing on the web is valuable. Unless there are studies and evidence based material it is mere hearsay! Then you compare the worthwhile writings and seek out the arguments in a scholarly manner. 

A balanced diet that covers all the vitamins and minerals is best unless you have allergies or intolerances. Then add things like fish oil and calcium and vitamin d, etc.

• Posted

A girl after my own thinking!! Too much anecdotal views are taken seriously without empiric evidence to back up the theories, it is refreshing to  read your comments
    • Posted

Thanks Suedm! My blood tests showed I was lacking albumin so I am making sure I have eggs a couple of times a week now.  

Processed foods are bad for everyone and fresh is best which I think most people agree with that.

• Posted

In the UK you can buy iodised salt, I use the brand my mum used to get in the 70s, even then lack of iodine was a concern. It comes in a yellow cardboard tube with a redy brown lid. Cerebos I think. I only find it in the larger supermarkets though, so have to stock up. Seaweed would help too, you have to be careful not to have too much though.

The food industry keeps changing its mind about what is good for us or not, and the suppliment industry keeps coming up with new superfoods to sell us. It's difficult to know who to trust. I think I'm in the everything-in-moderation camp, but then my LS is stable. I might feel differently if it wasn't.

Thanks to everyone who shares what works for them, we are all different and it gives us things to try so we can find out what works for each of us. And thanks to all the words of warning too, it all feeds into the bigger picture of how we tackle our health. I'm really grateful to be part of this community.

My hobby-horse is processed food which I avoid as far as possible. It can't be good for us. If the food industry's primary objective is to make money out of us, how can you trust them to feed us in ways which keep us healthy?

I started a big rant there but thought I wouldn't inflict it on you all and pressed the delete button!

• Posted

One good thing about this forum is that you CAN rant!!

why not start a ranting topic???

Your comments made me smile!

Far too much sugar is put into prepared foods we buy. I was horrified when I started to read the ingredients - not because of the E numbers but all the Other Stuff I Dont put into my food when cooking!

but then I am from the generation that was lucky and was taught to cook form scratch- both at home and at school

Sadly the young havent had that opportunity as mothers often work and schools teach - or did teach food techology NOT basic cooking. - I could rant on all day....! Sue

• Posted

I was raised as a from scratch cook...yes, I like to know what's going into my food! Raised my daughter's the same and fortunately the eldest has kept with it.  My youngest is still learning...and is starting to cook this summer. I worked but kept a garden and still can tomatoes, applesauce, peaches and a few other things...plus do a fair amount of frozen fruits. Am going back this spring and summer to a small kitchen garden.
    • Posted

My kids grew up with the term 'honest food" while the whole world around them seemed to have forgotten and endulged the 'artificial foods.'  I still got LS and various other health issues.  It's not necessarily 'eating your way to good health'.  But perhaps it could have been worse. 
    • Posted

Thank you for salt information. My mother used to work in the Cerebos Salt Factory. It was based in a place called Greatham in Hartlepool. I know the packet you are talking about. I will buy some. I will be enjoying a saltwater swimming pool on holiday next week so I will see if it has any effect. I totally agree with you about the food industry and also the government changing minds about superfoods, Think common sense has to step in. I agree about processed foods. I suppose they have their place in small quantities.
    • Posted

i enjoy a good rant on occasion...so carry on.

interesting suedm what you say about milk...both my endocrinologist and naturopath agree (hallelua) that i should avoid iodine....it inflames my autoimmune thyroiditis.

i'm having a go at giving up dairy...not least because of all the antibiotics and growth hormones in it, plus the added iodine now (which i didn't actually know about - so thanks for the tip)...and the latest research on pubmed referring to problems with it ....which i can try to dig out... as well as naturopathic advice which i'm personally following (no obligation on anyone else). I do find it hard to follow but guess once i've changed the habit and replaced it with say almonds which are a richer source of absorbable calcium apparently..i'll hopefully have a new set of habits that are better suited to me.

wish me luck all!

• Posted

Thanks for posting this topic, Carmarie. I make my own full fat yogurt with starter from a cheesmaking supply place, because I think it keeps the yeast at bay, which seems to be tied up with LS, at least in my case. I try to eat very little meat and not too much cheese, but blaming dairy products for autoimmune disorders is, as Sue says, totally anecdotal, unfounded in the scientific method.
    • Posted

I think anyone pushing abstinence from a particular group of foods such as dairy is wrong because people may endanger their health by avoiding necessary vitamins and minerals. Blood tests are great in highlighting gaps in dietary requirements. I found out I was lacking albumin from my blood tests. 

If you cannot have dairy then calcium supplements are needed. My husband cannot have dairy so I understand some people have an intolerance. He does not have osteoporosis which is great but he needs to access calcium and he takes double vitamin D tablets as indicated by his blood tests. 

• Posted

When I went to an allergist years ago, he had me keep a food diary and document any negative reactions I had in order to find what was causing my allergies. In reading up more about the paleo auto-immune diet it is a similar effort. You eat nothing but non inflammatory foods for 6 weeks...you can still take supplements, in fact it is recommended. Then coming off the diet you add one food back in every 5 days and watch for any negative reactions during that time to see if it is an irritant. You do get calcium and magnesium on this diet from other sources, but I do plan to up my supplements while I give this a go. I have just learned that I may have developed another very serious auto-immune disease...won't know for sure until the 12th of May...but I feel the diet is worth a go so am starting it this Friday.  My bone broth is simmering now...and I have a nice stock of fish, veggies and some fruit...so I'm ready.
    • Posted

That seems to be a sensible way of going about it instead of hit and miss! Sorry you have another possible auto immune disease. May I ask what?
    • Posted

I may have been misdiagnosed...not uncommon.  First biopsy was a bit on the fence, so they've done a 2nd due to the appearance of blisters now forming in my mouth. Pemphigus Vulgaris is a possible new diagnosis, which can be fatal in 75 % of cases...so I feel I need to take the bull by the horns and react in a positive way immediately and not wait for the axe to fall. My chicken bone broth is finished...the beef bone broth has another day to simmer...smells good...going to throw in my parsley and garlic now to flavor it up a bit more. I believe that being well prepared is key to being able to follow this diet...as yes, it is very restrictive...but I can do 6 weeks if the result is better health and finding out what my triggers for inflammation are. It's really just going back to eating more like our great-grandparents ate...with a little tweaking.
    • Posted

Hi renee77108,

wanted to know how it went for you - with the bone broth and diet. My mother has PV and we looking at what we can do for her smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.