Damage to Optic Nerve

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there, a few weeks ago I was having frequent headaches and occassionally feeling lightheaded with floaters. I went to the opticians and they referred me to the opthalmologist who put eye drops in and said that at the back of my left eye the optic nerve was sheeted. (I don't understand what this term means and cannot see anything on the internet to explain either) He just said that I didn't have any other symptoms for Optic Neuritis and wasn't sure but didn't think it was anything sinister. I am now waiting for a scan of the eye to see what that shows.

However, the last couple of weeks I have been getting pins and needles all over my body, mainly in arms and legs. I've also had general aching pains.

I have read online about symptoms and they point to all kinds of things, Fibromyalgia, Anxiety and possibly MS. As you can imagine this has really scared me as I have read that probelms with the optic nerve can also be related.

Has anyone else had these symptoms or are they too few for me to be making assumptions?

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Derek, are you aware that Boots Opticians merged with D&A in 2009?

Some of what you describe is very reminiscent of D&A, not an establishment that I like.

• Posted

D&A had a bad reputation and if memory serves me right featured on Watchdog. In our local shopping centre the shops are back to back using some of the same staff.

Most opticians are a rip off. At the present time I just cannot believe the glasses most people wear. I always wanted ones that were discreet for want of a better word but now you don't see the person but a fashion statement on their nose and more and more in garish colours. 

Another one I had problems with was Scrivens. I could not see with the glasses that I had made elsewhere (due to their outrageous prices) but she insisted her prescripion was right even after retesting my eyes. I had my eyes tested elsewhere who agreed that the prescription was totally wrong. Scrivens then paid for the pair that I could not wear. I was told that had happened a lot with them and that branch closed.

• Posted

I was so glad when rimless became available at an affordable price.  I got the huge frames and black frames t-shirt in the 70s cheesygrin  I have to say that I dislike the garish colours too.

As for opticians and reputations, back in the days of yore,  I used to mystery shop them and as a consequence, ended up with a large number of prescriptions, which varied hugely, which was sometimes very useful.

I have been under an Ophthalmologist for years now and the same hospital since 1992, so I don't worry too much about Optometrists.  I currently use Specsavers and am happy with the service they provide and ignore the girls who try to sell me rubbish that I don't need!  On the whole, the Branch I go to, is excellent.

• Posted

I went to Specsavers after my cataract operation in 2013 and thought that they were very good but so busy that it felt like a hospital.

This year I made the mistake of going back to Boots.

Strange one about boots after my £80 story. My wife had Boots frames that he had reglazed at Specsavers for the cost of the lenses. A leg came off and she went back to Boots as it was their frame. They replaced them for £5.

• Posted

They obviously want your wife's business!

• Posted

She has never been satisied with any pair she has had (reading or Distance)  When she does the cryptic crossword she gets confused with 6's and 8's. and some others.
    • Posted

Some years ago, I had problems reading music, I couldn't see which line a note was on, apart from the top and bottom.  This is why I like my current Optometrist [I go to the same one at Specsavers].  I wear varifocals and he has adjusted the reading part at the bottom, so that it makes things slightly larger, which means that I can read what I want to, for the most part.  It is only when I am tired, that I lose my focus a little.

I always have 2 pairs of specs made, both varifocals, one with Photochromic lenses and the other with very dark lenses.  I suffer from photophobia.  I pay a lot of money for them and am very fussy!  They spend a long time getting each pair as near identical as possible.  I can't wear them if they are even slightly off.

• Posted

Before I had my cataract operation I stuck to Bifocals as so many people told me of problems with varifocals.

Have you ever bought glsses abroad? Holland seemed reasonably cheap but Hong Kong were very expensive. I did many years ago buy two pairs in New York that were very good value with his assistant egging him on by saying 'The Guys on holiday and doesn't want to spend his Bucks on glasses so give him a good deal'

So if you are ever there go to Cohen's on Delancey Street.

• Posted

Hi lisa.  First thing to do is try not to worry.  Whatever it is that's causing you problems with your health things can be treated really well these days.  I have Optic Neuritis at times and I do notice my floaters are much worse at these times and I tend to get eye pain.  

The pins and needles can be for loads of differednt reasons even something such as Anemia.  I do have MS but it took lots more than the symptems you describe to diagnose it.  Hope this has helped.  Take Care and stay positive.

• Posted

Hi netz. Thank you for your reassuring words smile I am trying to b positive and not to think too deep.. Difficult but must wait and see after tests. Thanks again.

I hope u don't suffer too much with it sad x

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Nothing is ever as bad as our own imagination so just don't allow it out....lol.

I don't suffer half as much as some people I count myself lucky in that respect.  

I'm off to bed now.....long day with visitors.  

Nite Netz xx

• Posted

Thanks netz. That what I think. I shouldn't summise too much, especially when people are going through a lot worse sad

I will keep you posted. Take care x

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I don't have the optic nerve problem, I have branch rental vein occlusion, but you said you are having pins & needle feelings down your arm, well I had the same exact thing happen to me when I got the news about my eye & it was from anxiety & depression, mainly anxiety...I pray you get better..God Bless
    • Posted

Hi charline thank u for your reply smile

I think u are right as I have also been hyperventilating. I've been worrying because although I've had no vision loss my eyes haven't felt as clear although was told at test vision is ok rolleyes I jut feel bit light headed at times

Can I please ask what symptoms u had when u were diagnosed with your condition?

• Posted

Lisa, please get your active b12 levels checked. My sister suffered terrible nerve damage from under treatment for this condition. She suffered exhaustion, pins and needles in arms and legs, numbness, foggy feeling in head, blurry eyesight, palpitations etc. Symptoms are usually mistaken for fibromyalgia or MS. She ended up in a wheelchair but thanks to daily injections of b12 and supplements of folate and iron, she is improving from day to day. Low levels of b12 causes nerve damage. Please read the following www.b12deficiency.info Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Claire. Thank u for your reply. That sounds awful. So sorry to hear about your sister.

Yes I've had slight blurry vision, pins and needles all over (inc face) palpitations to the point it's woken me up! Just kind of feel not with it at times. I have felt slightly tired but nothing more than usual. Had aching pains that come and go but the last few months my periods have gone all haywire, to the point I've had them every 2 weeks sad I've felt lightheaded at times too. I have a doctors appt Tomorrow so hoping they can help to explain these symptoms? 🙀

• Posted

Sorry Claire. I meant to add. Have trouble breathing at times too. Not to extent can't breath me but hyperventilate but I don't know if that's anxiety with my symptoms rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.