Damaged knee in fall?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

2 weeks ago, I slipped on a wet surface in a car park and fell heavily onto my knee. Within 5 minutes it was very swollen and sore, couldn't bend/straighten leg properly. As I had fallen outside a supermarket I was able to get some ice to apply quite soon afterwards. 

It was very painful, and caused me to be in tears trying to drive home. Within a week it was much easier to walk on and the swelling and bruising had pretty much gone. 

However, I am worried because the skin around the area feels odd- a bit like being numb/altered sensation to touch. It is sore if I press the area, and if I try to kneel on it it feels like being stabbed! Also, it feels like there is something moving small moving about if I rub it with my hand. 

Having said that, I can walk on it without much of a problem. 

Wondering if it is just badly bruised and will settle down, or if I have done something more serious? Any thoughts? Is it worth a trip to the GP, or am I likely to get a 'rest and it'll settle' response?

Anyone experienced anything similar who can offer advice? 

TIA 

x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So close to the holidays they tend to blow you off. May be a good idea to check with someone tho. Atleast ask questions. Maybe you will get lucky and a doc will take the time to speak with you.
  • Posted

Have it at least assessed by a professional. Chances are they will tell you that you did all The right things and twill just take time for all that pooled blood to dissipate back into the system.of course they will give it to you in medical terms so it will sound scarier and mote important. It may take a couple of months for the healing to take place. Add elevation to your process. Get the leg slightly above the heart wen you can. Rest it and don't be adding to the hurt with a lot of exercise. Every time to stop or kneel or any other such thing

especially impact activities you are doing unnecessay banging around of the joint. In the US you would have already missed your 1st and early action, that of been calling an attorney so you could sue the supermarket owner.

Dint be alarmed if it doesn't go away quickly. The knees bear the weight and burdens of the body, turning and twisting in strange positions therefore they heal slowly.

• Posted

Totally agree.  Give it a chance to heal.  If you're still in pain after a few weeks, see an orthopedist, not a GP.  He'll do some imaging to see if there's any damage.

• Posted

see your orthaprdic surgeon to take x ray be on the safe side please, you do not want this to haunt you later in life regards danie61

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.