DAY 1!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a newbie as of today. Ive taken my first tablet this morning.

My understanding of the pill is that it stops your body from absorbing and therefore storing fat. What if the weight problem I have is not due to fat perse, my main worry is that apart from the weekends my diet was never heavy in fat anyway (cant go without a bacon sarnie on a sunday morning :P ) and I am just wondering if it is the best course of action for me. :?

My diet is always full of fresh fruit, salads,vegetables and grilled fish or meat and (unless it is[u:1863e746e4] that [/u:1863e746e4]time of the month) I dont go overboard for chocolate!

I just don't know if Orlistat is going to be the answer for me. I guess what I am really asking is will it work for me if I dont have much fat in my diet anyway?

I always said that I would lose weight sensibly by eating healthily and doing more excercise that I wouldnt resort to fat pills or surgery I am getting desperate and I just dont know if what I am doing is actually going to help me! Is this going to be another dissapointment?

Did anyone else have the same problem and did Orlistat work for you?[

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I was wondering the same thing. Ive been taking Orlistat for 7 weeks now and hardly had any side effects. Ive lost 13 pounds but not sure if this is due to sticking to 1500- 1600 cals per day and exercising. I spend time keeping a diary, planning what Im going to eat for the week and cooking as much as I can from fresh. I was thinking of trying 4 weeks without Orlistat and seeing if I loose just as much weight. I thought I had a fairly healthy diet my problem was portion size and eating too much between meals and also missing breakfast. Keeping the diary was really useful. Good luck woth whatever you decide - you just need to be determined and visualise yoursself succeeding....
  • Posted

monx - what did the doctor say to you before he/she prescribed the tablets?
  • Posted

[quote:806c876637=\"yorkshire pudding\"]monx - what did the doctor say to you before he/she prescribed the tablets?[/quote:806c876637]

[u:806c876637]This[/u:806c876637] doctor was really good (newly qualified), she went through the fact that if I kept to a low fat diet that it would work more as a deterrent (sp) in that I would rather eat less fat than suffer the consequenses. :oops:

She did say that if after a month, if I hadnt lost a certain amount of weight that perhaps this would be the point where I should consider a gastric band (apparantly there is scope in our health authority for it on the national health). :?

My problem is that I always swore that I would never go down the road of pills and/or surgery and now I am so desperate that I would try anything. I've watched my father and his mother become more and more infirm due to their crumbling spines and spiralling weight gain and I just know that as I am even heavier than they are that it will only be worse for me...if i make it to thier age! I know that this sounds depressing and perhaps a little pessamistic, but I think I have fooled myself for too long now about how \"I'm fat but healthy\" or \"better to be overwieght than to yoyo diet\" etc etc. :cry:

On a happier note tho, I should have waited until sunday to weigh myself but I couldnt wait (never one to delay satisfaction) and I have already lost six pounds! :D

• Posted

Wow, lucky you, I think I might weigh myself, have started on Thursday, but had no side effects, as I eat quite healthy anyway, so not sure if this will work for me, but keep up the good work, :wink:
  • Posted

[quote:b1b99f339c=\"monx\"]

On a happier note tho, I should have waited until sunday to weigh myself but I,,, couldnt wait (never one to delay satisfaction) and I have already lost six pounds! :D[/quote:b1b99f339c]

Yeah - well done - keep up the hard work xxxx

• Posted

I too am new using Orlistat. I started it Monday evening after my doctor prescribed it earlier in the day. She did warn me aout the side effects and I did read the leaflet.

I am 41yrs old 5ft4 and weight 16st. I gave up smoking 5yrs ago and put on 5st with a further stone this past year.

I excercise every week, twice a week, a combination of cardio work, weights to tone the muscle and once a week I attend a body balance class which is slowly improving my stretch and my state of mind. I have realised that excercise alone isnt going to do it and that even cutting out any sweet stuff etc isnt working which led me to the docs on Monday.

Fingers crossed this is going to work!

One question.......I have a works do to go to next week, an indian meal.....what do I eat? My usual choice would be chicken korma as I dont do spicy? Do I stop the tablets a couple of days before to avoid any embarrassing \"accidents\"??????

Help please.

p.s I need to loose this weight as I am getting married in September.

• Posted

Try a biriyani - mainly rice and just go easy on the curry sauce they provide with it - drink plenty of water with your meal and you'll be fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.