Day #1

Posted , 2 users are following.

Today I've just been to my GP and he has prescribed 20mg Fluoxetine tablets. I really do love challeging myself and putting myself under pressure - juggling as many tasks as I can. However, I guess everyone has their limits and I guess I just found mine. I am self employed and took a new job in November 2007. I was \"parachuted\" into a project that was badly coming off the rails when I arrived. I had to firefight the situation and steer it back on course. The project was over running and over budget. The client was very unhappy and every day the atmosphere at the office was very adversarial. We had to work XMAS week, 12-14 hour days and weekends. In addition, my employer also wanted me to work at the same time on another project that was going t*ts-up.

I also had to deal with some pretty difficult personal relationship problems (of my own making - I was having a stupid affair). The person I was having the affair with was an old friend. This friend had serious issues herself. Just one of her issues included the death of her 20 year old Son in a silly accident a few years ago. So I was working all God's hours, and trying to offer support to someone who had many issues, whilst trying to supress the guilt I felt to my own partner.

Well four weeks ago my normally very robust, focused and confident mind woke me up at 4am and declared it could take no more. It started with panic attacks, feelings of worthlessness, guilt, the inability to cope, fatigue, overly emotional and lack of motivation. Last week I confessed my sins to my partner and she has found it within herself to forgive (we have been together 15 years).

So now I have been prescribed Fluoxetine. I have read many of the comments on this site and am really worried about the \"going to get worse, before it gets better\" comments. Is there a \"best\" time of day to take it to avoid sleepless nights?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I only started on fluoxetine on Friday so am not the best person to comment. My GP said to take them in the morning which I have been doing. Felt ok for the first couple of days; on Sunday I felt pretty spaced out in the middle of the day and then unable to get to sleep that night (like you I am a 4am waker!) but yesterday bizarrely I felt pretty ok considering the lack of sleep. Wouldn't say they are having any effect on the depression yet (which is what I expected) but at least the side effects don't seem too bad yet.

Good luck and I hope they help you get over this blip in your life.

• Posted

Just to answer your question, I take mine in the morning. When I had them before and took them at night, I found it interrupted my sleep too much. If you are having trouble sleeping though, try cutting out caffeine completely - no Coke, tea, coffee etc - this really helps. I now take mine about 06.00 and by 21.30 I'm usually sparko so always manage to get a good night's sleep.Good luck
  • Posted

Hi there. Not sure if it'll be right for any form of insomnia, but I've definitely found it more beneficial to take them at night, before sleeping. I'm also on 20mg, and have been for nearly 8 weeks. Initially I took them first thing in the morning, and was experiencing exacerbated symptoms and side effects, as opposed to now where I'm guessing most of those feelings are eradicated in my sleep.

Like most people new to Fluoxetine, I was worried after reading what people had been through in the first few weeks. It does take you through some up & down periods as it takes a while to get into your system, but personally now I'm feeling a hell of a lot better than I did 8 weeks ago. I've had anxiety issues for years, and now I'm getting to a stage where I'm starting to feel like my old self again. Not so self absorbed, thinking more clearly and positively, enjoying situations I used to have problems with, more confidence.

It may not work out the same for everyone on this medication, but from experience, when you're doubting yourself it's best to stay in touch with your GP, communicate with loved ones, and chat to people on here. I found it invaluable to know others are experiencing similar situations.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm with Gaz on this one. I too, take mine before I get into bed and in effect, sleep through the side effects.

I did start taking them in the morning but it didn't agree with me at all and I was sleepy, woozy and just all over the place. Taking them at night does work for me. This is week 9 for me and I'm also on 20mg.

I think that your partner who has forgiven you and stood by you is brilliant and I also think that you are brilliant for being so honest and open and actually addressing the feelings of being down and anxious.

Welcome to the site, good luck to you Garch and in about 6-8 weeks time from now, you will honestly feel different and better for it.

Take care, Ang.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words of support and advice.
  • Posted

On day #5 of these things. Seem to be sleeping better, with less anxiety interrupted sleep. Maybe it is because it is only day #5, or because I am taking them just before I go to bed - but I don't seem to be feeling too many of the reported side-effects (headache, dizziness, feeling sick, loss of appetite, etc).

The biggest side-effect I feel is a constant feeling of fatigue (not sleepiness). My mind also feels a little numb – the sort of feeling you get with really bad jet-lag. Also concentration and memory seem to be a little poorer than usual and I seem to feel hotter than I normally do.

Does this pass with time (say after 6 – 8 weeks)? What are people’s experiences of the side-effects after their body has acclimatised itself to the drug after 6-8 weeks?

Is/ has anyone tried using food supplements as well, such as OMEGA-3 fish oil supplements, or Vitamin B Complex?

I’ve also noticed that eating well seems to be very important. This can be difficult due to the effects of loss of appetite. But I have noticed that if I “force” myself to eat complex-carbohydrate rich foods, oily fish, bananas, avocados, etc that I seem to feel less anxious.

thx,

garch

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.