Day 1 and beyond of citalopram

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have just started taking citalopram. 10mg for one week then 20mg after a week. I thought I might keep track of how it was making me feel each day, side effects etc. It has taken me years to get the courage to start taking medication, and lots of reading on the internet. I google everything. I would have loved to have found someone's account of their day by day experience on taking this. I may have started taking it sooner if I had. So....

Day One

Took 10mg of citalopram in the morning. A few minutes later had a massive panic attack thinking "what have I done!" Imagined the worst case scenario and convinced myself it was happening. Eventually calmed down. And... nothing. No side effects yet. Feel the same. Just my anxiety playing up, not the pill.

So I have survived, I will be back tomorrow to let you know how my first night went and day two of taking the medication.

Sarah

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try not to worry. I have been on 20mg for about ten years or more and I also take another AD medication for my Chronic Disability.

You may have some side effects, if this happens be patient and eventually you will come through the other end feeling a lot better

If you need to chat we are always around

BOB

• Posted

Bob I'm using citalopram from last 2 months I started taking at night but after having many sleepless nights I've shifted to morning but it gave rise to my anxiety I've done it today I'm trying to find out what is the best time to take citalopram 20 mg

• Posted

I take this medication in the Evening, for Me, it reduces tiredness during the day. I have been on Citalopram now for about ten years.

In the mornings we get out of bed at about eight and it takes me two hours to get myself sorted.I also take Opiates throughout the day so other things effect my functions.. I also take Amytryptalalene for Neurological reasons, that I also take at night.

My condition is caused by a Chronic Disability and it causes Reactive Depression. In my case, it took two years to sort out my medications and it was the Pain Clinic that suggested certain medications were taken in the evening

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for sharing Sarah. Best of luck! I look forward to hearing how each day goes for you.
  • Posted

Good luck Sarah,

some people have shared their story on Youtube and I found it comforting as they made good progress.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

On day two of citalopram. Took it a few hours ago this morning. Feeling fine. Yesterday I felt ok as well. Had a sleep from about 10am til midday which is not like me. Could have been the citalopram, or could have been I was actually tired from working 7 days in a row lol? probably the latter of the two. And also slept well last night, woke up feeling ok this morning. So far, so good. Oh, did have a headache most of the day, but doesn't necessarily mean it was the citalopram. Will see how today goes, I have a 12pm-9:30pm shift at work, not looking forward to that.

Sarah

• Posted

Morning!

​Day Three of Citalopram.

​So far, so good. Been yawning alot and feeling a bit more tired than usual, but nothing that is unbearable or uncomfortable. Finding it a bit harder to get to sleep at night, but still nothing unbearable or uncomfortale.

​Everything going great so far on 10mg of citalopram. Not what I was expecting at all.

Sarah

• Posted

Day Four

Still feeling okay on the 10mg citalopram. Just a bit more tired that normal and a bit groggy in the morning. Small loss of appetite. But nothing I can't handle.

Going very well. 😊

Sarah

• Posted

Day Five

All of today I have been feeling ok. And about 3pm just so tired! Hate the tired feeling. But nothing that is unbearable, so that's the main thing. Getting a bit nervous about doubling the dosage this weekend to 20mg.

Sarah 😊

• Posted

Super amused reading this, because I just had my first 10 mg tonight and had the same exact thing happen. I'm feeling better now. We'll see what happens with my next dose. In it with you! smile

• Posted

I'm in exactly the same situation just been prescribed 10mg, so worried about taking it before Christmas!!!! Too scared to even get the pills from the pharmacy, I have an 8 month old so don't want to be too sleepy!

Let's all support each other :-)

Xx

• Posted

Take it at night if you're worried it'll make you drowsy! And you don't have to start it right now if you're not ready...start the 26th if you'd like.

• Posted

It makes me tired, but not to the point where I can't work or take care of my children or do the housework. Good luck. You will be fine. Writing on here helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.