Day 1 and beyond of citalopram

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have just started taking citalopram. 10mg for one week then 20mg after a week. I thought I might keep track of how it was making me feel each day, side effects etc. It has taken me years to get the courage to start taking medication, and lots of reading on the internet. I google everything. I would have loved to have found someone's account of their day by day experience on taking this. I may have started taking it sooner if I had. So....

Day One

Took 10mg of citalopram in the morning. A few minutes later had a massive panic attack thinking "what have I done!" Imagined the worst case scenario and convinced myself it was happening. Eventually calmed down. And... nothing. No side effects yet. Feel the same. Just my anxiety playing up, not the pill.

So I have survived, I will be back tomorrow to let you know how my first night went and day two of taking the medication.

Sarah

2 likes, 51 replies

Report / Delete

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm on Day 2 now, I noticed I got a very sudden dip at lunchtime today, I took the tablet the same time as the first day - at 4pm. I'm only on 10mg,does it build up in your system? Thankfully my Dr has said if I niotice getting worse at all then just stop, what have other people's experiences been?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Claire. Yep I felt that dip in the afternoon as well until about day 6. Then I felt-for lack of a better word- "normal" on day 7 and 8. On day 9 today and first day of 20mg.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 8

Sorry I've been so busy with work and forgot to put up day 6 & 7. But, good news, I have been feeling normal the last few days. Normal as in not as drowsy as when I began. So I am happy about that. Loss of appetite seems to be the only side effect at the moment. So I am just making myself eat. I'm meant to be on 20mg today, but chickened out and still on the 10mg. Tomorrow morning I will start on 20mg and let you know how that day went. Honestly, I've had myself panicking about taking these for 2 years! And I feel a bit silly now because I'm ok with them. I hate taking any drugs in general. I got my tonsils removed at the beginning of the year, in hospital they were giving me all sorts for it, and I was ok with that as I was in hospital, I feel safe there. When I went home. I would only take panadol. I was in so much pain, but my anxiety had me so worked up over taking ibuprofen or codeine or tramadol. And I should have taken the pain relief instead of suffering. Funny how anxiety does that. It sucks. I'm not sure if the citalopram is working, I suppose I haven't been too bad lately. Maybe it is. Maybe it's a placebo effect. I'm staying positive though. Good luck everyone else who is just beginning like me. It's scary, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 9

First day of 20mg. I took it at 7:15 am and it's now 12:30pm here. Starting to feel a bit yucky and headachey and panicky. I'm a bit worried about doubling the dose. Trying hard to stay calm. Trying to tell myself it's me making me feel like this and not the Citalopram.

How have you felt when upping your dose on this?

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know when you're in the middle of it if feels like it'll never end. I'm going through that too. We are going to get our lives back and we will get through this. This is all temporary. Everybody already here has been through this before and that's what I keep hurting to know that we are not alone. It feels like we're the only one that I've ever gone through this that's not true. Keep your head up keep pushing

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 10

And second day on 20mg. Woke up tired. Haha. Fun times. Sooo tired. I hate feeling sleepy! Only side effect I've noticed lately is feeling sleepy.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Actually, I've been having lots of heart palpitations randomly. It's freaking me out quite a bit. I hate it so much. I hate feeling this way. I just want to be normal and handle life like a normal person.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 11

Waking up and feeling foggy in the morning and taking a bit longer to wake up properly. Felt a bit more energised this morning. Last couple of days been tired and not motivated to do too much. But feel like I have more energy today.

Having a bit of anxiety though. Like usual, no idea where it's come from. Out of nowhere, I just have a cold feeling all through my body, like it's in my blood, feeling shaky and a bit sick. Funny taste in my mouth, the adrenalin I think. I think I think too much and worry too much and really need this citalopram to start kicking in and turn my brain off for a while.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 12

Takes a while to wake up in the morning, but today and yesterday, once I'm awake I no longer feel tired and have the motivation to get things done. Did have a panic attack yesterday morning a few hours after I took my meds but called my father and spoke to him for half an hour and calmed down. Unsure when the panic and anxiety goes away, I'll give it at least a month and see how it is then.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 14

I have been taking 20mg for 6 days now at roughly 7:30am every morning. And about 11:30am each morning, I am sooo tired! I have been having little naps most days. I just feel exhausted. But I have afternoon shifts at work so drag myself to work, feeling exhausted and by the end of my shift I am feeling awake and ok again. Hope the tired feeling goes away soon as I am over it!

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 16

And day 8 of 10mg.

Still getting really tired 4 to 5 hours after taking the citalopram. I haven't been feeling too anxious lately, but this evening hasn't been too good. A bit panicky tonight. 🙁

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Day 20

All side effects are pretty much gone now. The tiredness is just about gone, I am a little tired during the day, before I never usually felt tired, so definitely the citalopram causing it. But only seem to notice it when I relax. As long as I'm busy or working, the tiredness doesn't effect me really at all.

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you very much Sarah for your diary and I'm very pleased to hear of  the progress you  are making. I am on Day 14 but have been taking only 5mg because 3 years ago  when on cit previously I had  pretty bad side effects at first.

Even though I'm on a very low dose side effects aren't good, particularly depression. Still hopedfully only  anothhere few days beforethis starts lifting.

Chris

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm on 10mg and REALLY feeling the tiredness, I'm on Day 14 I'm really not sure it's doing anything and with the added exhaustion I'm really wondering why I'm on it at all. Has anyone had good experiences?!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was on 20mg a couple of years ago and once over side effects it certainly was worth it. I wish I had continued but came off it because I thought it was just for depression, and my main problem is fibromyalgia. However since coming off cit, things haven't been so good even though Amitripyline copes with fibro quite well. I have since found out that cit  + amit are a good combination for fibro  and so have been trying to restart. But as mentioned side effects are quite cruel.

From my experiences last time I would say you will find it very effective, but the beneficial effects can take a while to become obvious. Certainly a month or more is typical. Side effects fortunately usually clear off much quicker.

So keep going!

Chris 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi I an now on day 23. No side effects anymore. Tiredness has gone. FirSt 8 days I was on 10mg and now 15 days of 20mg. I know at about day 6 on 10mg the tiredness stopped and when I doubled the dose to 20mg the tiredness came back. But ha gone. Sorry to hear you are still experiencing it.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up