Day 1 of 20mg Citalopram-feel awful.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i got prescribed 20mg Citalopram tablets yesterday. i started taking them this morning and about 3 hours after taking it i had an upset stomach, my vision went blurry, i had the sweats. nausea, my Mum had to come and watch my 18 month old. most of the symptoms have worn off now apart from the horrendous nausea, jaw clenching and yawning!

when do these symptoms wear off? i really am contemplating stopping taking them. Does anyone know what you can buy or be prescribed for the nausea? thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire

The side effects will soon wear off - persevere. Top tip - take your med just before you go to sleep and you should sleep through the effects. They will disappear in about a week.

Take care

Peter

• Posted

Thankyou Peter, i can't remember if when i was on them years ago if i took them after a certain time i couldn't sleep. i may have to try that as the Nausea is horrendous

• Posted

Claire,

My name is Jonny, and I'm takin the same meds. I started a month ago. The side effects will go away after 3-4 weeks. I can honestly say I am doing much better. I still have bad days, but when my panic attacks come. I started to welcome the symptoms. When you accept them and let them pass, you will be able to deal with your anxiety better. I'm on my 3rd day of accepting the symptoms. Next time you have symptoms close your eyes and wait, don't move or run from them. Accept them as being uncomfortable but always tell yourself that they can harm you. It's your mind making you feel uncomfortable, then open your eyes and tell yourself nothing happened and you are no longer in danger. The pills itself won't do you any justice. You have to make an effort to heal yourself the rest of the way. Drink plenty of water and go for walks any exercise will work. If you need anything let me know. I've been dealing with this same issue for over 2 years. Don't let the monkey in your head control your thoughts and feelings. I call it the monkey cause it always acts up for no reason, lol. Always remember they are symptoms that's all they will pass and they can't kill you. They are just uncomfortable, I know it sucks, but as soon as you accept them and freeze. The monkey 🐒 will see that there ain't no danger and settle down. 😊

• Posted

Ah thankyou Jonny, haha i love your monkey theory. The nausea is horrendous
    • Posted

I use to have nausea everyday, I'm talking throwing up every morning or right before I left the house. But, since I've been talking to that stubborn monkey 🐒! I've been doing better. I'm on my 3rd day of CBT and it's working. I know it's gonna take time to teach that monkey to settle down, but in the long run I know I will be cured for good. Don't let that monkey make you feel that way. Cause it's him or her in your case that's making you feel all these uncomfortable symptoms. Which in reality are just awful symptoms. Don't ignore them, accept and let them pass. Sooner or later your monkey will understand that no danger is near.

• Posted

Hi I had the jaw clenching sweats couldn't sleep at night.didnt have nausea but I think there is something you can take for that.the side effects usually last a few days but they do go.stick with them they work well for me.xx

• Posted

I've always jaw clenched when i've drove the car i think it could be linked to anxiety but it's constant now. i think if i can get rid of the nausea the other symptoms will be manageable until they settle down

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.