Day 10 on Citalopram 10mg for anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on citalopram 2 yrs ago when my mother passed because I developed severe anxiety. I don't remember the side effects nor anything around that time because of the trauma. I got off Citalopram in November and a month ago my panic attacks came back. I can't go in stores or do ANYTHING. Doc started me back on 10mg of Citalopram 10 days ago. First few days I was so sick now my anxiety is so bad I don't want to get out of bed. I have a full time job and cant function at work i also have 2 kids. I feel like I'm going crazy to the point I want to cry. My anxiety is debilitating. I figured by day 10 it would lessen. What is wrong with me??? I'm so aggitated and now feeling a little depressed because I can't DO ANYTHING! Last Night I felt calm for the first time in a long time... today is bad! I also take .25mg of xanax 3 to 4x a day instead of the full .5mg 2x a day my Dr prescribed back in 2015 when my mom passed. The Xanax isn't helping now that my anxiety has gone overboard. Should I stop the citalopram? Am I going crazy? Will I ever get better??? :-(

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry you are feeling this way but rest assured this is totally normally for the first few weeks. I was where you are now and 12 weeks on feelnso much better. A lot of what you have are the side effects whilst things are adjusting but it will get easier and easier. I would try and exercise, meditate and eat plenty and see if quiet local yoga class. Do anything you can that you enjoy and even if hell getting out the door you will feel better after. If you need to sleep also don't fight it and be kind to yourself. Take care and big hugs

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, I also lost my mum which was in 2009 and I went on citalopram, the last 6 months I have weened off and now I'm also suffering with anxiety - I'm taking proponol beta blockers which is helping. I would go back on citalopram but I'm wanting to start a family this year so I'm trying to avoid it.

I can imagine you are having side effects as your body gets use to the citalopram again, also going back on them can initially make you feel a little worse, but this is normal and means it's starting to work again, I'm pretty sure you will feel a lot better very soon!

I hate anxiety, if is horrrendous, in the mean time stay away from caffeine, as that stimulates anxiety, try chamomile tea which can reduce anxiety by 40%.

I hope you feel better soon, I feel your pain about your mum. Your not alone x

• Posted

Hi Angel so sorry to hear how you are feeling. I am wondering if your heightened anxiety might also be to do with the xanax you are prescribed because you may be withdrawing from them even though you are taking less than the prescribed dose. Tolerance to xanax develops and you usually have to take more to feel the same effects. You can get withdrawal symptoms without reducing your dose at all. I would go back to your doctor and ask about this. Other than that what the others have said on here is accurate. I hope you feel better soon. Best wishes
    • Posted

Thanks everyone! It wouldn't let me reply to the whole discussion for some reason. I also have lost 6 other family members in total the last 2.5 years so things haven't been the easiest. My nephew passed the day before I started having panic attacks again. I guess I'm just going to try and ride it out and hopefully see and improvement in my anxiety and moodiness soon ???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.