Day 11 On Flu

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm on day 11 of prozac for depression and my anxiety is through the roof. I've been taking valium over the start up period for the flu but am concerned about continuing with this much longer due to addiction and withdrawl. I think this is fuelling my anxiety. I'm hanging on by a thread so any advice encouragement would be welcome.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Staz

11days is not long to be on this drug ,it could take up to six weeks to start feeling not so anxious .I used xanax to help me with the initial weeks and to help me get off to sleep.You need to expect wellness to come in waves with troughs of despair ,then hope and despair again.Many people become frustrated with the slowness of recovery but eventually you will become anxiety free and then you will be able to enjoy life again.

• Posted

Sorry for your suffering. I get it and have been going through for many months. I questioned if this was the right thing to do and still do. I am at a stable point if I can keep the stress down. Keeping busy with simple things. Going to the gym, coloring, reading, playing and listening to music. There's no easy way but I think the brain is capable of repairing itself. I have a Traumatic Brain injury from 4 years ago and the worst part has been the anxiety and panic attacks and what goes with it as you know. I pray for this group daily and hope that helps you. With time you will get there. Again, my prayers from Oregon.
  • Posted

All that Felis says.

These meds are not addictive.  Addiction means you need more and more - this is not the case - your body will not crave for this meds.  Yes you have to withdraw from them slowly, but it's fine.

You will get heightened anxiety in the first few weeks, but this will wear off in time.  Recovery on these meds takes time - much time - but they really will help you.  As Felis says, there'll be many peaks and troughs, and many times you'll despair ... but you just have to dig your heels in and carry on.

It takes time to heal a broken leg, and so it'll take time for this to heal too.  It really is worth it.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate. Im 2.5 weeks in and the anxiety is crippling. Im concerned that the valium is getting addictive not the flu although its not touching the anxiety.
    • Posted

Hi Staz

2.5 weeks is still quite early days, and the Fluoxetine won't have touched the anxiety yet.  It will do though.  Mmm I took Valium once but found it made me feel like a zombie, so didn't pursue it.  Mirtazapine can help take the edge off, but the first few weeks are really the worst.  How much Valium do you take?

Exercise is good (if you can manage any) - it helps burn excess anxiety.  Eat well, sleep if you can, and try and keep your normal routine going.  In time the anxiety will ease, but it will happen slowly.

Sadly there is put a quick fix, but these meds WILL stop the anxiety in time.

Dig your heels in, keep going.  Everyone loses hope on these meds, but they will turn everything around in time.

Thinking of you - I know how painful it is at the moment.  It will be fine xxx

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate,

I've had to up the valium to 12mg per day and it's not touching the anxiety. I've been on prozac before but never experienced anything like this. I'm unable to eat or function normally.

• Posted

Staz, when couldn't eat my partner bought me slimfast milkshakes so at least I was getting some nutrients.
    • Posted

Im living on Complan at the moment Louise so had a similar idea to you. Ive not taken my prozac this morning either. I was depressed before the prozsc with mild anxiety but after 17 days its become a living hell. Yesterday i just wanted to die despite 12mg of diazepam. Im going to request the liquid and go with the slow build up.
    • Posted

Hi Staz

Sorry, am a big behind with mail.  You can feel the second time around on these meds harder because often we forget how it feels to be suffering with anxiety.  This is my second time on meds and it took longer this time around.  We're all different of course, so it might not be longer for you.

The anxiety will calm in time.  The meds have worked for you before so you know they'll work again.

K x

• Posted

My anxiety was bad in week 3, and I started to feel better at the end of week 4. This is normal and you have to remember that your state of mind is temporary and the meds will kick in.

Last night I felt good, today not as good but still better than I used to be. I know it is hard, just stick it out it will work eventually. If you feel you need the valium now then ok, if it is causing you anxiety then try to go without and see how it is.

Just remember that the Prozac will work eventually, and you will feel better. The anxiety is temporary.

• Posted

Thanks All,

Day 13 and still no let up. I've given in and started valium to cope with the next few weeks. I'm losing all hope.

• Posted

I to are on day 13 today, not easy I know, I was also given diazepam to ease the anxiety,  I was told to take it 3 times a day, just as a sticking plaster, try to hang on until dinnertime to take only 1, some days I need 2  then another day 1.5 try not to take the 3, like yourself a little scared of being hooked, but it does help, will be glad when they kick in completely, the trouble is everone is different to how long it takes to work, so I believe, let me know how you go on...... Hilary  smile

• Posted

Thanks Hilary. How long did the anxiety take to go in your case. Today I have been climbing the walls and just wanting to die to relieve my suffering.
    • Posted

I am actually 3.5 weeks, and I still feel anxious of a morning, but of a night I feel much easier, only taken 0.5  diazepam today, to ease with the anxiety, but you know it can take a couple of months to start feeling better, don't put pressure on your self, as i did this morning, and got myself in a state, trying to sort buisness things out, I am going to leave things like that later in the day, when I have settled down more, it does get a bit easier, I have noticed a slight difference, not a lot, but it will get better..... Hilary x

• Posted

Glad things are looking more positive for you Hilary. I chucked in the towel as I got to feeling suicidal due to the anxiety. I think I either go more slowly on prozac instead of straight on to 20mgs or try something different. Prozac is supposed to have the worst start up side effects from what I've read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.