Day 12 on fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm on day 12 now and I have no appetite. I have to force myself to eat. And as soon as I eat I'm in the bathroom with diarrhea. I feel awful, chest pains, I had leg, and arm pains.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I been on 20mg now for 15 days and it's been awful carnt eat no appitite forcing food down the same as you it's not as bad as it was but still awful I cannot eat a thing until around 4 5 in the afternoon it's really not nice also been feeling really weak to ain't finding it hard to stay asleep! We just have to power through it because it does get better and they are really good tablets xx

• Posted

I'm supposed to up my dose but I don't know if I want to.

• Posted

What dose are you on then? Did your doctor tell you to up them?
    • Posted

20mg I have a doctors appointment on Friday. The ER doctor gave me the script cause my anxiety and blood pressure was through the roof.
    • Posted

Stay strong Cory I'm withdrawing from flouxtine and its ruff . I know when ur on it but for some people it does work wonders if u can hang in there for 6-8 weeks it can help you

• Posted

I could not do it and I'm feeling same way you are but withdrawal for it I have good and bad days . Today being a crappy one

• Posted

20 mg is the starter dose. I had nervous twitches and tick' headaches and painful muscle tension in my shoulders, continuous tremor and increased anxiety.If i were you id make a quick list of what yoir experiencing and make a little tally of how often these thing are happening. Sometimes our depressed brain can make us think frequency of our symptoms is getting out of control.

Once i have frequency in black and white id make sure doc knows what is happening with frequency and what it is restricting in your life. i find this makes doc listen and not dismiss me as hyperchondriac. The doc may be able to give you something to manage symptoms until flurextine side effects pass. (It takes about 4 -6 weeks for me). The diarrhoea can be managed to lopermide tablets from lidl. Much cheaper than imodium and work better! Nausea may be managable with mint or meal replacemt stuff not sure. tremors can be managed with propandol. And some pain can be managed with enough sleep also relaxation and breathing and mindfullness techniques. I was sceptical of all of above but i gave it 100% try and found what actually worked. Breathing and relaxtion is best thing i have discovered. Half pain i felt was from my muscles tensing and me not realising

If you really really cant cope with waiting out side effects then ask about changing to a lower dose or different type. Citalopram is good and duloxetine or liquid version of fluoxetine. Downside of this is you may end up with new side effects of another med which are more irritating and long lasting or at lower dose you will take longer before seeing depression start to lift.

You have to make best descision according to how you can manage with what you are feeling. we all experience side effects differently.

If they can help with side effects then have a go at upping dose in a couple weeks or so if u need it. I dont get side effects from increased dose poss just a dry cough.

Youll know when depression is lifting...you will be doing some task easily ..instead of usually avoiding it or finding it hardwork.

Good luck

• Posted

When you end your meds in future there is a good withdrawal plan on nhs website. I only get bad head aches and anxiety but soon fades.
  • Posted

Your dose is too high. I found this out the hard way, but docs prescribe SSRIs at too-high doses. Even 10 mg fluoxetine was way too much for me. Horrible side effects. I literally take 1mg per day and I feel great. Doc thinks I'm nuts, but I know my own body.

• Posted

If it works for you on tiny dose then great you must be very sensitive to it. I need my 40 mg..any less than that does nothing for me. im curious what 1 mg look like.. is it 1/5000 of a teaspoon? Did i get my maths right?
    • Posted

LOL I open up the capsule and pour a small amount into my hand. I'd say about 1/4 across.

• Posted

Hi Cory: I read all of the replies so far to your statements. I think it's too early to decide that the dose is too high for you. I had almost two months of not being able to eat. Diarrhea every morning. Lost 14 pounds. I bought a bunch of nutritional supplement shakes (Ensure Plus) and literally lived on those. Once the morning nausea passed, I would drink one. Sons days that was all I had - 2 or 3 of those throughout the day. I promise you would die from adjusting to the fluoxetine. The suggestions about learning breathing and progressive deep muscle relaxation techniques are good. They helped me a lot. Stay in close contact with your doctor. I kept a calendar diary showing good days and bad days. It was good to see the bad days eventually get less and less. Also, an adjunct med like Klonopin can help get you through it. Hope you stick with it. I'm a new person after 12 weeks.

• Posted

Cheryl,

I fill worse now then when I started taking this. I have had every side effect. I just want to be that happy person I was 4 weeks ago. Not really sure what happened to me. Every time I eat I'm in the bathroom. Did you have the same problem or was it only in the am?

• Posted

I was mostly sick in the mornings. I just had no appetite the rest of the time. I remember how excited I was when I actually was hungry and wanted to eat. I knew I was on my way to recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.