day 15 and dont feel right

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I've been on citalopram for 2 weeks now and my only side affect for the first week was dizziness 2 hours after taking them but that cleared up after the 1st week.  I generally have been feeling calmer and more in control until today. I felt a bit day dreamy this morning and for the past 2 hours my anxiety level is through the roof. I feel dis orientated. Can't concentrate and a bit nauseous I feel out of Control and just want to curl up MMy head feels like it's being squeezed.

I'm a little scared as i thought the side affects are only present at the start. could this be the citalopram or should i go to the docs

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Paul,

I think you should go to your doctor and see what they think?

Kelly

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi @bigpaul 

I was the same for about 3 months into starting taking the same medication. 

Now your feeling calmer are you doing more? Sometimes while I feel calmer I push myself a bit more but some of the anxiety still surfaces,  making it feel like they are not working! 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My big anxiety trigger was walking and it was even worse in open spaces. I also suffer from health anxiety. I have not been too bad this week walking as i tell my self the drugs are working and when that rush doesn't kick in i feel fine. The citalopram has had such a positive affect after 2 weeks i was feeling great until this morning. Rather than panicking like I used to I'm trying to keep calm. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would call the doctor and discuss, doesn't sound right at all !
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi BigPaul,

You are still very early in the process.  It is very common to feel more anxiety and other side effects during the first month or so while the meds level out in your body.  Most of my side effects were gone by the 5th week and I started to feel some major improvement around the 6th.  By the 7th week, I had low to no anxiety.  It normally takes 4 - 8 weeks.  Some people are lucky and feel better sooner.  You can certainly chat with your doc, but usually, they tell you to wait and see until the 6 week point.  You are on 20 mg?  Hang in there Paul.  I never thought I would feel normal again - had every side effect in the bood at the beginning - dizziness and nausea started at around the 1st week point.  It's quite  a journey, but you will feel better again and you will get your life back!

Best,

Linda

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Paul

Depending on how severe and for how long you had your symptoms before starting the citalopram will be a deciding factor in determining how long before they start to have long term benefits.  If you're experiencing symptoms that are distressing, always speak to your GP.  However, no medication is a 'miracle cure' and it does take a while to feel the full benefits of SSRI's.  Persevere but if unwell always refer back to your doctor.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

I had been suffering anxiety for years with it getting worse each year. Today is a bad day again but not as bad before I started so they must be working. 

The anxiety triggers are still there but that huge panic rush is now getting manageable. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Glad to hear you feel you have some improvement.  Don't forget its 'normal' to feel anxiety from time to time.  For some of us however, the normal ups and downs in life become totally unmanageable and then panic sets in and we're unable to rationalise the feelings.  SSRI's like prozac, citalopram, fluoxetine etc., address the chemical imbalance but unlike the older style anti depressants or 'tranquilisers' dont take away the normal reactions, which is good.  There are occasions in life where it's totally correct to feel upset or worried, etc., and hopefully once your citalopram has settled down, you'll still encounter those feelings but will be able to deal with them appropriately.  I have always been and will always be, a 'worry wort' - its my nature.  Learning to deal appropriately with anxieties was and still is my biggest hurdle.  Activities like regular exercise and perhaps meditation are also of great benefit, just try not to overdo it, it's very easy in our situation to think that we have to go at everything full pelt.  Little steps is the answer. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for that Loxie you have explained it better than anyone else. For me my main anxiety was open spaces I don't know how it started and then health anxiety more recently. But I can remember as a kid my mom saying I was a hypochondriac so maybe it's always been there. With the citalopram now and it's only been a little while, I push myself into the open space it may only be 10m and I can do it without it turning into a run. I'm happy I can see the improvements just hope it's gets easier and easier.  How long 8 it normally until it properly kicks in?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Paul.  Sounds like you're doing very well, congratulations.  You ask how long 'normally' before it kicks in.  Unfortunately there is no definitive answer on that.  Every one of us is different in terms of how much benefit we get or how long before we feel those benefits.  When we're stressed out or fearful, it can seem like nothing is improving but you will notice less bad feelings and more ability in little ways bit by bit.  Please don't feel unhappy or lost if you suddenly dont go from the distress you previously felt to 100% perfect overnight, that's not how it happens and some people will always have greater difficulty dealing with stress or anxiety than others even on medication.  When at times in the past I felt like I was going insane, the best advice given to me was if I felt less bad today than I did yesterday - I was going in the right direction and I didnt have to add that particular worry to my long list of other ones - and it was so true.  
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up