day 18 on fluoxetine

Posted , 8 users are following.

i dont feel good atall on this ive just been curling up sad and depressed with songs non stop in my mind driving me insane its horrible i dont know what to do next i dont have any support im 19 doing this all on my own please help

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi matthew, sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with the fluoxetine, if it's any consolation I have to say that everybody seems to go through exactly the same, it appears to be a drug that actualy makes you feel worse before it makes you any better, and from personal experience I'd say that from around the 3 week mark things ever so slowly improved on a daily basis, so on that theory you're are almost at the turning point. bearing in mind of course we are all different in how our bodies absorb and react to medication. have you no family or friends you can talk to while you are going through this difficult time? must admit I've done this on my own my family are not interested and I have chosen to stay away from friends as I do'nt feel very sociable for some reason. try and get out in the fresh air for a walk, or perhaps read a book to take your mind of things if only for a while, music helps too, the radio on provides a background voice to distract. I'm no counseller, but I have found this web page a great source of comfort and inspiration through my journey so I try and update and catch up at least once a day, I hope it helps you to Matthew, hand in there there's light at the end of the tunnel......
  • Posted

Hi Matthew

So sorry to hear you're not feeling good.  You're still on early days with the medication and sadly it will make you feel worse before you get better.  You're nearly through these side effects, so hang on in there and take each day slowly.  The side effects can make anxiety feel worse to start with, headaches, lack of sleep, depressed etc, but this will ease off and you'll start feeling better.  It does take time to heal.

Is there anyone in your family you can talk to?  Are you having regular visits to the doctors?  You could contact MIND online as they'll give support and also TalkingSpace where you can get counselling.  Your doctor can also give you details of local support groups too.

You're not alone - this is quite a common illness.  There's many people on this site who you can talk to, and don't worry, you can ask anything.  We're here to help.

You will get through this.

Keep in touch xxxx

• Posted

hello kate thankyou for getting back im not really using this site i didnt think i would have anything back id love to hear fromm you and i dont have anyone i can talk to as no body cares about me really im allways alone dont have anyone please get in touch xxxxxx
    • Posted

Hello again Matthew

There's a lot of good people on this site who care, and can help you through this difficult time.  Most people here have been through a similar experience and can talk to you.  You don't have to go through this alone.  Is there nobody you can speak to at home?  I'm sure people care.

But you can talk here, or even private message me through this site or anyone of us.  

The medication does cause sleep disturbances, but often it'll wear off.  A doctor told my son to take them in the morning rather than night, as they can keep you awake.

Keep in touch - we all want to help xx

• Posted

i do need help but not sure how im gonna get it as i dont have any support in person no friends or anything im not sure what to do just wanna be loved xx

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

As the other said, it is quite common to feel worse before feeling better. I felt terrible (extreme sadness and anxiety) until about 30 days. That is my new definition of hell.

But after that period, my condition improved a lot (I'm on 38th day) and so should yours. You should know that fluoxetine attain its concentratino peak on your brain after about 5 weeks. And not only that, but your brain chemistry takes even longer to fully adapt to the medication.

It is all know by the good doctors, so you have to hold tight and know that it will pass soon =)

• Posted

thankyou for getting back to me im hoping i feel better soon ive noticed the tablets have been waking me up at 5.am in the morning ive been having sleep problems
  • Posted

Hi matthew

Youre not alone, people on this forum have all been through it or are going through it and have experienced many or all of the same feelings as you are me included .

Although it feels awful now its a long process and you feel much worse before you start to feel better. Around 6-8 weeks everyone says. If you cant find anyone you know to talk through try local support groups, ask your doc. Chatting on here helps.

Exercise does a lot to help if you can push yourself to do a little, just walk to the shops or to a friends if you can. Distract your mind too reading watching a film etc.

All advice says stick with it, things will get better although I know how hard it is to be patient when you feel so awful. I hope things improve quickly for you. Wishing you all the best.

V

• Posted

so where would i find a local support group people do tell me to talk to people but im on my own and i cant do it

• Posted

hi matthew, im new on here, so cant give you any guidance on the tablets, as im asking for help on here for my 19yr old daughter. i read your post last night, and woke up thinking of you, i just want you to know your not alone, this forum will help and guide you through it, maybe you should go back and speak to your gp?

i hope today is a little brighter for you, xx

• Posted

hello karen i am also 19 years of age and wish your daughter all the best on these i hope you get back in touch
    • Posted

hi matthew, i hope your coping a little better, and can see on here, that people do care, and want to help you. i know its not easy, and as a mum, i feel for you, being so young, its alot to deal with. take care my love, xx
    • Posted

thank you for this im very unloved my self no ones ever really loved me and im desperate to be loved just wish i had a girlfriend i could hug everyday i know its alot to deal with thanks for getting back in touch xx

• Posted

honey, why not volunteer one day a week at a charity, or animal shelter, like someone on here suggested in a post, ask at the job centre if there are any courses you could go on, try for an apprenticeship? go to the local library? anything that will get you out the house and amongst people for a little while. could you foster a dog?

i know its very hard when you feel unloved, but maybe you need to concentrate on yourself for now, things will get better.

maybe ask in the library or at your gp, or google  for a list of mental health places in your area. here, where we live they are self referal, you just phone up and talk to them, some you can even book online. if things get too  unbearable to cope then phone the samaritans,

here, at the job centre you can apply for a half price travel pass, maybe that would help with costs of getting out and about.

good luck, xx

• Posted

thankyou for the support there but i cant do alot on my own to do with the guy i am hopefully i might find someone who can support me

• Posted

hi matthew, i hope today is a good day for you, have you sorted any councelling, or support yet, i know its a big step, but there will be someone who can help and guide you so you are not alone. its day 19 for my daughter and she finally managed some sleep!!
    • Posted

yea they said they will get back to me in a couple of weeks about counselling and im still very lonely and depressed just want someone to hold me and be there ive just passed a months worth myself glad its going well for your daughter atleast your there to support her xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.