day 18 on fluoxetine

Posted , 8 users are following.

i dont feel good atall on this ive just been curling up sad and depressed with songs non stop in my mind driving me insane its horrible i dont know what to do next i dont have any support im 19 doing this all on my own please help

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Matthew

How are things?

Are you in the UK.  If so, look up MIND on Google, there should be one in your area.  They'll be able to help and support you.  Also there's TalkingSpace where you can get counselling - either look them up on Google too or MIND can put you in touch with them.  Your doctor should be giving you all the help and recommending this to you.

Exercise is good ..... can you join a badminton group, a gym or something else that appeals.  It'll get you out, give you exercise and you'll meet people too.

Are you at college?  Are you working?  Just wondering if you're out during the day or at home.

K xx

• Posted

ive just picked up my 2nd lot of tablets and my doctor doesnt give me alot of support and yea i live in south wales i did 2 years in college then 5 months work experince i sign weekly for the job center i have a couple of things on in the week

• Posted

I'm sure as you continue on this medication, you'll begin to feel the benefits in time.  Fluoxetine is one that's prescribed for younger people.  My son is 20 and has also been through a bad depressive time recently and is on this medication too.  It's been really tough for him, but he now seems to be coming through the other side.

So you're getting out a bit during the week?  That's good to get out at times.  Have you thought of a bit of charity work which will help being with people, though I'm not sure how that would fit with signing on.

When you see you doctor next, ask if there's any support group

• Posted

ooops pressed REPLY before I'd finished :-)

...... ask if there's any support groups in the area, and ask for counselling.  I also strongly suggest you contact MIND as they'll help.

Keep in touch on here - you're not alone - we're all here to help support you.

K xx

• Posted

im also a very sensitive ans shy person and cant really do anything on my own cant talk to anyone its too hard i just texted mind though wonder if they will get back

• Posted

Oh bless you.  My son is also quite shy and finds making friends difficult.  Do you play Xbox online ....... it's not ideal, but you do connect with people to play rather than actually meeting them.  How about online chat too - I hear people do that.  Facebook is another.  These are all ways to connect with people but not having to face them if you feel shy. It might help build your confidence, and it's good to chat.

Glad you've texted MIND.  If you don't hear, maybe send them an email too.

K xx

• Posted

ive got facebook ive been trying to talk to people all year but keep getting hurt no one cares anymore also ive stopped playing games now cause i thought while im playing a game i could be trying to get a social life so i hardly play games anymore its been ages i really want a girlfriend see

• Posted

My son met his girlfriend online ....... I'll ask him which social site.

Yes I know, Xbox can take you out of the social set, but it's a case of playing occasionally, not all the time.  True, you can get some unscrupulous people online, but you can also ignore ones like that.

K x

• Posted

i have played alot of online in the last 2 years never found anyone though only made some online friends but i need people to be around me see

• Posted

Yes true, having people around you is better.

How about joining a badminton club, a gym, some kind of sport or music ie drum or djembe ..... something that will get you out, and something that involves other people. It won't necessarily find you immediate friends, but sticking at it will give you regular contact with people.  That's how friends become.  Music is so good for illnesses like this - it lifts your spirits gradually.  Exercise also does the same.

My sons doctor suggested the same, which he has done, and said although taking medicine will help, you also have to work on the social side, even if it's something small and even if you initially stand at the back.  You have to put yourself out of your comfort zone sometimes, and I know that can be hard.  When you start school you mix with people and so form friendships ... same as we get older, but we need to go out and do this.  It is hard, especially if you're shy ... but small, gradual steps.

Dont necessarily go looking for a girlfriend ...... often people find someone they're friends with, someone they share a workplace with, someone they share an activity with.  Concentrate on yourself getting well .... a girlfriend will turn up when you least expect it :-)

I read that next year there's a new scheme being launched to help fund people to join a mainstream sports club or gym ....... as this is part of combating depression.  Exercise is good - raises the endorphins.

K xx

• Posted

Hi matthew

Ive heard there is help available through sites such as mind, anxiety alliance and similar although your gp should be able to refer you to be assessed for therapy (cant comment on that yet im awaiting mine). Discuss what youre going through with your gp, for reassurance that although its awful its fairly normal for starting anti depressants, most people on this site have been through similar.

Im still battling through symptoms and side effects of fluoxetine but im determined to keep going as I desperately want to feel like myself again. Though 6-8 weeks does feel like an eternity when you feel crap.

Theres a few websites that give really good advice on coping, cant put addresses on but message me if you would like links. 

Hoping that you feel an improvement soon.

Take care

Vix

• Posted

Hi matthew

How are you doing? Hope youre feeling a bit better.

Vix

• Posted

hey vix thanks for the message i supposse im better but still got no one there to hold me still wishing to get a girlfriend my life goal i need i so bad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.