Day 32 on 10mg Cit

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wanted some reassurance really - I've been feeling much brighter in myself last few days but just can't sleep! I go to bed exhausted and fall asleep easily but I wake up after 4 hours and it's horrible! I just lie there trying to sleep and my muscles twitch all over the place, restless legs and massive waves of anxiety. I end up tossing and turning with palpitations and then when I finally get up (force myself up) I have major nausea and heave for ages! It's so annoying as I feel brighter and am working on my intrusive thoughts etc but have no energy and feel constantly on edge. Don't want to up dose as can't bear more of this but just need to know that this will pass. Anyone there had similar experience and can offer advice please? X

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Morning Nacho,

Yes, many of us have and at around this early stage in the taking of Cita.

It is annoying and sometimes debilitating to suddenly take a step or two back or have increased or new added extras (side effects is too negative a phrase!) when you think you are getting better.

Have you spoken to your GP about these, as you should on  a regular basis with everything that is happening with you? I have from the very start, sometimes even being led by the hand by the Fiancee whilst in a fuzzy or spaced phase. However, even though half the time these discussions had to be repeated to me when I did have a clear moment, they certainly do help. I increased by 10mg to 20mg and things did gradually get a little better, then by 10mg to 30mg and I started to be able to handle most of any increased added extras and any blips! I did actually go to 40mg before I fully levelled out. 

Your GP and you will decide on the best course of action for you, as long as your GP know about sticking plasters for the brain of course! 

One thing everyone that gets through will advise is that you must stick with the med let it run its course, however long that takes. We are all individuals and the repairs are different for each and everyone of us! 

You are not alone and you have us as added support. Keep posting and reading, but try not to over think or worry.

Regards,

David

(PS for some bizarre reason I have a craviing for mexican food! Lol!)

• Posted

Hi Nacho

Those first few weeks are a bit hellish at times and I totally get the sleep difficulties. My thoughts raced so much my sleep was nearly non existent. My Dr prescribed me zoplicone(sp) for sleeping,but I found that they made things worse for me,so I was then prescribed diazepam. I found it really helped me get through the bumpy first few weeks.

I started on 20mgs and have worked up to 40mgs,which is working great for me. I do occasionally have rough days,but citalopram coupl ed with counseling has given me the ability to be able to cope so much more confidently with the blips.

Citalopram does work,but we are all individual and for some it works quickly and for others like me,it can take a bit longer. It is well worth it though.

Louise.

• Posted

It will pass i find 4-6 week mark. Do u take the citalopram at night? That may be idea or vice versa.
    • Posted

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for delayed response - I'm trying to stop constantly searching sites for reassurance but today it got the better of me!  I also realise I am only on day 32 now so I was a bit ahead of myself.

I take the cit when I wake up in the morning....well that's not strictly true as I wake up at 5am and toss and turn but then I take it about 7.30am.  I remember when I took it before it took sometime for the sleep pattern to get better so i think I will stick to it in the mornings for now.  Just so sick of the day anxiety and my brain is so forgetful, I feel like I'm in a fog the whole time I'm at work!  Sorry, I'm ranting now!

How are you getting on?  And thanks for the tip that I still have a few weeks to go! x

• Posted

I'm going through that too but only week one on 5mg. It's time to move to 10mg and I'm so scared. I wake every morning trembling and legs switching with massive anxiety. I'm even taking Xanax with it but still it's bad. I can't imagine 3-5 more weeks like this!

• Posted

Morning Vim,

I know this may not be exactly what you want to hear. but it is exactly what you need to hear. You are in the very early days of being prescribed this med so, do not look for a quick fix. Get up to 10mg and take it from there.

It may get worse, it may not, we are all one off miracles and no one person is the same! Therefore the added extras (as I prefer to call them as side effects just sound too negative) you get with this sticking plaster for the brain depends on the amount of repair work that needs doing. Let's face it, we don't put our cars in for a service and after half an hour say that'll do, I'll carry on driving, then run it into the ground until it truly breaks down now do we?

You have to give it time because we are so different. Some of the added extras others get, you  may never experience and if you do get one or two or ? you will not necessarily get the same intensity either! They may come and go before you know it, but you must be prepared to ride them out if they do come and linger a while.

I know it also sounds easy for me and others to say, but it will get better. I believed and I was a spaced out fuzzhead for as long as it took for that to pass and then for me to realise how ill I had become and I didn't want to go back to that. That is why, like everyone else, I stuck with it rode out the cr*p and started seeing the light at the end of my particular tunnel. I took all the wonderful advice people gave me here, accepted it may be sh*ite, posted loadsa questions and got loads of replies in the form of guidance, advice and general think about it therapy. This sometimes can worry you, make you over think, but I kept posting and gradually I came to understand what had happened and that the only way is forward and not back. Not back to my old self,  the way I was, or the old me even. Aftter all, why return to what made you ill and brought you here in the first place?!

I am fortunate that I have a GP that knows a lot about mental illnesses and she has taught me and my Fiancee to understand what has, did and now is happening to me as I have progressed from breakdown, through the cr*p and now well into recovery. Still get the odd blip (which you get in life), but I know it and can deal with it, with very little effort sometimes even without thinking about it. 

The great thing is, that you are here! You have already started your journey to recovery and no one will kid you it will may not be hard. We can give you lots of advice, whenl we know how to help.

eep posting, no matter how insignificant or silly it may feel because, many of us have been there and every post helps us keep focused and others on their individual journeys. The best way to get the help and answers you need is to post and we'll take it from there.

In the meantime Welcome to The Club! It is an all inclusive one that becomes like a bit of a best friend who can help, I'll go as far as it feels like Family some times, that is how good it can be. However, like any group of friends or with family we do have the odd one, but after a while you'll be able to spot them! Lol!

Before I finish this ramble, I must mention the importance of an emergency duvet in a room, other than the bedroom, where you hang out a lot. This comes in very handy for the times you make it out of bed and that's about it! Having yer emergency duvet to hand is great to crawl under and curl up in until you feel like moving again!

That's it fer now!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thank you. Feeling really bad today. Can't stop shaking, diarrhea and nausea. I can't imagine being like this for two more weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.