Day 6 of Panic Attacks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Seems every time I wake up now, I've got a panic attack starting. My heart rate has been consistently above 95 since I woke, peaking at 137 (I'm wearing my mothers fitbit to track it). Haven't taken a benzo so far, and am trucking through the attack as best I can.

I really want this to stop though...I'm reaching my wits end. This is so exhausting, and I feel like I'm not getting any better, simply used to it. But I still wouldn't be able to take care of my child on my own like this, it's debilitating... Could I be suffering caffeine withdrawl at the same time? I was drinking 3+ cans of coca cola daily, now down to 1.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Caffiene, Carbohydrates and over thinking will cause this. The brain is still in the confused mode where its just releasing adrenaline. Best course of action would be to eliminate caffiene and find something to preoccupy your mind.
    • Posted

Only reason I had the 1 can past 5 days is because I didn't want to worsen my condition, although now that I have gone through an attack without having a benzo, I will not be having one today and see how it goes.

• Posted

Hi, I'd also suggest that you might want to take the Fitbit off and stop monitoring yourself? I have a Fitbit and as soon as I pay attention to my HR on the screen it rises. When I think about my HR it rises in fact, so I imagine that constantly monitoring it and then getting worried about the results is a vicious circle.

Have you thought about exercise? When you body is in fight or flight you can use it as it's primed for physical action at then - it will help to use the adrenaline in your system while also using and lowering the blood glucose.

• Posted

I know it can be bad, my doctor thought it best if I tracked and recorded my HR for when I see her on the 17th.

And no! I will definetely do that next time. This has been all a huge wake-up call for me in regards to my health; not one of the lucky ones who can use and abuse their body and be fine, hehe

• Posted

You'll probably be ok now that you're eliminating caffeine.

• Posted

Sugar is very bad for anxiety, it makes my heart almost pop out of my chest at times when I drank almost a bottle of cola. Sweets, cookies chocolate, you name it. After I've taken those my anxiety shoots through the roof. Sugar is very bad.

• Posted

So what every one is saying is good advice but every one is different. As for the caffine yes withdrawls do make anxiety worse. I did that for a little bit but then i started again and it acutally helps me. The coca cola is very acidic and can make your stomach upset which will make things worse. I agree the heart rate will only make things worse the moment you see the high heart rate you will panic. The adrenaline is  making things tuff. sleep is very important witih anxiety. the best way ive dealt with panic attacks and  i use to have them every night all night every 5 min is to face it head on. Be like come at me panic give me your best shot i cant take it and that can negate some of the symptoms. yes sugar and all that could be bad but it dependes on the person. the low fod map diet helped me with anxiety and exerise was key because it realsed chemicals that made you feel good. only use those benzos when your really bad as they are addictive 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.