Day 7 on citalopram and feel awful

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on my 7th day of citalopram n I feel even more depressed n hopeless than usual sad

Is this normal?

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can I ask, who diagnosed you as needing citalopram?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I posted this elsewhere but I have to ask I don't suppose you know if your GP has any training with regards to psychiatry and treatments, do you?

The only reason I ask is that there are more helpful methods of coping with anxiety than simply adding to the anxiety by giving you a crutch to lean on until talking therapies (more helpful) become available. For a GP to first diagnose something she doesn't have any understanding of and second, treat with medication without understanding what that medication actually does, is all too common a mistake they make and deeply irresponsible.

Reading what you have said, I've been there - can relate to it totally - and I don't know what advice you've already had in terms of relaxation exercises but currently are you on the waiting list to see anybody else, guided self-help, counselling, EMDR, CBT at all?

I'd urge anybody who is offered medication to ask what right the person has to prescribe it, what training the person has to be able to determine whether or not it is compatible with the individual they're providing it to, and to provide evidence that the medication will give effective, subjective and individual treatment to the person it's being prescribed to with effective, subjective and individual results.

One size doesn't necessarily fit all. GP's are good, don't get me wrong, some have taken that extra training to be able to cope with patients who visit them with a psychiatric difficulty, but a lot really haven't and have absolutely no right putting their foot into the arena. What they should do is refer them to a doctor within the surgery who has that training, and more often than not they will almost definitely never give medication without first offering a different path to follow - that of talking therapies.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am currently in the process of seeing a link worker to sort out some kind of counsilling etc have had a mental health assessment to.

im being supported by my health visitor too ( i have 2 young children)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its probably the medication getting into your system. They say it can make you feel worse before starting to make ypu feel better. Not great eh. Is this the first anti depressant you've tried? 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, What doseage are you on? I started with 20mg and felt awful so after a couple of weeks i reduced to 10mg after talking to the GP. I have been on it a few weeks now and feel a lot better, i only take it to take the edge off my anxiety. What are your side effects? You can private message me if you want to talk.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm on 10mg at the moment as they wanted to start on a low dose and increase gradually as I reacted really badly to sertraline.

Main way I feel is just really tearful n my mood is even lower than usual plus I have a headache I can't shift but am wondering if that just because I feel so stressed out 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again if you can manage on 10mg i would stick with that. Your side effects should wear off after a couple of more weeks. My side effects were worse on the 20mg, loss of appetite, sleeplessness, increased anxiety. On the 10mg i sleep better, eating again and have only had a couple of anxiety attacks in the last few weeks. I am sticking with the low dose as i would rather not take meds but it takes the edge off. I am on here most days if you want to talk again.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Citalopram often causes bouts of tiredness that can be misconstrued as tiredness. The only advice that I can give, having been through a similar thing, is keep your head up and remember that you are not alone.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up