Day 7 on citalopram and sleeping badly

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've suffered with anxiety and slight depression over the years and have been on Cit before but stupidly tapered off at the end of last year as I 'felt better'....have realised I wasn't feeling good recently so I'm now on day 7 of Cit again. I know from experience that for the first few weeks it messes up my sleep pattern - exhausted and yawning all day, feel sick and not hungry, by the evening I feel ok and have more energy and then sleep as soon as I go to bed. BUT then I wake at 4-5am with major anxiety and that's when my mind takes over. I know it will get better and it's just side effects but it's horrible and it would be great to hear from anyone experiencing the same? Maybe talking on here to each other will help us realise we aren't alone? Thanks and have a good day!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It can take up to 6 weeks for meds to kick in.

Your symptoms will get worse before they get better

This is all very common and you are not alone

Stay Strongsmile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lynne - I know it will get better, I am just impatient and have trouble remembering sometimes.  Really good to know I'm not alone so thank you for taking the time! lol
  • Posted

Im in day 3. Feel ok in morn and then take the pill and feel worse again. I'm ok with sleep at night. Feel tired thru day tho. I still don't believe all my symptoms can be from anxiety but I'm hoping these work and I know I'm ok and can get back to living! I hope u get a sleep and feel better soon 😊
    • Posted

Everyone is different but I know that the feelings i have at the moment (and sleep depravation) are related to the tablet making changes in my levels of seratonin in the brain.  Almost want to forward on a couple of weeks when we feel better eh?  Thanks for your reply it's nice to know we're not alone!  Have a good day!
    • Posted

I'm hoping I do feel better I'm new to the pill thing but I honestly don't see a light yet st the end of the tunnel! I'm hoping there is one. Hope u get back to a sleep routine very soon 😊
    • Posted

You will feel better, it just takes time for your body to absorb all the goodness and raise those seratonin levels.  I've tried to just stay in teh moment and try not to think too far ahead, a bit like being 'mindful' however not that easy when you're at work and your mind starts wandering!!  Keep positive hun x
    • Posted

Thanks very much. I'm feeling slightly better this afternoon, defo will stick with the medd and hopefully I'll be enjoying life again very soon. Thanks and take care 😊X
  • Posted

i was changed by my doctor on thursday from sertraline 100mg to prozac 20mg its been a tough few days ,my anxiety thru the roof,doctor yesterday referred me to crisis mental health people as i was so bad in surgery waiting room,the receptionists had to take my kids into a seperate room and look after them as my mind/mood/panic /anxiety was out of control,doc gave me diazepam and i had 5 hours sleep compared to the previous 2 nights,i was sleeping from 8pm to 2am and would wake up with tremors shakes and unbelievable panic,im sure all this will ease for you and me both when the meds start to take effect x
    • Posted

You poor thing, sounds like you are really suffering!  These damned tablets can have awful effects and if you're already a panicky person then they definitely won't help.  Perhaps your doc can prescribe you a short term relaxant (only a couple as they are addictive) just so that perhaps when you're able to have time out from the kids (perhaps when they're in bed) you can get some decent rest?  I am sure we will both be fine, we just have to be patient and get through the next few weeks.  Feel free to reply if ever you need someone to talk to - we are in this together! x
    • Posted

thanku for that,my symptoms have been so bad since feb,tingly feet,one numb tingly hand,and a constantly numb face with tingly lips and chin,iv been convinced i have ms although docs say no,with chronic health anxiety its hard to trust them and always think theyre missing something!the panic sets in from the moment i wake up and continues til i fall asleep,im on propranolol 80mg twice a day,the prozac and then the diazepam the odd time in small doses x
    • Posted

I had a similar experience a few years ago where I was convinced I was ill or had MS; had all blood tests etc and it was fine but by that point my anxiety was through the roof so was prescribed anti-d's.  Health anxiety really is very common and trust me it will pass once the meds start to work.  Are you with family/working at the moment?  I know it's difficult to not focus on the sensations but just try and face it head on and realise that they are just feelings/sensations and nothing bad is going to happen.  Like the book says, feel the fear and do it anyway - that's how I try and get though hun x
    • Posted

wise words nacho lol,its great that you know exactly how i feel,so difficult isnt it?ive been on citalapram on and off for years in between having the kids but mainly to prevent p n depression which i had after my first,when i started with anxiety they doubled my dose with no effect then swapped to sertraline then doubled that,every week iv been back at docs for reassurance its not ms due to the numbness,r4 docs have told me no then finally put me onto the prozac,i do feel slightly better today and hope thats dow to prozac kickin in rather than the diazepam cos im not wanting to keep takin thatand docs are very reluctant to hand it out,they have given me int 4 times in the lsst few weeks and each time they say no more after this time but then i go back in such a mess and so they give me a couple of days worth x
    • Posted

soz about the spelling i have baby on my knee,im a mum of 8 3 are grown up but i have 5 little ones at home plus my stepson so in the house we have 6 kids ranging from 10 months to 13 yrs,thsts half the resdon the anxiety has got a grip of me i think ,so no i dont work just run about like s crazy woman after 6 kids lol x
    • Posted

Blimey that's a whole lot of kids, no wonder you're stressed out!!  But also a good thing that you have things going on around you to keep you focused - sitting around thinking about your symptoms doesn't help, no matter how much you may want to do it!!  Years ago when my anxiety was at its worst I used to lose the feeling in my hands, and also get the prickly feeling in my face and lips.  Believe me, it is all just anxiety and an overreactive nervous system.  It'll take time but you will get stronger, promise! x
    • Posted

yeah iv had a couple of episodes where my hand doesnt feel like its mine like rubbery,its always tingly tho,and my face well thats just two completely numb cheeks, 24/7yeah been married twice so two sets of kids,my eldest are 23 21 19 then theres the little ones 10 7 5 3 and then the baby ! life is hectic but iv always been in control til now! didnt plan on so many but wouldnt change things,my 5 yr old gives me the most grief but im sure shes autistic,its actually very mentally exhausting looking after her never mind the others lol x
    • Posted

Bless you, that's a lot falling on your shoulders, I hope you have family and friends around you that can help?  I know you have a lot going on but is it possible you could try and get out and do some exercise, I do classes even if I don't feel like it, and I definitely feel better afterwards.x
    • Posted

not a chance,its 24/7 the kids,family dont help except my hubby,im sure id feel better if i did get out but when im feeling normal i love my crazy hectic family life and dedperstely wanna get back to that x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.