Day and night sweats with Esmya

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

On my second course of esmya ( first course no shrinkage of fibroids)and I have only got through the first month, however the hot flashes seem to of doubled with the second course . I dont remember them being this bad on the first , getting very disturbed sleep and walk around all day with a fan ! Anyone else find this on their second course? Seriously thinking about coming off but cant get a doctors appointment for a month and I am scheduled for an op around xmas if I go ahead . 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, I have done four courses of Esmya and yes I found the sweats and hot flushes got worse, but I always took this as a sign that Esmya was working - once I stopped taking it and the sweats stopped then the fibroids grew. For me Esmya greatly reduced the fibroids and each time they have taken longer to grow back and the bleeding has stopped for around 4-5 months in between courses. So 

I would say try to persevere, it may now be working for you. 

• Posted

Thats good to hear christine however what happens when we have exhausted all 4 courses they will surely grow back I suppose . Not sure Im just putting off the inevitable , a hysterectomy . I do like the idea of the hot flashes means it working , I feel a bit more positive now . Thankyou 
    • Posted

Well for me I'm hoping I'm at last through menopause and the fibroids won't grow back again but yes otherwise I agree. However I think Esmya shrank my fibroids enough that had I needed a hysterectomy (and it may still happen if they grow back) it would not have been as complicated as before when my uterus was right up to my belly button! 

• Posted

I too am hoping the menopause is going to save me from an op also, but been having hot flashes for 2 years on and off but good old periods keep coming as regular as clockwork darn it. A colleague at work finished the menopause 2 years ago and only last week had her fibroids removed ,shes glad shes through it now and wish she didnt listen to the gyno when he said they will shrink with menopause and had it done sooner, guess it wont with everyone .
  • Posted

Yes it seems to be a myth about fibroids shrinking as soon as menopause hits. I haven't had a period for about 3 years (difficult to say exactly when as the fibroids were causing so much bleeding), but the fibroids were still growing and I didn't really have any menopausal symptoms unless I took Esmya. I finished the last course at the beginning of May and have had no bleeding since then so fingers crossed - and I am still having sweats and flashes.

• Posted

Hope it works out for you , they really are a pain aren't they . I hadn't heard of them till January of this year and yet everyday since they are on my mind. I am down for a hysterectomy around xmas however I wanted to give esmya a second shot , no one wants an op really do they if it can be avoided . Anyway hun good luck and keep us posted its good to have someone to talk to about it as Im sure my  hubby is getting sick of hearing about it bless him .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.