Day to day life during recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 3 weeks since my hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repairs. I am curious to hear what other people do during their days. I worry that I am not doing enough, or that I am doing too much.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sassy. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow for slight anterior and larger posterior repair, and also laparoscopy for some more endo and adhesions. It's been a long 3 weeks eh? I've been increasing doing a bit more as the discomfort has lessened. As I'm home alone a good bit of the time, have had to! Washing up a must. Did some waist level dusting yesterday. Managing to do clothes washing using a grabber, and putting wet clothes only on my shoulder to take to clothes horse. No ironing yet, definitely no vacuuming. Just sitting for a bit, walking for a bit standing, then laying down. Mostly on the Internet when sitting, and a bit of tv. How about you? Hope you're ok x

• Posted

We are on the same track for healing! My days consist of showing in the morning, after I have slept in.... (used to wake at 7 but now its anywhere from 9:30 - 11:00). Take my pills, eat breakfast. May do a load of laundry, which is taking a few items at a time to washer machine. I will do dishes that may be in thr sink. Sit in recliner a lot! I crochet to keep my mind off of the discomfort. I am in the United States and live in Florida, so weather is nice here year round, so I may walk around apartment complex, or walk to pool to see my friends. My co-workers have been angels and have been supplying most of our dinners since my surgery. Huge help. I don't do much house work maybe dusting, or clearing off the counter. I have started cooking small meals. Have been grocery shopping a few times, but have help putting things in car, family carries items in. Did go to beach one day last week to sit and watch waves. Other than that I have feet propped up and resting. I am so greatful to have found this sight as I would have probably over done it and be completely miserable. My Dr just said take it easy , no lifting, and keep constipation under control. Those were my post op instructions. Thank you for sharing your day with me! Keep me posted on how you are feeling!

• Posted

Hi Sassy. Sounds an idyllic place to recover! smile I am in the UK, and we had hailstones, thunder and lightning yesterday. I have been walking around the street where I live, which as lovely as it is, isn't a patch on the beach or pool! I'm currently having my shopping delivered when my partner is away. My instructions say about light shopping, which I will go next week with my partner. I'm scared of it failing so taking it really steady. It's a small price to pay.....a few weeks of restriction for a successful outcome. Definitely no lifting, and keeping constipation at bay a must. Slowly but surely is the key I think x

• Posted

Hi please do as little as peossible as you could undo the good work. I know it's hard but encourage friends to visit, watch rubbish films and try to enjoy being lazy for once!!!! 

Wishing you a speedy recovery xxxx

• Posted

So am I doing too much? It is hard to be lazy though. I will definitely not do much, glad I posted. Thank you
  • Posted

Hi SassyJ63

Think we are all in a similar position, so scarey how much can/can't do you at the moment I'm guided by my body if it hurts I don't do it!!!! Have washed up a little, laundry a little and short walks definitely no driving yet, me to post op 3 weeks today( I had anterior, posterior and perineum repair for vaginal prolapse) definitely feel like I'm doing nothing I move from the bed to the sofa and thinking of changing my career and becoming a film critic I've watched so many movies thank God for sky tv, my knitting and 📚 books!, wishing you a continued speedy recovery take care x😻

• Posted

Yes, we are in the same boat. You are spot on, when you say you let your body guide you. What amazes me is everyday, you may have a new pain, or a different discomfort from the day before. You have good days and bad days. When you have good days you may push the envelope on what you do cause you feel ok, but I think we pay for it the next few days after cause we did too much.... The other interesting thing is, everything is different now. For example, if you had gas before your surgery, it was more of an annoyance, now it is downright painful. Going to the bathroom is painful. We really take a lot for granted prior to the surgery. On top of all that, you sit and worry that you may have messed something up! These are my struggles. Thanks for replying to my post. I hope you are doing well
    • Posted

Morning ladies. Hope you're well. You're so right Sassy. Everything is now very sensitive, but as it's been moved around, stitched and bruised, there's no wonder really. The bruising on of my cannula sites has only just disappeared today, and that was just a needle! So really there's no surprise we are struggling 3 weeks on. It is hard doing very little, and unfortunately gives you more time to think. My friends have been amazing calling round, and keeping me distracted, but I may get a taxi to see a friend today, a different four walls would be nice. Sending healing hugs to you x

• Posted

Hi sassy

Hope your ok, it's crazy everything you have said is how I'm feeling, or what I'm doing? Your reading my mind lol, other worries I have don't know about you? How do you know if you've emptied your bladder completely I can sit there for several minutes and still keep stopping and starting and as for the other 💩 Best not to even get me started thanks for taking the time to reply this website is a godsend, quick question how do you feel about your after care? I was discharged with injections, painkillers, and apart from a three day admission for an infection they have sent me a follow up appt for 17.7.17 seems such a long time since my op on the 05.04.17 in their defence I know the healing process takes a long time so guess that's why! Still seem a bit abandoned take care x😻

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I am in the US and I believe our care us a lot different than the UK. My surgery was on 4/4/17, went home the next day with painkillers. Today is 4 weeks since surgery. I am still struggling with sitting up straight and putting direct pressure on my behind. Very uncomfortable. I have been seen one time since surgery cause I thought I had an infection, but did not. They do want to see me again today regarding this pain I have had for almost 2 weeks now when I sit. Now, I am just getting cranky, I am over these pains and ready for life to return to normal. They also have me scheduled for a 6 week check up as well. I will let you know how todays appointment goes but have a feeling, they will say its just healing blah, blah, blah. This site has given me more info than the office has about the aftercare. Hoping things will improve for the both of us very soon!

• Posted

Hi, went back to the doctor today for the pain when I sit. She said it is due to having everything reconstructed and sutured back into the space it should be. The pain id from the ligaments and nerves healing back up and pain may take 2-3 months to go away. She also said, I am healing very slowly, I should have lost the internal sutures by now. She asked about my sleeping etc.... said if I am not sleeping well, it takes longer to heal. She gave me to prescriptions, valium, 2 mg to place in vaginal area to relax all the muscles, and something for night time. This is such a long process to heal. She said no kegel exercises at all, she freaked when I asked her... lol. So thats good to know.
    • Posted

Hi SassyJ63

I'm 11 days post op. The biggest thing my doctor warned me about was the pain in the butt! I had a posterior and anterior repair and vault suspension. He said when they do the suspension they attach it to a ligament that ends in your butt and recommends sitting on he other cheek smile He said it'll take about 3 months to go away. I try to look on it as a sign that the suspension is working. Did your doc mention when to begin pelvic floor exercises? My info just says to begin when comfortable!!! I'm finding it hard to imagine being comfortable again smile

• Posted

My Dr. Said no to the pelvic floor exercises! I thought she was going to fly out of the chair when I asked! The pain in the back side is very uncomfortable! I didnt have it til the end of the 2nd week, and it is getting worse. I am 4 weeks post op now. It really feels like a charlie horse when it's really flaired up, other than that it hurts to put direct pressure on my butt when I sit. Like for driving or if I go out to eat at a restaurant. I guess it is a good sign that it's doing it's job, just wish it was more comfortable. Thanks for responding, and I hope your healing goes well! Stay in touch!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Hope you continue to recover well and that your pain gets better not worse!
  • Posted

Hi Sassy, I've had a different procedure for my prolapses (mesh rectopexy with resection) but the aftercare advice is similiar. I'm 2 and a half weeks after the surgery and am doing very little - making toast and going for a very short walk is about as active as I've been. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.