Days after anxiety/panick attack -DIAZEPAM opinions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a bad anxiety attack (panick attack according to psycohologist today)

It's the fifth day and the attack is still lingering in my body

My GP couldn't help so sent me to the Phsycologist who also didn't help ! Just wanted to know why I'm having the attack and explained anxiety like duh I know all this

I know a nurse who gave me diazepam to take but I'm scared - has anyone had this ? Will it make this episode of anxiety leave ? Or will it just make me feel okay until it wears off ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Riri000, I think the lingering symptoms could well be anxiety of it happening again rather than original symptoms, pop a diazepam and see how it leaves you feeling.
  • Posted

Hi there, I've been suffering with severe anxiety for about four years, although it's been a lot better the last few months, when it was really bad I was prescribed diazepam which made me feel normal again, I thought they'd actually found something that worked, however I didn't realise it's highly addictive and your body gets used to it after a while so it has less effect, after gradually reducing dosages to wheen myself off them, my doctor then prescribed 2 mg tablets of diazepam only to be taken when symptoms got bad , I can go 2 to 3 weeks without them but if I feel my anxiety with the horrible physical sensations that won't seem to go away I'll take a 2 mg tablet sometimes ill even break one in half, this seems to take the edge off and I'll feel ok, this method has really helped me to cope with it,

Just try not to take them on a regular basis, I've also found camomile tea is great for anxiety, hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much jake !

I used to be on long term medication years ago and since then I've only ever taken natural rememedies! But this attack was a joke sad so I only plan to take it once ! From your experience have u had anxiety last as long as a few days ? And do you belive from your experience after diapezam it would end that anxiety episode ? Xx

• Posted

Hi Jake,

You mention "horrible physical sensations", in your post. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind talking a bit more about this.

The reason I ask is 7 months ago I had what I thought was irregular heart beats, felt like my heart was missing a beat and that would send a wave from my chest up through my body, neck and head. That's the best was I can describe it. This wave made me feel like my body stopped for a split second and then would carry on.

I got in to a hot and cold sweat, panic situation over this. With a lump in my throat and a odd feeling about me, almost like I had trapped wind in my throat.

I saw the doctor and he checked me out, did some blood tests and a ecg. After that he said it was a stress induced panic attack. Even though im not stressed!

About 2 weeks ago, it happened again. I ignored it for a day or two hoping like before it would go. But it didn't this time. And by day 3 I ended up in A&E at the hospital. Where they did the same thing, plugged me into an ECG monitor and did some tests. The doctor there said there is nothing wrong with my heart again. This is what worries me the most, is that its my heart.

He sent me to see my GP the next morning with some notes. She checked me again and prescribed me a drug to help with it.

Two weeks on and im still suffering although not as bad as I was.

But im still a little in doubt about what I've been told as I have trouble believing that there is symptoms with out a physical cause.

I sometimes get this weird feeling in my chest, like I miss a heart beat.

I also get a strange sensation in my lower neck or around my Adams apple like a lump in the throat or trapped wind.

I get hot waves and a feeling of not in control or panic over my heart stopping or being in a public area I.e. At work when I have these strange sensations.

I just wondered if you or anyone else can relate to this.

It's starting to drive me nuts now. And I've had 3 different doctors examine me now and run tests and they have all said the same. I've read that a medical expert can quite quickly tell the different between a panic attack and a heart problem too.

But I still find it hard to except and why am I still suffering two weeks on.

• Posted

Hi there, sorry for the delayed response, but I don't visit the site as often as I used to, yes I have had anxiety that lasts for more than a few days, taking half a diazepam tablet doesn't make it disappear instantly or completely but it makes it a lot more bearable and I'm able to go about normal functions at work and concentrate better.

My symptoms are not as severe as they were a couple of years ago, been in and out of hospital more times than I remember, and had every test possible, I still thought they'd missed something and felt I was going to die any day.

It was only when I accepted it was anxiety and tried to alter my mindset I started to get better,

The mind is such a powerful thing, it's the subconscious thoughts the mind has, and you don't realise you're doing it.

Looking back I realise I was negative thinking and imagining the worst case scenario all the time, also thinking about tragedies that have happened in my life and worrying about the future, sorry if I'm going on a bit, but changing the way i think has made the physical symptoms go away, at least most of the time the mild symptoms I get now I can deal with.

It's the worst illness I've ever had because it's so hard to explain to people what you're feeling,

But it can be beaten, best wishes to you.

Jake

• Posted

Hi great reply to Riri. I too tried to stress diazapam helps me but just in a very small dose . Helps me to push on get out , etc as at my worst I would just focus on what bad things minght happen in future or just how anxious I was about everything. Glad your coping better. I seem to give good advice to others( as I've had so many years ) but I can still have bad days when it's hard to stick in there. I just think why do we have to have an illness that can affect our lives like this. Like you ( positive thinking) there's always somebody worse off. Glad people are reaching out on here , I was scared to ask for help, thought l was strange or something. Now I know so many of us so similar though I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Lonely illness. Don't feel as alone talking here . People know how it feels . Rambling now, ??

• Posted

Hi ramekin,

Sorry for the delayed response, you asked about my symptoms, yes I have had similar symptoms to yours, like a fluttering feeling and twinges which feel like they're in the heart area this feeling also triggers off a panicky feeling then other feelings occour like hot flush sensations dryness of the mouth, palpitations breathing problems etc.

Other symptoms I have had are digestion problems, electric body jolt sensations only lasts a few seconds but quite frightening, weakness in the legs, pins and needles in hands and feet, heightened senses to hot and cold environments,

A slight imbalance feeling as though I'm going to pass out but never do, frozen shoulder where its hard to lift left arm lasted about 6 months, and a numb feeling in my head as if my brain is still half asleep causing lack of concentration, I find it hard to prioritise anything, everything seems like a major task.

I've been rushed off in an ambulance from work about 4 times over the past 4 years and had loads of tests everything normal.

This last year I've decided to trust the doctors opinions that it's severe anxiety, and change my thinking process and I've started feeling a lot better, the mind is a powerful thing,

Uncontrollable anxiety is a terrible illness, but it can be beaten.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi Jake,

Thank you so much for your reply. It's interesting the amount I read about this, most people seem not to want to trust medical advice. Im no different, I've had 3 doctors look at me now and they have all said the same thing, but im finding it so hard to believe them.

Im scheduled to wear a heart monitor for 6 or 7 days soon, but it would appear they are doing that to ease my mind more than anything else.

The ecg checks they have run multiple times already have come up negative and all the bloodwork and other things they have done have all been negative.

I still find it hard to believe. I think its because I believe in symptoms follow a cause. So I pulled a muscle in my leg a while back and it was painful. The pain was because I had damaged a muscle. I know that.

With this there seems to be symptoms with out a cause. So my mind says they've missed something and im going to die because of it.

My symptoms are all over the place too. Which again I read there is a very extensive list of symptoms and everyone suffers with a variation of some or all of them to different degrees.

Again I find it hard to believe stress and panic can do this, especially when I feel neither stressed or in panic until an attack. Then I panic which makes me stressed.

And my symptoms change, some go and some don't, some last seconds others last longer. There seems to be no pattern either.

It's all driving me nuts. And to think a short while ago I was perfectly fine. I almost changed over night. For no good reason.!!

• Posted

Hi riri.

I suffer with generalised anxiety, panic and depression disorders. When my panic attacks get really bad I still of resedule anxiety, it's only natural.

Diazepam allows you to calm down enough to get yourself back in order, if it helps you shouldn't notice it wearing off.

Like the other replies have said though it can get addictive if taken for a prolonged period of time so only take when needed.

Best wishes

D x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply ??It's really comforting to hear from someone who suffers the same and also has prolonged attacks - it's the first time I have had it linger and I just can't bare the sik feeling any more sad from your experience did diazepam end the episode ( the residual anxiety) or did it just make you feel normal u til it wore off? Xx

• Posted

Every time I've taken it it's allowed me to calm down enough to think rationally and the anxiety goes. It's up to you how you handle it from then on.

Normally for me 1x 2mg tablet helps me calm and 2 help me sleep.

Start off with one and see how it goes, if you've still got the anxiety then take another but just remember to give it between 20/30 minutes to kick in, it doesn't work immediately.

• Posted

It will help calm you a little so you can then push on . Not a cure but may help. I take this very small amount , doesn't make me feel drowsy or high, great , don't want to be doped up (that won't help ) meds can help alongside therapy(talking here to people who understand you) and other tips to help anxiety. Diazapam shouldn't harm you ( small amount) but of course will if you take too much. Ask doc. Talk anytime??

• Posted

Thank you so much xx

It's really comforting having you to talk to smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.