Dealing with anxiety!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I'm 23 years old and work full-time and have had a sudden onset of anxiety symptoms since the beginning of this year (2015). January was a particularly bad month, and some days/weeks are better than others. I'm almost 100% sure this is work related anxiety and there is a particular event which seems to be my focal point (took on a more demanding job, jumped up 2 pay grades and big cultural difference!).

My symptoms usually are only in the morning when I wake up for the first hour or so. I feel like I've got a brick on my chest, that my hearts beating quicker than normal and generally feel really stressed and anxious about the day ahead. It seems silly to say that usually when I get to work, I feel okay! I'm not sure if "morning anxiety" and/or "anticipatory anxiety" are a thing but that's how I'd categorize it. I don't want to consider going to my GP at this point as I don't feel its severe enough to start putting medication in my system and having read a lot of forums they always seem to make it a lot worse before it gets better!

I guess I just wanted to hear from people who may experience similar anxiety to me? This is completed new to me and I hate the sense of loss of control, lack of confidence etc.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry you after suffer it at such a young age am only 24 i started suffering beginning of last year i think I've suffered it longer but never realised until it got bad said i didn't need tablets ect i wish ide of listened some tablets do make you feel worse before you feel better but in the end it's worth it i was my old self again i stopped taking mine and it was the biggest mistake ever i was ok until they come out of my system but now feeling crappie again if you don't want to take tablets off a doctor try some kalms they help a bit you can buy these from asda or a chemist there a herbal remedie hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Thank you Kelly! Sorry to hear you also suffer from anxiety, it really is awful! I do already have a packet of Kalms actually but I don't think I've taken enough to probably get the full benefits x
  • Posted

You could try a cup of chamomile tea and some deep breathing exercises when you wake up. I have found adult colouring books to be a huge help. I bought the books from Amazon and invested in some good pens. They help me to focus my mind.x
    • Posted

Chamomile tea... Thanks! Something I wouldn't have thought of. Actually a great suggestion about the colouring book because I'm quite artistic, I'm going to try that. I think that's my problem that I'm so consumed with the stresses of work at the minute that I'm struggling to switch off and definitely need something else to focus my mind on outside of office hours .
  • Posted

Although in my earlier years I did suffer quite a bit from work-related anxiety attacks I did manage to get over it.

I suppose a great deal depends upon just how severe it is and how much it disrupts our lives that determines if we have to seek medical help for the problem..

The one thing I can tell you is that it can pass as quickly as it arrives once the pressure of whatever it is on our mind, subsides.

How to cope with it while it is with us? Well I think it is important to invoke coping mechanisms for this type of problem, and in this respect you maybe should consider concentrating on those things that you really enjoy in your free time.

For example music, being with friends, walking or taking-on a hobby if you don't already have one.

It can also help if you share your anxieties with your trusted friends. 

The secret is distracting yourself and getting as much relaxation as you are able to.

My wife has always used herbal teas and hobbies to relax her from the stress caused by being a teacher.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.