Dealing with Anxiety, depression, pregnancy & PTSD

Posted , 4 users are following.

The last several months (9) has been a very testing time for me. It all began (9/15) when I was attacked from the back while at work by one of my patients, causing me to end up suffering from PTSD. It was horrible.

My BF, X GF (from 3 years ago) decided that she wanted him back. So, she started stalking& harassing me on social media. Professing her love for him (all of the sudden). So, we argued everyday. I later found out he slept with her. If that wasn't bad enough. I was in treatment for my physical injuries endured by my patient.

Dealing with those situations lead me to become depressed & anxious. 

I got into an almost fatal car accident March 2016. More PTSD. More issues.

Found a therapist, saw her once a week things did not seem to improve while talking to her. She did not offer much help. She was nice. After 6 months, I switched to someone else. Immediately upon meeting her she suggested meds (I never wanted any meds; old therapist suggested the same & I refused). Every time we met she suggested meds. Finally gave in.

I was first put on Prozac. Short-period of time, 4-5 weeks the most. I was having suicidal thoughts. So, I stopped cold turkey. Did not let my GP & new therapist know for about 1 month that I had done this, there was no withdrawal sxs. Nothing. Awesome!

Still dealing with the X-GF & the current bad BF who refuses to leave. My situation is sticky... Work, & my combative patients. My own emotions & stressors. Life was becoming to unbearable. Physical pain, emotional pain. Pain everywhere it seemed.

So, I got on Sertraline. 25 mg for the first week & 50mg after. I was on it for about 4-5 weeks & found out I was 3-4 weeks pregnant. I was on it for a total of 6 weeks. At first, my OB/GYN swore it's safe& I will be fine& that I should continue my meds. Being a category C med, I felt uncomfortable continuing the dosage. So, I stopped COLD TURKEY July 18, 2016. Boy, oh boy... Has it been a ride.

Vivid lucid nightmares

Cold/hot sweats

Dizziness

Vertigo

Upset stomach

Nauseous (crazy amounts of it)

Loose Bowels

Constipation

Excessive sleepiness

Extreme Tiredness 

Depression (I've been having a hard time getting out of bed)

Vision blur - Like it takes awhile for me to focus. 

Pain behind my eyeballs

Headaches 

I've lost my appetite. 

Vomiting 

& the worst part, I am PREGNANT. So, I have no idea if these are from this terrible drug. Or, my early sxs of being knocked up. LOL. I think it's the terrible drug. I will never take it again. I will find natural ways to deal with my issues. 

My question is: how long will I suffer for? It's been 9 days so far. The vivid nightmares has decreased. Vision blur, brain fogs, imbalanced walking, headaches & nauseous are alive & well. EVERYDAY. 

What can I naturally do to alleviate some of my distress? 

I will not get back on that horrible drug. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

OMG Belle...

For your withdrawal...you should feel better in a couple days...remember that everyday the drug is leaving your body...so everyday you should feel a little better.

I recently withdrew from Citalopram (antidepressent) and felt all the same things as you and I took the drug for 8 years...so I thought it would last forever...I panicked and went to the hospital on about DAY 9....and the Dr. told me that the drug would not cause me discontinuation symptoms for more than 2 weeks.

Funny thing..as soon as he told me vitals were ok and my blood work was fine...I FELT BETTER immediately.

So I hope this post eases your concern...you could be making yourself feel this way...as I WAS because of FEAR.

• Posted

Missy,

I pray& hope the same. It seems that way. Funny enough, mornings are okay. It's late afternoons early evenings that are tough. 

But, FEAR, created in your own mind can extend the pain. 

I just don't know which is early sxs of prengancy or withdrawals. 

• Posted

I totally believe the anxiety kicks in the afternoon and evenings....so DOES mine ...that is when I have most of my anxiety....and that is without withdrawing or being pregnant!
    • Posted

I will try natural remedies & breathing tech since I know when it's the highest.

• Posted

I'm a midwife, Belle, and all your symptoms, apart from blurred vision and pain behind the eyeballs are normal in early pregnancy.

I'm not surprised you're having such a bad time after all you've been through.

The first twelve weeks of pregnancy have the worst symptoms. After that, most women find that the middle part of the pregnancy is just fine.

The last six weeks can be very uncomfortable, as well as boring, because you'll have stopped work and will have nothing to do except wonder what labour's going to be like.

Go and see a reflexologist if you'd like natural therapy. It works really well.

Hope this has helped.         love Tess x

• Posted

Tess,

Thank you for helping me ease some of my concerns. It has been a ride. 

I've stopped work from all that was spinning around me. It wasn't good for me. Learning to fill my days with preparation of what's to come and taking care of myself. 

A foot massage? Done! 

Thanks

• Posted

Blurry vision is fairly common with anxiety. mine went away with meds. I am not suggesting that for you. I mentioned it to make the point about blurry/wavy vision and anxiety. Literally, don't worry about that, Belle. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.