Debating calling vs waiting

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some background info:

My diagnoses are Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized anxiety.  

Meds are Wellbutrin 450 mg daily

Lamictal 200mg daily

Xanax as needed

Elavil 25 mg and Flexeril 5 mg daily for tension headaches

Over the last two months, I have been pretty much uncontrolled anxiety and depression wise.  At the beginning of the month I had a test for my job that caused a large amount of stress, so I figured that was my issue.  Now almost 3 weeks later I'm just feeling worse and worse.  Irritable, anxious, not wanting to get off the couch etc...

I've been at these doses for at least 6 months.  And before that Wellbutrin was only 300mg.  My next appt is in a month.  It costs me $250 out of pocket for each visit so I'm hesitant to move my appt up.  

My question is this.  How long a period of time of worsening symptoms until you think your meds are just not working anymore?  I'm so tired of constantly adjusting meds and doses. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Generally, for psychiatric drugs, 6 months is more than enough to tell if the meds are working or not. However, you should consider other factors, like the test for your job, which may affect your condition. And given the fact that you are taking a few meds together, it's not easy to evaluate their effects and to adjust the doses. 

I suggest you can wait for your appointment next month. Meanwhile, you may try to learn some relaxing techniques. If you already learn some and find them useless, I suggest you try this one (http:// bit. ly/2kZ3NBr). It has the best scientific evidence up to date and many of my patients find it very useful. 

• Posted

ME TOO!! I am so tired of having my meds adjusted and nothing is working. I just want to feel better...like my old self again. I am tired of going to work and then going to bed, but that is all I can manage right now. I so understand your frustration. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.