Decisions.. Decisions

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi al!

I told my GYN that lately when I ovulate I experience pain. So she immediately ordered an ultrasound which I had on March 17th. The results showed that I had multiple fibroids in my uterus. When I went back for my follow up I told my doctor I wanted a hysterectomy. He said that my fibroids aren't very large and for someone my age they don't really recommend a hysterectomy as a first line of treatment. He recommended a hormonal treatment i.e., birth control. His first recommendation was the Mirena implant. I don't like the idea of anything being inserted because I have heard how much complications those types of things can cause. He also mentioned getting the depo shot or Lupron shot. But the only way I would be a candidate for the Lupron shots was if I was indeed going through perimenopause. So he drew some blood to test my LH and FSH. I got the results back from that yesterday which were all within normal limits. When I go back to see him I'm going to ask him if I can just get on the mini pill. I know he may try to insist on the Mirena implant but the only thing that will do is stop the heavy bleeding it doesn't really address the issues of the fibroids themselves. I don't want to do a depo shot because all the side effects that are associated with it. So I figured the least problematic form of treatment for me would be the mini pill.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What symptoms are you geting from the fibroids apart from pain? And how bad is that pain? I mean, is it something that just taking painkillers at the relevant time can address? If your doctor doesn't think that the fibroids need removing, a hysterectomy does sound a bit drastic. Have you tried ibuprofen for the pain?
    • Posted

I am very sensitive to pain. So for me to mention it to the doctor it was very uncomfortable. My bleeding has become heavier and pain has increased with ovulation. I now have menstrual cramps when I haven't had them for six years. I believe it is due to the fibroids.
  • Posted

Hi Shar

oh sorry to hear that..

i had issues with endometriosis in my thirties and had laser and all okay after.

they said it wouldnt be and suggested a hyster but i said no, so i was pleased ididn't, as the laser surgery worked 100%.  

also had cysts before peri kicked in  but they too sorted themselves out .

but... Think about Depo provera injection, i agree with bad side effects, as i had this twice before peri kicked in, ( three months apart) only had two in total, they caused me hell on earth, bled for 21 months after .. Suppose to stop periods, but some ladies never stop like me 😞 opposite effect.. 

i agree with you, think i would opt for mini pill too in tis situation..

good luck hun

big hugs coming your way 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay!

How have you been? Thanks for the reply. I will let you know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi Sarcerv

You don't mention your age:  we're all oldies and obsessed by it on this forum!!

When my sister was in her mid-40s she had a procedures to help with her fibroids/excessive bleeding.  I believe it was called a Uterine Ablation.  This was extremely successful for her as her bleeding almost stopped from then on in. She's now 62, been on HRT for 7yrs. 

I don't know if this is something that might help you?  Maybe have a read about it before you discuss it with your Doctor??

I suppose the Mirena has been suggested because it releases hormones. Those I have known who have had one inserted either didn't have a bleed at all (result!) or were put off by the spotting. That person had it removed only to go back to horrible heavy periods:  she really regretted having it removed.

Have a read about the UA. Of course it carries risks, as with any surgery, but for those I've known who have had it, it's been highly successful.

Sx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I am 41. I would like to try the mini pill. If I can avoid another surgery I will. I scar easily and after surgeries I have a lot of scar tissue which causes pain too.
  • Posted

Hi there. I think your idea of going on the mini-Pill sounds a really good idea.

Fibroids are a really really common situation for women, I have masses of them (and masses of blood every month!).  As far as I know, there is no solution to them besides Uterine Ablation or a hysterectomy (personally I think Uterine Ablation sounds wonderful). 

I am really sensitive to pain too. I use anti-depressants for depression, but it helps with the sensitivity issues too. Also, I learned that low iron will REALLY aggravate the sensitivity to pain. So good luck with the mini-pill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.