decisions decisions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there

I have seen Gynae consultant who has told me I have a 16 week uterine mass, I hate that word mass being an admin assistant for 2 G.P's , they have to call it that until it's out and they have tested it, they are never to sure what it is. I have been given the choice of Embolisation or Hysterectomy to be honest I don't want either, but being 46 and as there is a very strong link that you mimic your mum when it comes to menopause I have another 10 years of symptoms and ever growing fibroids I really should consider one would love to know your thoughts, also as I have had 3 caesarreans there could be a lot of complications due to scar tissue. I would love to here your thoughts.

Thanks from a very nervous lady.

1 like, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Wow - so quick!! So you don't need more tests or scans? I'm seeing my dr on Thursday and I'm very nervous after scan said mine is 12cm and I'm 41. I think if I was you I would avoid a hysterectomy if you can - I know it's hard as we want it over. But 46 is still young. Will they try to shrink it with injections? Good luck x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there

I had a scan that picked up all the fibroids, the embolisation doesn't sound very nice you have to stay awake for the procedure they insert like a catheter up through your groin squirt dye in to locate fibroids then they inject through your belly into fibroids which cuts of blood supply, but this doesn't stop others growing as they feed on blood supply and hormones. And a lot of women go onto having a hysterectomy anyway. At least with hysterectomy your knocked out also with both procedures I would be in hospital for 4 days and off work for 6 weeks.

Thanks for your reply

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I am 47 and I was told the same 7 months ago, it is fritening as we always jump to worst case scenario. Had to have a biopsy and he took it out. Mine turned out to be a large polyp that the lining of the womb had attached to making it look huge. My symptoms were constant extemely heavy bleeding. I also have multiple fibroids. I couldnt have the ablation so my options were to have a Hysterectomy or mirena coil. Being a coward I opted to try the mirena and after 7 months things are OK. I cannot stop you worrying that is human nature but try to tell yourself that it could be nothing as well. Let us know how you get on.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm not sure of the answer Hun but I may be facing the same dilemma ,deep down I don't really want a hysterectomy as its a big operation but I hate having something inside me that shouldn't be there me personally I think I would go for the hysterectomy then there's closure but I haven't been give that choice yet and also I don't have the problem of scar tissue ,has the gyno told you there may be complications or is that what your thinking x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi there

He has told me there could be complications as I will have a lot of scar tissue from caesarreans my bowel and bladder could be stuck to uterus I know they have to tell you worst case cenario, but there is a lot to think about. x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had the very same problem and I refused hysterectomy due to the terrible side effects and I also felt that it was humiliating to me as a woman. I did not feel comfortable with embolisation either. I changed doctors a few times and then I found one who put me on Esmya. After three Esmya treatments the fibroids have shrunk down to basically nothing (and they were huge and several) and seem to stay that way. After the first two treatments they regrow, but this time is different. Ask your doctor for Esmya! Good luck!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Very Nervous Lady,

I am sorry you feel this way. I totally get it.

Here is some news for you. You could still have a hysterectomy and keep your ovaries. This is what they are doing with me, because I am only 42 and she feels no need to take them.

This is an option and you might think it's a good one, I don't know. I am sure they will test you and see how you are and let you know. Ask questions as many as you need to so you are comfortable.

Please keep me posted with what you decide. I'll be thinking about you!!

Take care, smile

Debbie

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sounds like Mum is a Brit? Mine is :-) Manchester, England. I am like you, my mother was in her late fifties and finally got a hysterectomy or she would have bled to death. I cancelled my date for embolism treatment bc I read about black strap molassis and apple cider vinegar taken every day. It takes a while but I do know one person who has had success from it on this site. Check it out- I am hoping this will do the trick and am definitely giving it an honest attempt and have been taking 1 tblsp of each daily, at least, maybe more. Either way, if this doesn't work I am definitely taking the plunge. We may be around for a good long while dealing with this and I'm sure if your'e anything like me you find it exhausting and it's getting old. Good luck whatever you decide, keep in touch. Oh also, the BSM and cider V can't hurt either way, only helpful! Hang in there :-)
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your kind words I am from Stratford_upon_Avon in Warwickshire , I keep trying to ignore it and think it will go away but I know it won't. It wouldn't be so bad if I thought I could have keyhole surgery but as I've had 3 caesarreans I can't. I wa
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was also told that they would probably cut me from belly button down, I already have a nasty thick scar from having kids last one being 20 years ago. I will look mutilated with a big cross on my belly sad xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Get that coconut oil out and start rubbing. I would make my own concoction of jojoba and coconut (all pure) vitamin e, vitamin A with retinol which you can get for about 10.00 on ebay and it's organic. I would apply it as often as I felt necessary. Just my thoughts, doesn't hurt to try. :-)
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I am the same age as you and have just had a comparable size fibroid removed after 3 months on Esmya ( contolled the horrific beeding but didn't shrink the fibroid).

I had a TCRF procedure to remove the fibroid via my cervix as my hospital has an excellent reputation for this procedure, although mine was classed as borderline sizewise.

I just hope I don't get a recurrence but at least know the symptoms now.

I hope you find a treatment that suits you - and that you recover well.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up