Decisions, decisions- anyone been in the same situation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Girls.

Well, I am completely unsure what to do....

I have a substantial 15cm fibroid with a couple of smaller ones.

My gynae tells me that my fibroid is pressing on my ureters and causing mild swelling/back pressure on both my kidneys.

I thought I wanted to explore a UAEmbolisation, but reading the info sheet now not sure....I must admit to being scared .Plus the embolisation apparently shrinks the fibroids by a max of 50%, which would still mean my fibroid would be fairly big?

I also feel a little worried about if my kidneys get any bigger..

So then thought OK, maybe i should go for the hysterectomy, but I am 41 and worried by the fact that it says 1 in 3 ladies still get early menopause even if they leave the ovaries with hysterectomy.

My gynae has arranged another ultrasound scan of kidneys,fibroids etc.

He has said that uae or hysto........it is really up to me.....

But I just don't know......please help? I feel lost!

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I sympathise - my fibroid is about the same and also issues with back ache and kidney trouble. I have opted for hysterectomy which I am having in a fortnight - all being well keyhole having had decapeptyl injections to shrink the fibroid. I know I will go in to full blown menopause but I figure for me its the less of two evils and HRT is always an option. Only difference is I am 51. I think you need to decide whether having an early menopause is a problem for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Amanda 46342,

I don't want to complicate the issue but my fibroid was larger than 15cm and was causing pressure problems and had a myomectomy last May at age 49. I did have to find a surgeon to undertake it privately mind you but if you are only young it might be worth getting another opinion to avoid a hysterectomy. I haven't looked back since the op. The only thing that might be an issue is that if you are young there is a risk of further fibroids developing, maybe that is why they are suggesting hysterectomy?

• Posted

Hi I asked about keyhole for my 6cm and they said it couldn't be done but of how much fibroids bleed and the consultant doing my op in June doesn't do that procedure so I would of had to go back for another referal.

I didn't like the sound of embolization being done during an MRI and I felt that if the fibroids stay inside and deteriorate when the blood supply is stopped, what problems would that cause. The consultant did say it could cause pain for some months so I decided on the hysterectomy to try and solve my whole problem.

• Posted

Thanks Girls,

Its really helpful hearing your stories..

Think i will have to think about it some more..

thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi amanda,

I have heard of surgeons removing massive firbroids through myomectomy. I really feel that it may be a better option for you than a hysto.

If you can, try to get other opinions. I have 6 firbroids-  have been to about 6 different gynaes, and in the end i opted for myo which is scheduled for june, but with GNRH to shrink beforehand. maybe try that? Also the GNRH is meant to give you a taste of what menopause is like.....

Good luck to you hun & hugs

• Posted

Hi Amanda I know exactly how you feel. I have just had my fibroids removed I had a myomectomy I'm 40years old and haven't any children yet. The surgery went really well my largest Fibroid was 16cm and they took out 5 in the end. Due to the size of my Fibroids Embolisation was not an option because it would cause infection and be a very high risk. I was told by the radiologist that they only like to do that on small fibroids up to 6cm.

I'm so glad I had them out they are such a burden and I feel so much better for it. I had an excellent surgeon also. So good luck I hope it goes well for you feel free to contact me if you want to ask me anything else but I hope this was helpful for you x

• Posted

HI donna.

I am so happy for you that you have conquered these nasty things called fibroids.

Do you mind sharing your story? Did you have to take GNRH analogues or did you go in without?

Did you have open or keyhole?

which hospital did you go to? was it nhs

i have mine scheduled for june and i am a little anxious as read all sorts of scary stuff on the internet! thank you!

• Posted

Hi Missy,

Yes they are nasty things but I'm happy to share.

I had the injection Zoladex which was an implant injected in my stomach monthly. I had 4 of those before my operation which was on 19th March. They gave me menopausal symtoms I.e hot sweats and no periods etc.

Because of the size of them I had to have open surgery which has healed really well and the nurse at the surgery said that it will not be visible in six months. My Surgeon and gynaecologist is Doctor Saha at Heartlands Hospital in Birmingham. He respects women a is very caring which is so hard to find these days. Yes NHS.

My advice to you stay off the internet because I did that and it is scary it is normal to feel anxious but remember these are very common in women. Make sure you get all the facts from the professionals but ultimately its your decision and your body. I hope this helps and all the best for June. X

• Posted

Hi Donna

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided hysterectomy is the choice for me, I am lucky as I already have two fantastic boys.

I did look into embolisation but decided against it, due to the size of my largest fibroid (also didn't like the sound of it).

So I'll be getting my surgery in September hopefully.Just got to have some Esmya tablets for 3 months before surgery.

So just hope it all goes OK.....

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Donna

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided hysterectomy is the choice for me, I am lucky as I already have two fantastic boys.

I did look into embolisation but decided against it, due to the size of my largest fibroid (also didn't like the sound of it).

So I'll be getting my surgery in September hopefully.Just got to have some Esmya tablets for 3 months before surgery.

So just hope it all goes OK.....

Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I am 44 years old and had an ultrasound in febuary which showed two massive substantial fibroids one 11-9cm and the other 13-8cm.

i was referred to a gynae who sent me for an mri which showed at least another futher 7 fibroids smaller than the two i knew off.

My gynae sighned me for an open Myomectomy, no blood test and didn't want to explain the op to me.

I asked my doctor for a second opinion and she is lovely and has explained everything and sent me for blood tests.

If the bloods come back that i am menopausal then i can go forward for an embolisation to shrink the fibriods.

if im not then a open mymectomy or hysterectomy is my only option.

My gynae mantioned esmya tablet which help shrink the fibroids but this is expencive and my doctor is not keen to give me this as it costs £100 a week.

maybe this is something you can look into.

Like you my gynae has told me i am to young for a hysterectomy but with an myomectomy the fibroids can grow back.

with these options as you say you go into early menopause, great!!!

It has effected my life in every was and i am in so much pain.

At the moment i just want them out of my ever growing tummy, which is huge! about 5-6 months pregnant.

i am scared and i too am not sure what to do???    xx

• Posted

Hiya.

I really sympathise with you... sometimes its crap being female!

I have made my decision and am comfortable with it.  I decided to go to hysterectomy.  Which is being performed in Sept. 

My doc has prescribed Esmya that I'll start soon. 

If your doc is reluctant to give Esmya what about the Gnrh injections...they do the same I think.  Although it really annoys me when docs fail to treat people with drugs cos they're too expensive  sad

My gynae wouldn't do myomectomy. And i wasn't keen on the uae option. 

Obviously I'm not looking forward to the surgery but I am looking forward to getting on with my life afterwards smile

I hope you can get sorted with something you feel comfortable with. 

Let me know how you get on. 

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.