Delayed side effects of Cipro andFlagyl.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Got out of bed yesterday morning and foot and leg almost gave out. Got better as the day progressed but comes and goes today after standing after sitting. Noticed my bicep is very sore also. Finished the drugs yesterday and still have pain in lower right abdommen. Is this all par for the course? Will it get worse before it gets better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am guessing you are in the USA because you talked about Flagyl and Cipro.  I have read in other posts about the severe side effects these drugs have, which can be long term.  One post in particular advised that the leaflet said that if you get limb pain you should immediately stop taking the medication and advise your doctor - I think you should do that immediately.  Something to also bear in mind, if you get a further attack and need more medication.  Antibiotics usually have some side effects which take time to leave the system and can leave you feeling under par for a few weeks anyway.  Also the drugs are powerful and strip out all bacteria - both good and bad.  Many people take a probiotic of some kind to help replace the good bacteria.  I'm UK based so don't know what's available in the USA but there are many posts on here which can advise you.

As for the pain, yes it can last for weeks or months.  The insides take time to heal from the infection/inflammation.  I went 10 months before I realised I was pain free, and to this day I get niggles if I eat something my insides don't like.  Some days are better than others, but the pain should slowly reduce.  If it gets worse, I suggest you go back on the liquid diet, then bland without fiber, before slowly returning to your usual diet.  If that doesn't help, then back to the doctor in case you are having another flare up.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Reading your post has made me realise that after about six or maybe eight weeks still early days.

I had a few pain free days,think I over did the fibre ,also got a bit stessed as I am having a flexible Sigmoidoscopy on Saturday morning.

Think I am sorting my head out, doing some meditation and it is calming down.

What probiotic should I get.

Thanks for all your helpful posts.

• Posted

Hi Suzy

Yes it is easy to overdo the fibre - it should be soluble fibre, not insoluble.  Many people go all out on All-Bran which is actually quite harsh on the insides.  One poster has switched to Bran Flakes, which you can mix with a regular cereal like Cornflakes or Special K.  I personally have porridge - not the sachets but the proper oats, 40gm which I soak overnight in a MullerLight yogurt (about 150ml) then mix in fresh or frozen fruit.  I also have lots of blended soups and veggies which I cook well.  I peel my fruit as well. 

Also stress will trigger symptoms.  For most people the sigmoidoscopy is OK - they say the prep is worse and the procedure is just uncomfortable at times - it depends on what the problem is.  However each person is different and you don't know how it will be first time.  I have Diverticula, and one was in a difficult place so they could not complete the examination.  You'll find posts about both a colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy on this site, which can advise you about the prep.  Also I suggest you remember that people are less likely to post if they had no problems, which does give some bias to the comments. 

As for probiotics, I can't advise you (the moderator would block me), but there are lots of posts where people mention what probiotic they use.  I took a well known brand leader from a supermarket (found next to the cholesterol reducing drinks) for a few months until I was back to normal.  Best wishes for Saturday.

• Posted

Hi Felinia

Thank you so much for getting back to me .

I love porridge, but didn't think about soaking it in yoghurt will definitely give that a go.

Thanks for telling me the possibility of a difficult diverticulosis, now I know, if it happens I won't freak out.

I am taking a well known brand of probiotic, didn't know if this was enough, as my Daughter said I should be taking it in a higher dose in tablet form.

Having said that my Mum went on the same drink as me when she had C Difficile and she recover from it.

Thanks again, I am going for a long walk today,trying to stay busy.

• Posted

I was on Metronidazole, that made my legs sseem like they were belonging to someone else.

Also racing heart and high blood pressure. It did take some time to get out of my system .

And six weeks on still have pain some days.

Finding this site is a blessing, my family are very supportive, but talking to others,who are dealing with this.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am so thankful I found this discussion! Real life stories are the best source of info on what to expect. I over think every little twitch and can really get myself worked up mentally which in turn affects the gut. Thanks to all who replied, great help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.