Dental treatment

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi does anyone know how soon you can have dental treatment

after a tkr? I need to get my teeth,sorted and think I might have to

have some extractions. Has anyone had this done and when?x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan, I had a dental exam a few weeks before my op, as the dentist wanted to sort out any problems before I went into hospital. He did say that in future, I need to always tell any dentist I see that I've had a tkr. No idea how long you should wait, but it's probably best just to phone your dentist and ask. There are so many of us with tkr's out there, that you won't be his/her first.

Best of luck,

Denise from Oz

• Posted

I was told a minimum of 6 months, but if you have an infected tooth you need to get it sorted ASAP. I always take prophylactic  antibiotics prior to any dental cleaning etc,
  • Posted

It is so long ago that I had TKR 3 years now that I can't remember, sorry.

But I would think that it would be OK if you feel you would be comfortable in the dentists chair for that length of time. I would mention it to your dentist.

I think there is a scheme where they come and do the dentistry in your own home, you could check this out .

Hope your teeth and your knee settle down.

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

If you need extractions, you need antibiotic cover.  Cleans & fillings OK.  My surgeon prefers you to wait 6 mths before extractions if possible.
  • Posted

I was told yesterday by the physio that any infections, including tooth problems can go to the knee and cause inflamation.  I would suggest you phone the dentist and explain the problem to him and take his advice.
  • Posted

Teeth cleaning is one of the dirtiest procedures you can have done. I have antibiotic cover for all dental treatment including cleaning..
  • Posted

The only requirement is to let them know, and you take an antibiotic 1 hr before any work is done. I had to have one extracted about 6 weeks post op. I had a terrible time with a tooth and had no choice. I lost two two weeks before surgery and one since. All three were cracked! I don't know if it's coincidence or not. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Talk to both Dr and dentist. You will most likely need antibiotics before dental work the rest of your life as there is a correlation between oral bacteria and the attraction of it to the metal in the prosthesis. And as a guy who has and is fighting staph you don't want anything to do with it. I was always given 3 days of reflex before and 4 days after dental proceedures. Some even require it for cleaning.
    • Posted

Damn computer....it's Keflex. Not reflex......
  • Posted

It's interesting looking at the posts as my consultant advised me that antibiotics were not needed anymore when having dental treatment.. so not really sure now.
  • Posted

Just as a further update I have searched for this on the Web and looks as in many parts of the world the advice is changing. Looks like they are weighing up the dangers of giving too many antibiotics to people as a preventative against the likelihood of actually getting an infection and they seem to be of the view that you don't need to take them. Of course I always think it's best to have the discussion with yr consultant :-)
    • Posted

Hi Suzanne - i checked very directly with my dentist about this antibiotics question as i'm due to have major dental work (repair work to front bridge NOT looking forward to it at all!!) there's decay, not infection and have seen 2 (very experienced) dentists who are very clear that i don't need antibiotics so guess there'sbeen a change in thinking on this one. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.