Dental work

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good morning,

I am going on 6 months from my TKR. I had a crown break and the dentist said he has to pull the teeth because it cannot be saved. I am scared to have it pulled because my knee is not completely healed. The dentist said I will be okay as long as I take the antibiotics. Had anyone else had to have dental work before their knee or knees healed?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Take the antibiotics as your doc says. You should be good. He has me taking them also for just a cleaning by the dentist. It will be okay. Good luck and happy healing.
  • Posted

Its normal procedure to put you on antibiotics before any dental work after any major surgery, its all to do with dotting the i s and crossing the t s.

Don't worry as they will be extra careful with you and so long as you do as your told things will be absolutely fine

• Posted

I was on antibiotics after my first knee replacement for about 5 years before any dental work was done, including a cleaning. After that those my doctor and dentist felt I no longer needed the antibiotics. Thanks for the reminder as I have a dental appointment coming up and I'm 3 months post-op from my most recent TKR!

• Posted

The doc is probably right on. A lot of discussion has gone on regarding this, my doc says always, antibiotics the rest of my life .
    • Posted

Mine too Oldfatguy1, couldn't you have picked a better username?  LOL.  I just always feel weird and uncomfortable calling you that.  LOL

• Posted

Don't be concerned....besides you're half a world away, no personal harm can come your way.

That's my standard answers

When people ask howcim doing. I say "great, old, fat and poor"

• Posted

Varies from country to country, in UK no antibiotics are given for routine dental work after knee replacement, However an extraction is very much more invasive, so I imagine UK dentists would give them for that...I would be interested if anyone in UK has first hand knowledge regarding tooth extraction after knee replacement as practice currently stands in UK...don't worry, it will be fine ..dentist has told you. Long term good oral hygiene will be of more significance most likely....keep cleaning, flossing, and regular trips to dentist as needs be. I am a qualified dental nurse...have not been working in the field as went on to a teaching career later on, hence my interest in different countries policies and extraction!

• Posted

Thank you Jenny, I feel better after hearing from you guys.
  • Posted

I have a post buried some on this a while ago.

It used to be common practice for dentists to prescribe 2g Keflex an hour or two before dental work for anyone with joint replacements within the past year...some dentists did two years.  However...

The 2015 guidelines from the American Dental Association now state that NO antibiotics are required...none, zero, zilch, nada.  They only recommend them in cases where the patient has a heart condition and then only in consultation with the patient's doctor.

This is from the ADA...

In patients with prosthetic joint implants, a January 2015 ADA clinical practice guideline, based on a 2014 systematic review states, “In general, for patients with prosthetic joint implants, prophylactic antibiotics are not recommended prior to dental procedures to prevent prosthetic joint infection.”

See?  No worries...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.