Dentist had to stop root canal - mouth was numbed, but drilling still hurt!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a root canal treatment a few weeks ago, in the upper-right of my mouth. All went fine (apart from it being the most uncomfortable experience of my life). Went back today for another one in the lower-left of my mouth - this was left second as it apparently wasn't as bad/urgent as the last.

The dentist numbed the left of my mouth, and while the numbing was working he did a bit of general cleaning. I could feel it, and right at the last part of the cleaning, in a lower-left tooth, I felt a pain, although just disregarded it.

Dentist started scraping or picking or whatever they do at the tooth due root canal. I could feel the sensation, but it didn't exactly hurt. Then they began drilling. Again, I could only feel the sensation, but after a few short moments it did begin to hurt and my hand shot up!

They gave me a second numbing jag that worked almost instantly. The dentist began poking and whatnot around the tooth with, "Can you feel this?" and "Can you feel that?" I honestly couldn't feel a thing, so I was thinking it had worked and I was going to be fine.

Drilling started again. Managed to last a few moments longer than last time, but soon enough - ouch! Hurt again. I did say that I was already in the chair, so just for them to keep going; but they were adamant I don't live through pain. So after I had to throw my hand up a third time, they stopped, packed the tooth, and that was it.

Apparently, the stage the tooth is at, this is "quite normal." It's a molar, so they suspect maybe 2/3 roots have died but one is still alive.

My fear is though, when I eventually have to go back to get it done, won't it still hurt?! The plan is to leave it for a couple of weeks, but how will we know if the tooth is completely 'dead'? What if I go back and it hurts just as bad? This dentist doesn't do sedation, so mouth numbing is as good as it gets...

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I am also terrified of the dentist. Before the last root canal that I mentioned, I hadn't been in 5+ years because it is my biggest phobia. I hate it. Likely why this experience has me so scared again!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So hopefully it'll work next time.

If not two options:

1. They refer you to MaxFax in hospital and they do it under GA.

2. Extraction

• Posted

I can relate ! I posted a question yesterday - related to a "twitch" that I have gotten from - when I scheduled a cleaning - they said I needed "oral surgery cleaning" ! 12 SHOTS ! And, over 2 weeks later I am still in pain !!! And, that was for only 1/2 of my mouth ! The next session is scheduled for after Thanksgiving ... for sedation - that they felt it would be best to be put under rather than the # of shots they had to give; along w/ the "gas" ! But, now, I have this "twitch" ! And, it was 2 weeks before the pain of what felt like a "needle" in my nostril finally went away ! I am thinking nerve damage !  And, yes, not only the $$$$  ($7,500 they have planned for me!) ... the PAIN IS MASSIVE ! My teeth were not even hurting before I went to the dentist ! Been in constant pain ever since !  ... & I am NOT a wimp !!!! AT ALL !!!  My body can take a beating - but, not my mouth !  

• Posted

That really sounds bad & I am sure it did not help with your dental phobia at all - I am sorry it went this way. I can only relate in as far as a normal filling - they put in at least 3-4 shots because the pain was so bad (a molar too ofc & a deep filling) but it didn't help at all..I could feel the drilling & the pain - so I sat there with tears streaming down my face from the pain & told them to just get it over with, hoping it will be done fast at least...but it took a while, ofc. They were so sweet & eventually it was done. I have no idea why shots don't seem to work sometimes - it is weird. I have had fillings replaced since in other teeth & never had the same problem again & I hope the filling in this particualr tooth still last a while. ^^

I guess nobody can tell you for sure that it won't hurt the next time - so maybe look into options to have it done somewhere else where they offer sedations, just to be safe?

I hope all goes well. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.