Depersonalization?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, ive been suffering with SEVERE anxiety for a few months now and yesterday i started feeling like i wasnt in my own body? Like my mind and body are detached? Im freaking out about this because i feel so wierd right now.... is this common when anxiety gets out of hand? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I suffer from severe anxiety as well. Although I have not experienced what you're descibring I've heard of it before. If you have not already, you should try CBT, I've heard that it can help as long as you work at it and otherwise, with anxiety I find that keeping myself busy helps to lessen it so that it is manageable and able to be worked on. Definitely check out a therapist or psychologist it can be very helpful. I have read that prolonged anxiety could go hand-in-hand with depersonalization but it is able to be treated so maybe try to relax and keep focused on something other than your anxiety and try to stay in a positive mind-set. To stay positive imagine anything that has given you peace before. For me I think of the daytime and sun and birds, cliche I know but sometimes it's able to help. Try this as well as seeing someone it will get better you just have to work at it.

• Posted

Hi! I have suffered from anxiety since I was 13. I am now 41, so I have had some experience for sure. I've experienced what you are describing many times before, I can assure you it's anxiety. However, having said that it's always a great idea to check with your Doctor. What set it off for me was sweet cakes and Mtn Dew and lots of them, not to mention I wasn't burning all the energy it created. Believe me, you are not alone in this one for sure. I also had an eye migraine once that caused me to go full panic mode. No pain at all, but a kaleidoscope effect in my eye with all the colors.. May be too much caffeine and sugar. Cut those out (if thats your diet type) and you may notice a difference. Given, I think I have a touch of OCD, so trying to stop thinking about it is something I can personally never say, but I do try to practice. Your mind is very powerful and alone and anxiety do not go hand in hand. Call a friend or go eat or bowling. Something to take your mind off the situation. At least next time you will be better armed. I've had therapy and drugs (prescription) to no avail and I still have anxiety most days, but everyone is different. Some hang on to it and some can shake it. Gotta let it go.. Hope this helps.

• Posted

It is a normal part of anxiety. I was told it's because your brain is tired, which would mean certain things you consume or your thoughts? I still deal with it, but it's getting better. Slowly, but surely. I drink water, and I just recently quit smoking. So it's helpful to stop or cutback on habits that may tire it.

• Posted

Honestly, I'm not taking anything but I have been looking into it. I have several friend who are on medication because of their anxiety disorders, but I am going through a rough patch at moment. I'm still holding on and learning to accept it, though! Feel free to message me about what you're dealing with if you want!

• Posted

Hello i had depression then it lead to anxiaty! I had really bad depersonalization were i got to a point of not recognizing my parents for a few minutes i was really bad I was freaking out i was thinking i was going crazy and loosing my mind! I just wanted to feel my self again. But thank god i had medical help when i told my symptoms to my dr he didnt seem to be surprised or anything this is a common symptom of anxiaty. I been on Venlatafaxine 75 mg for 7 weeks and i am starting to see the end of this dark tunnel even though i still wake up wth very light dpr is still there! Go see your dr and tell them your symptoms soo they can prescribe medications. I been going to the gym and for walks too they really help lower my depersonalization alot and it keeps me calm.. DPR is harmless you will be ok its just a slow process for recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.