Depersonalization Disorder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone suffers with Depersonalization Disorder which is an anxiety problem and how they tend to cope with it. I dont think many people may have even heard of Depersinalization but it can be a common thing with people who suffer with anxiety problems and others can get it through temperolobe epilepsy like myself. After iv suffered a sezuire I wake up feeling very detactched from reality, very full of anxiety and bad nerves. Its like being in a bad dream but while being awake at the same time. Or that part of your body is missing and gone elsewhere. The feeling can go on for hours and you sometimes feel like your going crazy and have lost your marbles. Im not as bad as I use to be, but I still tend to suffer with it from time to time only after a sezuire. My consultants who deal with this anxiety disorder couldnt decide whether I had some mental health problem like manic depression or whether this was only to do with my epilepsy. I had to have many tests done and in the end they found out that mine is only caused by having temperlobe epilepsy as there is 42 different types of sezuires in epilepsy. I have heard people who smoke canabbis have suffered a lot with depersonalization too and they have ended up having to live with it for many years after. (A big reason why I will never smoke weed)!!! Has anyone else ever suffered with this kind of anxiety problem before?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I suffer from depersonalization. I was posting about it on this board as it makes you feel like you are detached from everything, it's very frightening and I feel like I am going mad.

I did have it very badly years ago for months. I have had it again recently and it has been really horrible.I felt like I was going mad and would never come back to my senses again. After reading a lot about it I now know I am not gong mad, it is just anxiety. I hope this is of some help, I had a terribel moment of it recently whilst talking to someone, I wanted to run away or tell them I didn't feel right etc, but instead I told myself 'this will pass, it's just anxiety' and it did! I concentrated on the conversation, asked her questions, focused and took control and it seemed to work. I think just knowing you are not going mad and it is just anxiety/adrenaline really helps.

I hope this has helped you. By the way I have also heard it refered to as 'Alice in Wonderland' syndrome.

• Posted

Yes its helped a lot thanks littlesparrow. My DP was terrible if not worse a few years back when my sezuires where out of control. My doctors didnt have a clue how to deal with me or what medications I should have been on because certain drugs for DP can interact with epileptic drugs and cause more sezuires. Even though my sezuire are much lesser and milder there thinking the only way they can help me now is go for some type of brain surgery and remove the part in my brain which is affected and causes me to have sezuires. Yes I am quite scared to have that done, but at the same time. DP has really affected my life in many ways. I lost a lot of weight over the years having to cope with it and most nights I coulnt sleep when my mind was in that state. But without sleep, that can cause more sezuires too. So i think its best I have the brain surgery done and fingers cross I can come of all of these epileptic drugs which will stop me having sezuires and of course no more DP. I usually take diazipam when my mind is suffering with DP and it does help in some way. But im like a nervous wreck other then that. Many people out there havent a clue how back DP can be and anyone who smokes weed. Well if they ever started to suffer with DP. It would put them of for like smoking that stuff
    • Posted

Sorry bad spelling mistake. It would put people of for life smoking weed if they started to suffer with DP after
  • Posted

Hi Wanda, do you have anyone to talk to at the moment, to help you get through? Do you do any relaxation classes?
    • Posted

No not really. Im so use to dealing with it all on my own as iv had to for 10 years now but im very lucky that its not as bad as it use to be over 5 years ago
  • Posted

It really helps to talk Wanda. Have you tried your local Mind group? I remember going to a CBT group once, and what really helped was knowing that other people of all different backgrounds were going through the same thing. Saying that, I did go to a drop in once and I really didn't like it. But their classes and one to one sessions really helped me.
  • Posted

I too suffer with this, well at least I think it's this. I get random moments when I just zone out and nothing seems real, like I'm in a dream, and all of my emotions just disappear. I hate it so much. I've been to the doctors many times and they can't fun anything wrong, so they have referred me to cbt. Thinking back, could weed cause you mental problems even if you only did it three times? I don't do it anymore an never will do it again , but this could be the cause of my problems rolleyes 
    • Posted

Depersonalization is just another way we experience a panic attack. It's horrible, but just tell yourself it will pass as it's just anxiety. Do you notice your heart goiing faster when it's happening, I do - it's terrifying,but it is anxiety, you are not going mad and it's not because you smoked ages ago. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.