Depressed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have just quit a job that I hated, I thought I'd feel brilliant, but I feel awful. I'm so sad and empty after such an awful year. I struggle so much to keep my mood elevated. I worry that no one will ever love me because I'm always depressed. 

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Please don't be disheartened, I was out of work for 2 years, then this last year I have had 5 jobs, and unable to hold even a basic job. I have came to the conclusion that employment doesn't always help with your recovery from depression, it has certainly hindered my progress this year but things will get better for you.

Try to stay positive, and if you truly believe things will get better, they will. Never give up on your battle with this destructive illness.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Vicky,

You don't need 6 months in a mental home, ideally you need at least 2 months off work to focus on recovery of your health.

I've been off work for 6 weeks, and my fit note covers me until end of January so my realistically giving myself another 2 months to get the antidepressants out of my system.

Try to put your mental health recovery before everything else, otherwise employment and distractions will only delay your recovery.

Take care

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Vicky please dont be to hard on yourself im sure with.the right help you will get through this ! Firstly go to your doctor and explain how you are feeling and get the help you need dont be worried as it might seem like it but your not alone and you can get better ! I myself have had depression for a number of years which with my doctors help ive got to the stage were i can function well enough to return to my job ! Regards yourself what about part time a few hours s day to see if you can cope ! I wish you well and please let me know how you get on david x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

All normal for desression. I've had it for 20years, know how you are feeling. Tried 5 SSRI now trying a NASSA. Keep posting on here it helps chatting to other sufferers. Ask to be refered to a psychiatrist if your meds aren't working. GPs just use the most popular ones on the market & they don't always work. Virtual hug.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

People will love you for who you are.  Depression does diminish our self esteem so that is what your worry is.  I often feel I don't like myself so how can others like me?  It is an illness where we do find fault with so much.

Hopefully these feelings will pass.  We all understand how you are feeling.  Have you been diagnosed with the illness depression, or do you think you are just "down" because of the awful year you have had.  It may pass, if not, see a doctor and tell them how you feel.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Vicky. I know that words cannot help you much right now. If you are very depressed there is very little that can be done to lift up instantly. Are you in any therapy? If therapy alone doesn't help it is important you keep on searching for right antidepressants. You will get your life on track, just hold on. And for you worrying about nobody ever loving you, just see how many posts are there from people who actually ask about advice on their depressed partners. I am pretty open with my illness and often I am surprised how supportive people can be. I still don't have my condition under control but my partner has been patient for over 6 years now. I am just saying this for you to realize that there are loving, understanding people out there and that everyone has something to offer, something to fall in love with. Please, let us know on the progress of your treatment. We all go through similar struggles and can learn from each other. xx, Syl
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi vicky i wish you all the best but. A note of caution be wary of scare stories about treatments available as yes like any.medication you can get side effects but.many people can and do get better ! Always go with what your doctor gives you as he is best placed to help you avoid taking herbal remedies like st john wort.as it can affect.certain types of.medicines ! Please go back to your doctor and i hope you get better soon !.david.x
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up