Depressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

After months of this DD thought I'd seen the end of it. But why do I have the majority of the time blood/ mucus it's there when I wipe....just getting me down is what it's supposed to be like for the rest of my life ? Trying everything . CBD OIL Slippery Elm. Probiotics. What else ????

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know about the blood but mucus for me was a food intolerence. Mine was peanuts. Ate peanuts all my life then boom mucus everywhere. It took me a long time to figure it out. My food diary helped a lot. Start with your diary and look at what you ate the 2 days before.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Do you have any pain at all?

• Posted

No pain. Dull left leg ache that's getting me down with the back pain.

• Posted

Well, all I can say is that I get blood and mucus a lot of the time and have done for over 5 years. I also have the backache and an ache down the front of my left leg. I don't always get abdominal pain. I had biopsies done in July that ruled out inflammation and the consultant said it was due to my DD. This confuses me as I had always believed blood mixed with mucus was caused by the inflamed area during diverticulitis flare.

It's possible that you are still recovering from your last bout and , over time, the blood/mucus will go away.

• Posted

Nope! I have never had to have antibiotics as I have, so far, never had infection with a high temp. It's been inflammation only. The pain has been severe at times but it can also be a nagging low abdominal pain that will last anything from 12 hours to 3 days. I will always get blood and mucus when I have this pain.

I also get cramping after meals which I put down to symtomatic diverticulosis as this will last 2 to 8 hours and I have had this frequently over the last 5 years. However, since I changed my diet to low insoluble fibre and high soluble fibre and no longer eat skins or seeds, wholegrains or corn and keep veggies soft, I have been mostly painfree for over 5 months! I occasionally see the blood mucus still and get the odd twinge in my left side and maybe occasional cramping on waking in the morning. But so far so good as far as the pain is concerned.

I had a really bad flare back in April and it took a good 6 weeks to really get over it and the pains to subside. Again, no antibiotics as no infection but the inflammation affected my bladder and pelvic floor and left leg...horrible.

• Posted

I have dealt with dd since October of 2016 when I was hospitalized for 3 days and have had quite a few flareups since then, I usually am able to resolve them by going on a liquid diet for a day or two and then a low fiber diet for the next week or so. I have always struggled with whether to begin antibiotics or not because they can make you feel so lousy and my flares have not been accompanied by fever. I have heard of successful surgical procedures by people who are known to me and at this point feel it may be a wise decision instead of dealing with this disease that has greatly impaired my quality of life.

• Posted

When you have had those bad pains and blood and mucos did you go in and have blood work just to check? Do you get naseated? What test have you had to diagnose yours? This morning with I wipe I had soft bowels maybe mucos it scared me so bad I just cleaned up have you or anyone else on here occ assional had it to seep out without you pushing / trying and not passed gas? It just came out, I first had normal bowel movement it happened shorlty after that. I get panic and anxiety attacks when I see this happening . It was mushie not water dirreah sorry for graphics This disease is really hard to deal with.

• Posted

This is the thing with DD, you never know when it will flare up. I think it's wise to see your GP if the pains are bad and definitely if you have a temp. It certainly affects ones quality of life even when feeling well. I am working hard on not letting it get the better of me and trying to get out more and not focus on this awful condition. I'm feeling much better avoiding insoluble fibre...of course, I can't avoid it all as it is in all fruits and veg but I peel them all and cook veg well. I avoid seeds and nuts and any fruits with tiny seeds...strawberries, blueberries etc.. I have actually been free from pain, other than a few niggles, for 5 months and, before changing to this diet, was having almost daily pain for 5 years.

• Posted

I originally went to the GP because of the pains and the blood and mucus. I had a colonoscopy and that diagnosed DD. One year on I had another colonoscopy and biopsies which showed no inflammation but severe DD with narrowing.

It sounds like loose stool with you. That can be caused by diet, too, but you can also have mucus alone with diverticulosis. If you are having pain with this it could be the DD. See your GP to calm your fears as it is so easy to feel anxious with this disease.

• Posted

Gloria, good question I have found that all these things like CBD Oil and Slippery Elm and probiotics ect, is only winners for those who sell them! They make money off of us who suffer and would give anything for healing and relief ! NONE works for me either and I think NOTHING does I can eat exactly what I was told to eat and NOT eat any so called bad foods and STILL I get the infection the blood/mucus! Most likely the only cure is surgery to remove the blasted pockets that keep getting infected and that too is with risk and may even cause more surgery until we have nothing left! I too am depressed about this mess and my massive amounts of antibiotics its a never ending cycle! A disease is just that meaning we will forever have to deal with it ! If I was you I would follow your gut feeling and maybe a food dairy and for sure lots of water and liquids and maybe on bad days just drink water/ensure plus and mash potatoes and so forth! My GI doctor told me that also I could have colisis sp? which also causes the blood/mucous I deal with the same issues as you. I eat plain yogurt instead of the pill because plain yogurt also gives me 22 gram of protien which we need to heal. I drink pineapple juice which also helps tissues to heal. What does your GI tell you? Have you had the coloscopy?

• Posted

Hi crosado8 . As I was so DOWN yesterday I had quite a bit of alcohol..guess what !! More blood and mucus than ever. Don't know what to do. Eat drink take. I'm at a loss. It's when I poo....Sorry to be graphic. But I know you will understand x

• Posted

Gloria, I'm so sorry that you are feeling so low....I know the feeling! You will get better but it just doesn't seem like that at the moment.

Alcohol is very dehydrating.This could be a reason for seeing more blood and mucus. Make sure you drink a few extra glasses of water or more cups of tea, etc.. to make up for the lost fluid. Drink some water before going to bed if you have had alcohol in the evening.

It does sound as though you have some ongoing inflammation after your last flare and this can take a long time to settle. Keep a check on your temp and if it is raised go and see your GP.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm always HOT but I get more shivvery these days. I'm overweight hence SW. scheduled to have knee replacement Jan 5 Not Looking forward to that. Hope this DD doesn't cause a prob. I will ask at my pre assessment on Wednesday. Oh the joys of getting old thought I was a young 69.....😥

• Posted

What kind of alcohol I mean less strong stuff like wine or beer? Have you ever been diagnosed properly for DD Infection or have you ever had the infection and given antibiotics?

• Posted

If you feel shivery then this could be due to a raised temp. Make sure you check it.

• Posted

Yes I've had the colonoscopy done and biopsy. Shows DD in defending sigmoid?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.