Depressed,Alone and A Phobia of Doctors

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi, I'm 43. I feel so depressed and very much alone. Lately I have been having very frightening anxiety attacks - my chest hurts and my throat feels as if it is closing up. I can't sleep and I feel so desperately sad all the time. I had a very traumatic childhood and I am having flashbacks, which are hard to deal with. To make matters worse I have an extreme fear of doctors, I just can't go near them. It's such a big problem.. I'd very much like to know if there are any other people out there who have the same phobia of doctors.. Lately I feel that I don't want to go anymore. I feel so alone

7 likes, 264 replies

264 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Rachel do u live on your own? I can understand the crying thing- why dont u email Jp@the samaritans - its email and they will support you and make suggestions and it really helps to know and listen to someone - i coudlnt talk to them but email support really kept me going. I really feel for you - its a horrible place to be and despite medication, I still have days when I am in that same place - lonely, isolating, dark, unable to see beyond BUT thasnk to medication I also have days when I am glad to be alive - keep going, its a temporary thing and def dont see a GP who isnt sensitve and reassuring - dont u have one who is approachable and nice? take care xxxxx You are not alone in this x

• Posted

Hi, I'm married, but my husband doesn't know anything of my past. He's never had any sympathy for people who dwell on the past and he'd be so scornful if he knew how depressed I was. He knows I'm not right but he thinks it's a virus. He'd never understand. If I could just contact the samaritans by email alone I think I could do that. I just don't want to talk to anyone yet, and I definitely don't want to see anyone.. I don't know of any nice doctors, but that's not to say there aren't any.. thank-you for this x
  • Posted

Rachel r u able 2 c a practice nurse and tell them how u feelin they do have a little more control over a Dr 2 recomend u 2 c if they no wot its about and they can put the Dr in the picture 4 u 2 make it a little easier on u.The nurses tend 2 b a little more sensetive and will listen 2 u. While u r in such a fradgile state u dont want 2 b makin any rash disisions and putting yourself in any dificult or distressing situations this will only make things worse. If the emailing is helpping u need 2 talk 2 some1. As 4 the tears and falling apart iv had 1 of them day 2day and still have quiet alot. Is there anything u find calms u down at all?. I dont no if u live on your own or not but i use 2 turn the house around empty draws and do ironing housework redecorate at night if i cant sleep i have 2 fight the anxiaty and do something. I hope u do get the support u need, when ever u feel like sounding of or need 2 talk plenty of us here 2 listen and we no wot its like.

Take care happy 2 talk if u want 2.xx

• Posted

Hi.I can't go near anyone who has something to do with the medical profession - Im so bad with this.. I was never allowed to show any emotion, so all the crying I'm doing now is quite scary for me. I live with my husband, but he knows nothing of all this. Keeping my mind occupied does help a lot, but today has been a day when I havent been able to do anything.. Thanks so much, you've all made me feel a bit better, I don't feel so alone now xx
  • Posted

Rachel,

I posted a link earlier but it has to be approved. The details are:- Mind over Matter by Dennis Greenberger & Christine A. Padesky (1995), The Guildford Press.

I found it on a search at Amazon. I dug out of the worksheets and the book title was there!

Good luck and I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. smile

• Posted

Thanks very much Justina... xx
  • Posted

u doin the right thing talkin on here and the web sites your on and if its helpin u need 2 keep doin it this is a nasty ilness and u souldnt feel u r on your own, your not.

Take care stay strong.

Hope 2day is a better day. xxx

• Posted

thanks, I will definitely keep on looking for info on it all.. I do feel a bit better today, thankfully x
  • Posted

Thanks very much Justina xxx
  • Posted

hiya peeps cheesygrin

ive a very long history of bouts of depression, over 40 years, its genetic with me, im very slowly coming out of a very long episode, two and a half years and counting 8)

anyhooooos the book mentioned 'mind over mood' is superb and is very straight forward and easy reading, it was also recomended to me by an excellent psychologist many moons ago.

one thing i can guarantee rachel is that talking therapy (CBT) will do you the world of good given your background, keep talking cheesygrin

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

Thanks Ken, so sorry that you've had such a long time with it, it's horrible...The book does sound very good, I will definitely look it up.. It is feeling better to talk about things Rachel
  • Posted

I am coming out of a 4 year depression. Today is the 4th year anniversary of my Fathers death which was very sudden and was the trigger of this bout. I miss him terribly and do feel rather low today but I know that so does my Mother and brother feel sad today also and that is normal.

I tried CBT and it was good and still remember some of the methods used to change my attirude/way of thinking about things.

I will just have to keep taking the tablets confused

• Posted

I know how u feel justina its 6 years on monday when my best friend commited suicide and i miss her every day. Anniversarys r always difficult 2 deal with let alone suffering with depression aswell. Hope u ok and take comfort in your loved 1s they will be feelin it aswell and as a family b there 4 each other.

Take care.xxx

• Posted

Thank you Shadow. Its a question of accepting a loss, its part of life and part of the grieving process. Still doesn't make it easy though.
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear you are both at painful anniversaries...Losing someone you love is impossible to get over. I'm not that sure time heals anything either.... I hope you're ok xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.