Depressed and seeking help

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I'm 23 and have suffered from depression since I was 15. I have only recently sought medical help and am currently on CBT. However sometimes it doesn't help, I don't have many friends and if I don't have any social interaction my brain defaults to thinking they don't care. It also makes maintaining any sort of romantic relationship possible, and if any end I have real difficulty moving on and display clingy behaviour that makes staying friends impossible. I'm thinking of asking for medication but the side effects are scaring me off.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi opening first of all go to your doctor about medication hes the best person to advise you on what medication would best you ! Dont always read into things about certain meds being bad for you meds affect us all in different  ways so side effects  are not always the same ! I really hope you go back to your doctor and get the help you may need good luvk (david)
    • Posted

Hi David

Thanks for the response, I have an appointment Wednesday morning to talk about going on meds and whether my GP thinks that it is appropriate. 

• Posted

Well done i wish you well and hope you get the help you need please let me know how you get on take care (david)
  • Posted

Opening,

Good evening to you.  As one that has almost had depression for my entire life (I'm now almost 68), I hear loudly where you are coming from.  Depression is an illness that will absolutely desimate your life.  Been there, done that for a very long time.

Taken medications for a long time, but slowly got all of the over 30 I was taking at one time, to now but two different types daily.

Medications, especially psychotrophic medications, can very well be scary.  And, there is a very good reason for that!  They not only change and impede your true self, but can also change you, the person, you the personality as well.

Since I have stopped taking so many medications, I feel better physically, and can think with a straight, clear head.  Not so when I am dopped up on antidepressants and anxiety medicines.  I have seen first hand what the type of medication do to people.

People make your own decissions, but be warned.  Handle life with a straight clear head, not one that is so dopped up they don't even realize what they are doing for most of the time.

The side effects should scare you and every person out in la la land too!

When you are in a depressed way, the last thing you need is someone to become romantic.  Give your life the space you need, and seek socialization in a more friendlier zone.

• Posted

all anti psychotic medicine will have some form of side effect but the modern ones are better than they were 40 years ago.  See someone and try to work out where to go from here.

Richard

• Posted

ive been prescribed mirtazapine has anyone had experience with this?

• Posted

your brain is lying to you that is what the cbt is trying to help with.  I would wait out the romantic side until you are thinking in a better way. keep going and things will gradually change.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.