Depressed for a month, Afraid of contracting HIV

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I had sex with a commercial sex worker with condoms 45days back. The sex happend for about 1 hr and I was not drunk by the time. But dint check the condom expiry date before using it. After the intercouse i removed the condom and i cudnt find any breakage in it. But after that fear gets into me about the HIV contracting risks. I surfed the internet and found condoms aren't 100% safe. In these 45 days i got common cold, sore throat, itching in the gential area and often tired and body pain. Im.completely depressed in thinking of the HIV infection and should I really need to survie a period.of 90 days to get the test done?. Are there any test to do before that and how effevtive it is?. Please help.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think the best thing you can do is go and see your doctor as soon as possible,

if you get the test done you are going to have to wait for about three weeks to get the results back,

be more careful in the future,

geri

• Posted

Well. In my view you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You used a condom and while they may not be 100% safe they are pretty nearly so.  HIV/AIDS is not particularly common in UK and sex workers no doubt do a lot to protect themselves.  There may be a slightly higher risk from sex workers - I'd guess they don't normally allow unprotected sex but the major risks in UK are gay and bisexual men and those of both genders from sub-saharan Africa.

I think the advice from Geri61 will prove good. See a doctor and if this really worries you avoid sex workers in future

• Posted

The reason you may be having these symptoms can be anxiety of thinking you have contracted the virus. I agree that you should go get tested just to put your mind at ease.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone.. Can someone please explain more about the tests.? I mean what are the available HIV tests and which one I have to prefer now (i.e after 45 days of possible exposure)
  • Posted

Saty, the best thing is to just go to the Doctor. They will explain the process and answer all of your questions. This will also help to relieve some of your anxiety. Good luck
  • Posted

To put your mind at ease you could test for HIV at your local GUM clinic now and repeat in 90 days if negative. That should give you some peace of mind. 
  • Posted

Hi saty, based on your post, your risk of contracting HIV with this encounter is LOW. Your symptoms could be anything from a normal cold, to your anxiety, which can cause the symptms you mentioned. It is suggested to get tested 60 and/or 90 days after contact to kow for sure. Until then Try Not To Worry.. At your test ask the GP if anything further is suggesed. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi Saty

Try not to worry as I'm sure you will be OK and stop searching the internet for answers at this will only fuel your anxiety with various non educated diagnosis's. If you do a search in you ara for HIV and hepatitis testing, this can normally be done in the local hospital and can ofted be done anonomiously if you wish and the results are ready the same day or the next so you dont need to wait two weeks as in the GUM clinics. The latest 4th gen tests for HIV will give you an accuret result from about 2-3 weeks exposure. Go and speak to a qualified clinician who will give you factual information. Dont worry and from my personal experience,anxiety is your worst enemy just now. 

• Posted

Hope you have told your wife/girlfriend to get tested also !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.