Depressed for a year now

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be here anymore. What's here for me? What am I on this earth for? To be alone forever? To struggle until I'm dead. I'm 24. Never been in a relationship. Depressed. Worry about everything, have bad anxiety, no friends, no job. Haven't had a job for 8 months now, have had one interview. One. Out of 35+. I'll never have a career. I'm afraid of life and I don't know what to do anymore

4 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you are feeling so negative regarding your life I would advise you talk to NHS HELPLINE on Tel 111 andexplain to them your fears and concerns They will triage and decide what way they can help you.

You can also make an apointment to see your GP and explain your low mood and what has caused it.

At this time it must be a problem finding a new vocation and it can be worse for people in their mid twenties, all I can suggest you could try Agencies and the Job Centre, the latter does courses to help you job hunt by educating in writing applications and attending interviews.

I have not had paid employment now for quite a  while in fact I am now a Pensioner..who does some Voluntary Work, sometimes this can lead to full time employment with that organisation

I do not know if you have been to College or University, could you attend and take a preffered course, so you train and use your time to gain further qualifications, I did that a long time ago and it helped me change the direction of my Voluntary work

B.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I did 3 years at uni, have a bachelor in design but can't find any jobs going. Ive been to consellling for 2 months but its wasnt the right method for me. Ill have to try another conselor who uses different methods. I do want to do volunteer work but I want to get a job first so I have money to live. I have done a few volunteer jobs whilst looking but month after month i was getting no where and now it's been 8 moths. I feel hopeless, useless and feel like a failure

• Posted

You are not a failure.

You could try a job that is not commensurate to your qualifications just to get yourself some experience, as you look for a job that will be more in line with your Tickets. 

I was an Engineer and when I left College I sold carpets  for about six months before I found my life position. It will help you get some money in and whatever you choose is an experience of something different

B.

B.

• Posted

Thanks for that, made me feel better about not using my degree just yet. I have been told it's all experience, hard when it's been so many months without finding one. I'm signed with temp agencies and places that say they'll help you. Hard to not give up but I'll keep trying. Thanks

• Posted

Hello, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I also am in a really bad depression right now and I'm having trouble seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm 23. I know it's hard to see it but trust me when I say it will get better. A few months, or even a year from now you will look back and be glad you're still here and I know I'll say the same about myself. <3

• Posted

Hello, it's hard isn't it. You feel like giving up because all the thoughts in your head ask you why carry on. I just don't see the point in being here if I feel like I'll always be alone and never have a career. I hope things change in a few months. It's been so long, I can't believe this year is nearly over, honestly been the hardest year I've had. I hope you feel better soon too smile

• Posted

Don't be concerned about not having been in a relationship yet.  Twenty-four is young, and maybe you are just waiting for the right person. I suffered from anxiety and depression when a teenager and in early 20's, and have been free of it for many years...it CAN get better and even go away! Your current stresses probably contribute to it.  I have two suggestions that I really, really hope you will take: 1.) Find something fun that you like to do or that you think you would like to try and do it, especially if it involves a group of people.  2.) Sign up with a temporary employment agency and tell them that you are looking for a temp-to-hire job. Temp agency are often a good way to get into a company.  Good Luck!  You will have a Happy and Successful life with love and joy!!!

• Posted

Thanks for your comment. I dread every birthday. I think it's because I feel like I haven't achieved anything. I've got a bachelors degree yet I feel like I haven't achieved anything because I can't get a job in that field. And the whole relationship thing, I feel like I'm to blame because of how much I hate myself, so I don't go out and when I did I didn't meet anyone anyway. I'm not sure how I'll ever be right again, I can't see how someone talking to me is going to help, but it seems to help others.. I've signed up for night classes next year in something I've always wanted to learn, and I'm with a temp agency but they've never contacted me with jobs yet. Thanks for commenting

• Posted

Earning a Bachelor's degree is an achievement! 

Keep being social and seeing friends.   It will help to lift your mood.   

• Posted

Hi a69086 - sorry to read of your problem. Sounds like depression. The first step is to make a doctors appointment. Be open and honest with the doc about how you feel. Meds may be prescribed, along with a counselling session with a professional where you can empty out your woes and work them out. There are likely underlying issues to your situation which need to be brought out into the light. Life is a hard place, made harder by the expectations of society and the sense of imperfection that is constatntly bombarding us. Meditation can also help to lighten those worries. Your life is purposeful no matter how bad things seem. The condition of life is also impermanent unlike your soul. Work through this challenge. Make that doctors appointment today, and best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Hello wayne1962, I finally booked in to see a counselor a few months ago but after going there for a couple months i found that it wasn't working for me. The method she used didn't work. I do need to find another place because I don't want to feel like this forever. I defintly agree with what you said about the expections society put out and sense of imperfection. Its everywhere, all over social media and I do find myself wondering if i'm normal because everyone else seems to be different. So I question myself.

Thank you very much 

• Posted

What one thing are you going to do for yourself today? What about making a doctor's appointmen? You know me, I will check back.

Your friend

Don't compare yourself to your sister. Maybe she just got it together faster than you. There is hope!

• Posted

What was the one thing you did for yourself today? ( no matter how small) Told you I would check up on you........
    • Posted

Hi sashagirl, I helped my dad out at his work and went for a run in the evening. I did the same today, and will go for another run tonight. Thanks for asking. I try not to compare but shes only 21 and I had nothing at that age and still don't, I just feel out of place. Don't feel normal. 

Thanks for messaging 

• Posted

SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Two days is great. Keeping busy is great and I am sure your dad appreciates the help. The endorphins after running are so good for you. Try to call your doctor today. There is nothing wrong with needing meds. This is a disease. I am on meds and I could not function without them. My mom tries to understand but she really doesn't get it. She feels someone should try hard and eventually get over it. She loves me and tries to help....oh well I just have to understand that she doesn't understand. Call your doctor and I will check back Thursday. Takee care of YOURSELF!

• Posted

Thank you. Yeah it's hard but have to make myself do it. Looking every day online is tough, not finding anything and feeling like a failure. Yeah not a lot of people understand. I'm trying to find a place to call up, theres a lot around, just want to find the right one. Thanks smile

• Posted

That angel that whispers in my ear told me to check before Thurs. Don't keep searching online. Pick three that look good and make an appt. with one. It will take a couple of times to see if you like him or her. It might be a good match or it might not, if it doesn't you call the next one, and so on. This will be the hard part bc you will feel like you tried and the doc thing didn't work so why try again...what's the use? It took me four times. I wanted to give up. My friend had to come to my house, dial the number, then shoved the phone in my face! I found someone amazing bc I kept trying. I will be there for you. Pick three tomorrow and let me know.

• Posted

Sorry I was talking about a job. But yes I agree, I just need to pick one and go in and make an appointment. Hard for me to do but it's something I have to do. Thank You

• Posted

Doc. 1st... then job. It can take these meds up to six weeks to really take effect. You are lucky you can lean on your patents for financial stability. You may not think so but there are lots of people like us that ate homeless bc they don't have that. Doc first... one step at a time. Stop upsetting yourself staring at the computer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.