depressed in va

Posted , 3 users are following.

ben depressed since june.severly depressed since oct.withdrawls from venafaxline.using prozac for 4 weeks.still depressed.took venafaxaline for 17 years.some body please give some reassurance.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Melissa how are you doing.....

You are smart and unique....stay strong....you can go through this!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Venlafaxine has helped a lot of people, but many do not like it because coming off it is so difficult.  I took 150mg daily for a number of years, and it took me 10 months to withdraw so I did not get withdrawals.  I stopped cold turkey once before, but withdrawals bad.

I cannot take Prozac as it makes me very ill.  I have had depression for over 20 years, and battled hard. Took many different anti depressants.  I thought the Effexor was the best for me, but on doctor's advice, withdrew last year. 

Are you now withdrawing from the Venlafaxine and going onto Prozac?  Did you find the Venlafaxine now longer helping you?  I presume you are getting withdrawals now coming off the drug. 

I am in a down at the moment, but do not want to go back onto anti depressants.  Want to see how I do without.  Was coping until few days ago, but had ups and downs even when taking anti depressants, but often think I shiould have stayed on the Venlafaxine for life. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

what did prozac do to you?how long did you take effexor?christmas was bad for me to!what where your withdrawls like going cold turkey?i was taken off in three days.it pooped out on me.it done good though 17 years is a long time.its just the crying and unmotivated so bad.i go to bed at 4 or 5 in the evening its been so bad.i am sorry your down to.glad we got this forum where we can chat with each other.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Melissa.  We are much the same in that we have had depression for a long time.  I never thought I would be well enough to come off anti depressants, but my doctor suggested I try.  I have taken a lot of different medications.  I took Effexor for 5 years, came off it cold turkey, the depression returned within 6 months, so I went back on it for another 4 years.  Stopped last year - 16 months without medication.  It is good that it helped you for 17 years.  I woulkd go back on it if I really needed to, as it helped a lot, but I would have to take it for the rest of my life as could not bear to go through that months of withdrawal.  It did help though, as I did not get all those awful zaps in my head and the terrible withdrawals. 

A pshychuiatrist told me I should not take Prozac, but when a doctor prescribed it, although I told him this, he still gave it to me.  I should not have taken it.  Obviously the psychiatrist knew it would not suit me.  It gave me terrible agitation.  I could not stay still.  I ran around or walked around crying all the time in an agitated state.  My stomach was in turmoil.  Oh it was terrible.  I stopped it myself after about 2 tweeks I think.  I was put on the Venlafaxine after that, and was OK.  Only side effect with that was weight gain and indigestion. 

You should have been advised to withdraw very slowlky as withdrwal symptoms are bad, and that is what you are getting now.  It may take some time to clear your system, and then when the Prozac kicks in, you should feel better. 

Keep in touch and let me know how yoiu are.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up