Depressed now really fed up!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi im 16 wks tkr po and went back to phased return at work last wk! I have been not to bad with the pain since my tkr that is until now! Im struggling really bad since iv been back at work! Im not on my feet for to long but have to sit with leg down! It is swelling a lot and really painful. Im working for 5 hours but am going up to 6 wks next wk and the wk after then up to 7 hours. I just want to hear from fellow people as to wether or not this is normal as im using my leg more. Im swimming and exercising to strengthen leg and muscles! Im frustrated and worried. I know iv got to take it slowly but the pain is really making me feel depressed! Any advice greatly excepted thank you gosh this is mentally demanding!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Dont worry it will get better! Its 5 weeks since I had my partial knee replacement. I actually went back to work after 3 weeks! I sit down and have an office job and I have a box with a pillow under my desk and keep my leg or both legs up as much as I can and also have an ice pack. I have had some swelling since I went back to work but doing the elevating and icing have worked well for me.  I am still in pain mostly in the mornings, some days have been good and some with more pain, but today I feel great!  Try elevating your leg at work if you are able to I am sure your colleagues will understand. Wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Dont worry it will get better! Its 5 weeks since I had my partial knee replacement. I actually went back to work after 3 weeks! I sit down and have an office job and I have a box with a pillow under my desk and keep my leg or both legs up as much as I can and also have an ice pack. I have had some swelling since I went back to work but doing the elevating and icing have worked well for me.  I am still in pain mostly in the mornings, some days have been good and some with more pain, but today I feel great!  Try elevating your leg at work if you are able to I am sure your colleagues will understand. Wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Dont worry it will get better! Its 5 weeks since I had my partial knee replacement. I actually went back to work after 3 weeks! I sit down and have an office job and I have a box with a pillow under my desk and keep my leg or both legs up as much as I can and also have an ice pack. I am getting some swelling since I went back to work but doing the elevating and icing have worked well for me.  I am still in pain mostly in the mornings, some days have been good and some with more pain, but today I feel great!  Try elevating your leg at work if you are able to I am sure your colleagues will understand. Wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Dont worry it will get better! Its 5 weeks since I had my partial knee replacement. I actually went back to work after 3 weeks! I sit down and have an office job and I have a box with a pillow under my desk and keep my leg or both legs up as much as I can and also have an ice pack. I have had some swelling since I went back to work but doing the elevating and icing have worked well for me.  I am still in pain mostly in the mornings, some days have been good and some bad, but today I feel great!  Try elevating your leg at work if you are able to I am sure your colleagues will understand. Wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Debbie

Don’t worry it will get better! Its 5 weeks since I had my partial knee replacement. I actually went back to work after 3 weeks! I sit down and have an office job and I have a box with a pillow under my desk and keep my leg or both legs up as much as I can and also have an ice pack. I have had some swelling since I went back to work but doing the elevating and icing have worked well for me.  I am still in pain mostly in the mornings, some days have been good and some bad but today I feel great!  Try elevating your leg at work if you are able to I am sure your colleagues will understand. Wish you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I am 12 weeks post op and due back at work Monday week, I have to go straight to 8 hrs a day and am on feet all day, really worried as when on feet any length time my leg swells and stiffens. I too am keeping up ith all physio and bike, walking etc. 

I think we just need to take our time and be patient and rest ice and elevate when get home. Nobody really prepares us for the enormity of this operation, do they? 

Can you see if you can stay at 5hrs maybe next week?

Thinking of you. 

• Posted

Hang in there Debbie; it does get better. I think Isabell had a great idea of finding a way to elevate your leg while you are sitting. Keep in mind, that you sould still try to do some of your exercises too. Lifting and holding, bending further. Unfortunately, you knee will still get stiff. After over 1.5 years, mine still gets stiff and I have to be aware of how long it's been bent or straightened. But, it's no where like it was before the surgery. And keep drinking lots of water.
  • Posted

Debbie: While I am at work, I keep a trashcan turned upside down with a pillow on top of it under my desk at work. I also have an ice pack in the freezer at work -- I make sure I sit up straight and place my leg on top of the pillow, and the ice on my knee. I usually do this when I know I am going to be sitting still for a while. Also during the day, I will put my chair up high (so my feel are hanging) and put my good leg in front of my bad one and push back on the bad leg. Believe it or not, but it feels good. When you get home ice and elevate. We all need to be patient and know it's gonna take a while! xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.