Depressed, potential body dysmorphia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I just want to keep this as quick as possible to try and get some advice,

For 4-5 years now my life has been wasting away. I almost seem quite embarrassed to share this but i am really down about the appearance of my under eyes, they look really bad, make me look like i am not well. I am obsessed over it so much that i rarely go without a couple of hours of looking at them in the mirror to see how bad they look.

They look swollen looking and when i catch a glimpse of them outdoors through reflections like car windows it really brings me down and makes me literally have 0 confidence, so much that when i see them like that i go back home. As the day goes on, under my eyes get quite shiny/oily and then they look their worst.

I know this seems really really shallow but this actually really effects me. I struggle to make eye contact with anyone and i never want to do anything practical. I stay indoors most of the time and only briefly go out when its dark outdoors so people can't see me.

I really feel like this is holding me back from living my life, feeling good about myself and having confidence. Especially because I know if i didn't have this issue i would perhaps be out there socializing and not wasting away my life like a sad person at the age of 25.

I honestly feel broken with this issue and i really want to make this better. I haven't experienced with concealer or anything, im a guy, i don't know where to start with that, there are so many, and i don't think it would help much if i exercise.

The other thing i have looked at is tear trough filler but if it goes wrong it will make me feel even worse perhaps.

I really don't know what to do but i need sort myself out because i have wasted years of my life.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. One of my sisters has a bumpy nose and has used this as a reason to waste her life. She suffers from anxiety though and I wonder if your issues are caused by this and you are fixating on one physical flaw rather than dealing with other issues?

I suffer from depression much more than anxiety and what has made it a lot worse was having very severe acne in my teens and being left with scarred and pitted skin which no matter how much I use never can cover it.

I felt like you for years but did seem medical treatment for it which helped determined I was going to have a good life regardless and I have. Ok I have had many hurtful comments from men and must have heard ever 'ugly woman' joke in the book, but found my personality got me bf's who could see beyond that. You will find the same in your life too so live it to the full x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.