depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I have suffered depression over past two years and was on 40mg citalopram. I started to feel better start of year so got myself back to work. I then started feeling better even more so decided to come down to 20mg. Tgis week it has hit me hard and i have had to stay off work and all i have done is sleep and feel worthless. I dont want contact with anyone but today i really want this to go away can someone give suggestions to help me xx

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

I am surprised they are stil allowed to use this drug tbh.

I am sure it caused my silent heart attack?

I fluctuated from 20 mgs to 60mgs at my worst.

any dose over 40mgs isnt recommneded anymore,too late for me though.

I wouldnt trust the drug now in any dose.Antidepressant citalopram heart safety warning

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/07July/Pages/antidepressant-citalopram-qt-heart-rhythm-safety-warning.aspx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Scott, sorry to hear your not feeling good.

I've suffered from depression for about 5 years and I'm 24 now. I've taken all different types of anti-depressants including citalopram, but none of them helped me apart from mirtazapine. Have u tried that before? I know everyone's one different but these pills have changed my life completely in the last 2 months. Before that I was signed off work and wouldn't leave my flat..

Just think that the way you are feeling at the moment is just a fase and it will fade, as you have proved previously. 

If u want to talk more you can message me.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You might just need to stay at 40mg.  I have battled with dosage of other meds for a while.  Talk to your doctor.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I would say that you cut down by too much, it's always best to taper down slowly . Maybe try going back up to 40 mg for 7 days then 30 mg for 7 days then 20mg for 7 days and so on until you are off them. This is what I am doing and it's been ok so far, I try to come off my meds to fast before and it made me very unwell I was more depressed and anxious than ever and felt good for nothing so now I have tryed both ways and tapering down slow is much better

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You may have reduced your dose too quickly (I did the same with my meds a couple of years ago and relapsed). You should probably go back to 40mg, but discuss it with your GP. You will need a bit of time back on a higher dose for things to settle down again, but you will get back there. In future reduce dose very slowly!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have heard that going straight from 40mg to 20mg can be harsh enough on the system. I think I read it somewhere else in the forum. Sorry I can't remember.

I do remember however, that someone said they went from a high dose to a lower dose by shaving progressively more and more of the tablet off each day and taking the rest. Or else they did that to get off them completely though. Same prinicple though. 

I must warn though, this was their own idea. Not a doc's advice. But sounds like it makes sense to me and I believe, if I remember correctly, they felt it worked for them.

Something to try anyways smile 

If you look in the citalopram discussions you might be able to see some posts about people who have gone through similar situations. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up