depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

i been of for 7 weeks due to work related depression and i have wagws to day and only received ssp , can any one advise as have been told as work related i should get full pay 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

it depends how long you have been with the employer for, and what sort of contract you are on. Sadly, alot of employers use contracts which they know will allow them to get out of paying these sort of benefits.  I thought that if you have been with the same employer for at least 2 years on a permanent contract they had to pay full sick pay. Your'e best bet would be to ask the citizens advice bureau.

Hope you manage to sort it out.

• Posted

No that's not the case at all Carole.   No employer has to give you full pay when off sick or even half.  It depends entirely on the employer and should be listed in the terms of the contract.   The big employers like the Civil Service,  Local Government and the NHS for example generally do but not other companies necessarily.  

It is perfectly legal  to pay just Statury sick pay which is slighly higher than benefits.   If you don't qualify for this by the length of time you have been there or work enough hours then they won't even pay you that and you have to claim state benefits instead.   Bev x

• Posted

As Carole says it depends on how long you have been with your employer. Try the company Human Resources Department or as Carole says the Citizens Advice Bureau either should be able to help.  Good Luck.
    • Posted

Hi Gwen you do get more rights when you have been with an employer for 2 years or more ie they cannot sack you unless it is for a valid reason such as misconduct,  or not fulfulling your contract (sickness can be used to justify this as well). 

You do not get rights to full or half sick pay no matter how long you have been with the employer unless that is in the contract.  It is perfectly legal to only pay statutory sick pay  (SSP).   Bev x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine.   See my reply to Carole please.   Depending on your circumstances you might be able to claim other benefits.  If for example you are the only one employed in your family or are on your own you should be able to claim housing benefit and council tax rebate and maybe free or help with prescriptions,  dental and glasses. 

As we can't put links on here am sending you a good one by pm.  Bev x 

• Posted

Thanks Hypercat. I stand corrected. Havent had sickpay for a long time, so my knowledge is out of date. I was on Incapacity Benefit, but had the plug pulled on that a couple of years back, like loads of others!!!

Carole

• Posted

Ha ha no worries Carole.   I used to work for the DWP and keep up to date on the changes etc. 

Incapacity Benefit changed to ESA (employment and support allowance) years ago now and those on IB who qualified were gradually changed over to ESA,  which has much more stringent rules and regulations.   It's part of the Govt's policy for the war on the sick and the idea that most people on benefits are scamming.   I don't know where the employers are who would employ anyone who is sick though....   Bev x

• Posted

Hi,

yes I had to go to one those notorious ATOS assesments, and did quite well, as I only missed being awarded ESA by a few points.  I could have appealed, but couldnt face the idea of going to some awful tribunal, trying to justify why I cant really work.  Luckily we are not so badly off that I desperately need the money, but I really feel for the people who do!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.