depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi i have had depression since the age of 18 and i am now 52 most times i fill like i want to end my life as there is a dark tunnel and i get a lot of panick attacks does any one fill like that

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison, please dont give up as I know exactly where you are in your life, unfortunatly I suffer with depression (for 32years) and I am often in my black tunnel as i call it and cant see the light at the end is that how you feel? Well I have tried my hardness to not be here, but I am, yes there is alot of pain which I am sure you have felt as you say you have suffered for a long time but just remember over the time you must have had good days, ie have you got children? I know its hard and panicky but do you see a psychiatrist or your gp who handle how you feel if so I would try and get in touch with them and ask them to either see you or if they can put your meds up, also tell them how you feel especially the sucidial part.  I do hope you get nearer to the end of your tunnel and you see a tiny little light as you are not on your own, there is alot of people on this forum who feel like this so dont think you are on your own and no-one know how you feel.  At the moment I have come out of my tunnel but its been a hard time and a long time, but I got listened to from a psychiatrist and that helped so much, so please try and get some help by your gp or mental health team, I wish you luck and I will keep writing to you take care
    • Posted

thank you for replying back to me the mental health team is saying that i dont need to see them but last month i went to see my doctor and i told him what i fill like then the next thing was the police came to the surgery and arresed me and took me to mason ward to see the mental health team they came and they discharged me at 1 oclock in the morning i think it is all wrong they are not treating me very good at all

• Posted

Hi Alison, I know how you feel.Times are tough !Have you ever tried reflexology or aromatherapy? Both very good for stress.Maybe it would do you good to have a break?swim? Do you like art? You can buy art therapy books everywhere! Your local health food shop will hopefully help! Please don't you give up! I am a carer of my husband and nearly 5 months post hip op! Still a way to go.regards Amanda
  • Posted

Hi Alison I'm 52 as well,I've battled anxiety and depression since my late teens some of those battles I won and what a feeling,but all that seems a million miles away now. I 've ended up on a psychiatric ward three times despite this I work full time,but believe me when I say every day I am full of anxiety and despair,but I still believe one day I will get better. I know being menopausal contributed to how I was feeling last year and hrt helped so maybe a chat with your gp might help,don't let him palm you off. Before coming on this site I could not even put my feelings of anxiety and depression Into words but reading other people's posts has helped a lot as I can now identify with what people are going through and it helps me to identify my own feelings. It sounds cleshaid (bad spelling) but when I am going through that tunnel I really feel like I'm the only one going through it.It is such a lonely place I hope you find some comfort on this site as well.I'm here for a chat if you need it x

• Posted

hi i have been talking a lot to my doctor on how i am feeling its like i just want to end my life as no one is taking notice of me i have tryed to end my life about 5 times

• Posted

Ps there is a book worth reading self help for your nerves by Dr Clair weeks you can get it on Amazon. X
  • Posted

Hi Alison, I so sorry that the mental health team treated you that way, there is no way the doctors should have phoned the police never heard of such things thats really really bad.  I feel for you so much, especially as you are not getting any sort of help, I really dont understand where they are coming from I just dont know what to say, only please stay strong and you will get help just keep asking and talking to them and say how you feel etc, I just dont know what else I can do for you... just take care
  • Posted

Alison, don't ever give up...there are better days ahead.  My depression comes and goes, and most of it is due to hormonal changes in my body.  I am way past menopause, but I still have problems getting my hormones to level out.  Just keep the faith, and look for better days...
    • Posted

hi carole28488 well can you tell me i am 52 and i think i am going through the menopause i stop my pirods when i was 48 i am having lots of hot flushes still so is that still the menopause as this is getting me down a lot

• Posted

Yes, Allison, I'm afraid it sounds like menopause, but you can ask you OBGYN to do a blood test to see what you may need.  I have had a hysterectomy so I can't take progestrone...I can, however, take Vivelle Dots, a patch that works wonders for me.  Don't get discouraged...Women all around the world have what we are going through and it is completely natural..You will have a lot of good days, too.
  • Posted

hi Alison, yes the hot flushes are all part of the menopause, Im afraid, I used to call them my personal summers!!! it sounded better. I am  past the menopause but my anti depression Sertraline gives me hot sweats, and sometimes my hair etc just look as if I have just come out of the shower and probably all I have done is take the rubish to the dustbins, but someone told me they had them when they where on them, so I feel alittle bit better as I know what they are.
  • Posted

Hi again Alison, I would go along to your gp and discuss the hormone replacement therapy HRT anxiety depression and mood swings are are so common during the menopause. I have always suffered with anxiety and depression but failed to notice when it got really bad I felt like I had completely lost the plot and had to go to hospital.I so wish I had recognized that it was hormonal,and I could of done something about it. What have you got to lose? It's so hard to see away out when you feel so low,you don't imagine anything is going to work,it would be worth looking into complementary therapies like reflexology as someone else has mentioned we have to keep moving forward. Are you on any medication, could you maybe try new meds if these are not working or maybe increase the dose. Hope you get help soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.