Depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, 

After a few days of really really trying to keep positive I'm feeling really bad again this evening. Is this something I will just need to learn to live with now? I can't seem to get any enjoyment out of anything anymore.

Any advice will be gratefully received x

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find that If I force myself to do something physical I will often feel better. Today it's scraping ice off the car unfortunately. However, sometimes even doing dishes etc helps. Long dog walks are the best since I have lovely dogs. I think the activity helps balance my brain.

Sometimes it's very hard to get motivated so each person has to find what helps them. All the best,

Nancy

• Posted

Hi dk

aww it's an horrendous illness for sure. How long have you been on your antidepressants now? What one is it?

It's so difficult trying to keep positive when you feel like rubbish.

I spent a good week gloating in how good I was feeling, only to spend the last few days in bed unwell.

Have you had any improvement dk? It's not something you have to learn to live with. You need the right tools/meducation to get better. Existing is not enough. .you deserve to have a good quality of life. Have you had a meds review recently? Do you know what's triggered you feeling lower today?

Here for you xx

• Posted

Hi guys thanks for the responses. It truly is a horrible illness! At the moment I'm on 100 Sertraline and have been for about 3 months, I'm due to see my doctor a week tomorrow. I had a little bit of improvement but I always feel it there, it's just some days I'm able to cope better than others. Generally I just try to push through and keep positive but every few days I feel really really bad and it all kind of comes out. x
    • Posted

With you on that dk!

I understand that to be part of the recovery process. One minute you feel like the sun has come out of hibernation, only to find it disappears again! Quite cruel to us folk trying to reclaim our lives! Would be interested to know what your doctors view is.

Please update your post if up to it xx

• Posted

Hi hun

I've been the same. Morning is my worst I wake up with such a low negative mood and my thoughts stay like that. I'm trying a shift back at work tomorrow after being off since August and now I'm having panic attacks thinking about it.

I seem to feel a little better when I'm with other people as it makes your mind think about something else. But coming home again is the killer for me even thiugh I have teenage boys I'm lonely. I'm here if you ever need to talk xxxxx

• Posted

Kelly that's the same for me, dread coming home, especially diring the day,I haven't gone back to work yet, maybe I should? But been going through a blip last few days so it scares me if I get a job what if I have them off days again. Gosh looks like life is pretty sh*te from here onwards
    • Posted

Hi, funny you use the word dread. I can't sleep much and I wake up in the middle of the night with this awful feeling that I can only describe as dread.

Right now I am living in a better place than before but I don't feel any better. In fact, I am worried and anxious all the time. Lack of sleep makes it worse.

Nancy

• Posted

And I totally get the bit where it's always there in the background on good days trying to force it's way through. I'm wondering if there's anyway we can have a wee support group on a social networking site but are we allowed to do that through here xx
  • Posted

It's really difficult dealing with depression, I think it is that way for a lot of us in that even on the good days you're aware that depression is there, niggling away, waiting to break out again. 

On my better days I sometimes feel down just at the thought of, "this is me on a good day...I may feel steady but, I still feel so rubbish!" but, I think it gets to a point where there are more good days than bad, and the good days start getting better, and maybe hopefully the low points won't be anywhere near how they are now. 

Hopefully! 

• Posted

Hi dk,

How are you?

Excuse my ignorance, but is this a long term depression? Is it a depression that returns as a reaction to a bad situation or loss?

I only ask because mine comes n goes at its own free will, nothing happens in my life to be able to say I'm depressed "because of" Is yours like that?

Sorry if I'm talking twaddle, been bad myself lately but I do try to support others because I know it so well!

Hugs

Belinda

• Posted

Hi Belinda, I think it's a long term thing, I have every reason to be happy but I'm constantly anxious and feeling a bit hopeless,

Thanks foryour reply xx

• Posted

Hi dk, same here, I have everything to be happy about but this black dog just keeps wandering in and out, willy nilly! My husband even took me to Italy one time, thinking a little getaway might help, but it goes with you, I was still a zombie misery, poor husband 😔

As others have said, there are always some lovely people on here going through the same kind of hell and it's good to be able to let it out somewhere where you don't have to worry about what you say or feel!

I actually benefit by reading others thoughts and opinions, so good not to be alone and even better if I can help with any words of comfort for others.

Message anytime 😉

• Posted

How are you feeling at the moment? Are you being treated for depression? x
  • Posted

Hi! I am so sorry you are feeling so low. Sometimes I just give into the depression instead of "fighting it". I think that's ok. Actually, it takes a lot of energy to "try to keep positive", at least for me. 

Have you tried to write your thoughts and feelings down in a journal or notebook. I do that every morning, even if it is only a couple sentences.

It helps me see clearly what is on my mind, in particular, what I am thinking and things that keep bothering me over and over again. 

I have noticed that the same stupid negative thoughts keep coming into my mind and darkening my mood, over and over again. If I write it down then I can recognize it when it comes again, and stop it more quickly. Usually if I can stop a really negative spiral of thinking before it takes over, then my mood will not become too dark. 

Its easier said than done however. 

Take care of yourself. 

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Yeah I've been doing something similiar as part of my CBT but I'm not feeling any benefits to it at the moment. I have been doiung meditation which seems to be helping, but every day I wake up with panic about the day ahead and knowing I won't be able to relax or enjoy anything sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.